Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dried wallpaper paste/glue that is not water soluble?

Tried today to remove old wallpaper from a bathroom. The vinyl easily
pulled off the wall leaving only the paper backing and glue, this is
going to be easy I thought. Used a garden sprayer with warm water in it
and soaked walls (and ceiling, stuff was there as well!) waited and then
tried to go to work.

Even with the walls entirely soaked the glue would not give.

I was able to isolate some of the glue, it balled up and felt like
rubber and smashing it between wet fingers would not dissolve it?

It was almost as if the wallpaper was installed with wood glue.

The wallpaper could be 15 or more years old. Are there wallpaper glues
which dry and would not be water soluble?

Thank you for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 3:21 pm, andy everett wrote:
Tried today to remove old wallpaper from a bathroom. The vinyl easily
pulled off the wall leaving only the paper backing and glue, this is
going to be easy I thought. Used a garden sprayer with warm water in it
and soaked walls (and ceiling, stuff was there as well!) waited and then
tried to go to work.

Even with the walls entirely soaked the glue would not give.

I was able to isolate some of the glue, it balled up and felt like
rubber and smashing it between wet fingers would not dissolve it?

It was almost as if the wallpaper was installed with wood glue.

The wallpaper could be 15 or more years old. Are there wallpaper glues
which dry and would not be water soluble?

Thank you for any help.

Get some wallpaper remover solution maybe laundry detergent might help
an enzime in the soap should break it down

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use Piranha brand (from Lowe's). It munched right through everything
incredibly easily. My bathroom was the same, 20 years old with really
unknown glue. The surface came out in practically perfect-to-paint
condition.

Polycell wallpaper paste Dave UK diy 12 March 19th 07 11:29 AM
Removing wallpaper paste / preparing old bare walls sennapod UK diy 6 November 24th 05 09:48 PM
Removing "shiny" wallpaper paste residue MarkZ Home Repair 1 August 18th 05 12:28 PM
Wallpaper paste Harry K Home Repair 13 August 17th 05 07:52 AM
water soluble hornet killer Frank Thompson Home Repair 9 July 6th 05 04:05 PM