Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mixing soluble oils? Misting oils as flood coolant?

Awl--

In general is it OK to mix different soluble oils, as long as they don't
obviously clump?

In particular, can KoolMist #77 (a misting soluble oil, which gets diluted
1:32), be mixed with Rustlick 5050, thus perhaps saving me some Rustlick?
It seems to physically mix OK.
The Koolmist does seem quite a bit less viscous.

Can Koolmist et al be used as a kind of soluble oil, in the flood mode vs
the mist mode, with passable results? It seems to me that if it is
functioning as a cutting coolant in mist-mode, it ought to function at least
as well in flood-mode.

tia.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

In general is it OK to mix different soluble oils, as long as they don't
obviously clump?

Probably.

In particular, can KoolMist #77 (a misting soluble oil, which gets diluted
1:32), be mixed with Rustlick 5050, thus perhaps saving me some Rustlick?
It seems to physically mix OK.
The Koolmist does seem quite a bit less viscous.

The chemistries are different, but if it works it works.

By the way, KoolMist is not a soluable oil.

You can use WS5050 in 20: dilution. Don't know that adding KoolMist
helps any.

Can Koolmist et al be used as a kind of soluble oil, in the flood mode vs
the mist mode, with passable results? It seems to me that if it is
functioning as a cutting coolant in mist-mode, it ought to function at least
as well in flood-mode.

I use KoolMist 77 as a flood coolant all the time. It works just dandy.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One data point for ya.

I got 10 gal. kool mist at an auction. So, I use it in my lathe mister, my
CNC machine pressure coolant sprayer (like a Hench Fog buster), in my hand
squirt bottles, and I've even used it on the bandsaw. Works good enough for
me.

I don't use it in the surface grinder. I use soluble oil there. This is what
I normally use on the bandsaw.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
One data point for ya.

I got 10 gal. kool mist at an auction. So, I use it in my lathe mister, my
CNC machine pressure coolant sprayer (like a Hench Fog buster), in my hand
squirt bottles, and I've even used it on the bandsaw. Works good enough
for me.

I don't use it in the surface grinder. I use soluble oil there. This is
what I normally use on the bandsaw.

Given the fairly different physical appearance/feel (even tho they do mix),
mebbe I should just empty the substantial gallons of rustlick in the
Kalamazoo, put that in the vmc, and use the dedicated koolmist in the saw.
Basically just keep apples with apples, etc., and save just as much $ (the
koolmist was a donation).
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Add a fine mesh filter on the end of the pickup tube and see if it
collects gunk. If so you might want to stop mixing. I'm using the Mobil
soluble oil and that stuff clumps up a little bit on its own, but I find
that a blast of compressed air across the pickup tube inlet will clean the
filter quickly.
Oh, and speaking of spray mist and soluble oils Wynns used to sell a
neat additive that kept the stuff from hanging in the air; now that Wynns is
gone I don't know where to get it anymore, but it's good stuff to add in
winter when the shop door is shut.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Andy Philbrick?

Oils To Use On Cutting Boards? Which? [email protected] Woodworking 19 September 8th 05 03:06 AM
Nut Oils robo hippy Woodturning 19 July 25th 05 10:56 AM
Which 'Tung Oils' are real? B a r r y Woodworking 5 July 2nd 04 07:34 PM
oils for chopping boards Grainger Morris Woodworking 16 December 14th 03 02:36 PM
Spindle oils Ed Huntress Metalworking 8 December 7th 03 05:55 AM