Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soluble coolant and freezing temp

I am worried about coolant freezing in my cold saw, accidentally.

This is northern Illinois, so temperatures of 0 to -5F are not
uncommon. How can I make soluble oil (20 or 30:1 ratio) a little bit
more freeze proof. Is there something that I can add to it, like
ethylene glycol, without the risk of ruining the pump, seals,
bearings, or anything else. My garage is attached, so it rarely gets
below freezing, but when that happens, I do not want to be caught.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Put a fish tank heater in the tank.
gary

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-30, Gary Owens wrote:
Put a fish tank heater in the tank.

and what about the liquid stuck in the pump itself?

It freezes, expands and cracks the pump housing.

Obviously you have to install a permanent heater in the shop to keep
things at a reasonable temp so you can work on projects all winter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-30, Gary Owens wrote:
Put a fish tank heater in the tank.

and what about the liquid stuck in the pump itself?

It freezes, expands and cracks the pump housing.

Obviously you have to install a permanent heater in the shop to keep
things at a reasonable temp so you can work on projects all winter.

I was hoping to find some anti-freezing agent, like ethylene glycol,
that would be oil and seal friendly.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-30, Gary Owens wrote:
Put a fish tank heater in the tank.
and what about the liquid stuck in the pump itself?

It freezes, expands and cracks the pump housing.

Obviously you have to install a permanent heater in the shop to keep
things at a reasonable temp so you can work on projects all winter.

I was hoping to find some anti-freezing agent, like ethylene glycol,
that would be oil and seal friendly.

Do you even know if you have a problem yet?

Iggy, pull a sample of your coolant and pop it in the freezer. There's
a decent chance that the soluble oil will drop the freezing point enough
for you.

No point in solving a non-existent problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13690 wrote:

I am worried about coolant freezing in my cold saw, accidentally.

I thought your shop was attached to the house. Have you monitored how cold it gets in
there? Is there a place in the base where you can stick a small light bulb for heat?

I don't remember what your saw looks like so my last comment may be useless.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is northern Illinois, so temperatures of 0 to -5F are not
uncommon. How can I make soluble oil (20 or 30:1 ratio) a little bit
more freeze proof. Is there something that I can add to it, like
ethylene glycol, without the risk of ruining the pump, seals,
bearings, or anything else. My garage is attached, so it rarely gets
below freezing, but when that happens, I do not want to be caught.

At my old place, the shop got down to -30 inside. I had 50:50 ethelyne
glycol:water coolant. Never had a problem with broken pumps, seals, etc. I
did have a problem with working in those conditions VBG

I bet 10% would be plenty for you. FWIW, I was just saving drainage from car
radiators. Let it settle, skim off the clean stuff and add oil.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-30, Gary Owens wrote:
Put a fish tank heater in the tank.
and what about the liquid stuck in the pump itself?
It freezes, expands and cracks the pump housing.

Obviously you have to install a permanent heater in the shop to keep
things at a reasonable temp so you can work on projects all winter.

I was hoping to find some anti-freezing agent, like ethylene glycol,
that would be oil and seal friendly.

Do you even know if you have a problem yet?

Iggy, pull a sample of your coolant and pop it in the freezer. There's
a decent chance that the soluble oil will drop the freezing point enough
for you.

No point in solving a non-existent problem.

Seems like a great idea. I will definitely try.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-01, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus13690 wrote:

I am worried about coolant freezing in my cold saw, accidentally.

I thought your shop was attached to the house. Have you monitored how cold it gets in
there? Is there a place in the base where you can stick a small light bulb for heat?

I don't remember what your saw looks like so my last comment may be useless.

The garage is attached and it very rarely goes below the freezing
point. Maybe twice a year. Maybe, once would be when it is very cold
outside, and another time would be when I leave the garage open for
long, possibly accidentally. But even once is enough to ruin the cold
saw's pump.

I am not too worried about water freezing in the sump. But I am
worried about it freezing in the pump. Maybe I should do something to
dry the pump after every use.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-01, Karl Townsend wrote:

This is northern Illinois, so temperatures of 0 to -5F are not
uncommon. How can I make soluble oil (20 or 30:1 ratio) a little bit
more freeze proof. Is there something that I can add to it, like
ethylene glycol, without the risk of ruining the pump, seals,
bearings, or anything else. My garage is attached, so it rarely gets
below freezing, but when that happens, I do not want to be caught.

At my old place, the shop got down to -30 inside. I had 50:50 ethelyne
glycol:water coolant. Never had a problem with broken pumps, seals, etc. I
did have a problem with working in those conditions VBG

I bet 10% would be plenty for you. FWIW, I was just saving drainage from car
radiators. Let it settle, skim off the clean stuff and add oil.

Ethylene glycol is cheap, propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) is also
cheap. I have both home. I think that I will try to make a soluble
solution with 30:1 oil and RV antifreeze instead of water. I will let
it stand for a couple of days. Might even help with bacterias. I use
that pink RV antifreeze in my TIG cooler.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Seal and properly insulate the garage, Ig. The warmer temps in the garage
will reduce heat loss from your living space.

If you feel that you don't have, or can't find the the time to do the job,
consider the wasted time posting crap in RCM concerning various delegates
and world events.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ignoramus13690" wrote in message
I am worried about coolant freezing in my cold saw, accidentally.

This is northern Illinois, so temperatures of 0 to -5F are not
uncommon. How can I make soluble oil (20 or 30:1 ratio) a little bit
more freeze proof. Is there something that I can add to it, like
ethylene glycol, without the risk of ruining the pump, seals,
bearings, or anything else. My garage is attached, so it rarely gets
below freezing, but when that happens, I do not want to be caught.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-01, Wild_Bill wrote:
Seal and properly insulate the garage, Ig. The warmer temps in the garage
will reduce heat loss from your living space.

If you feel that you don't have, or can't find the the time to do the job,
consider the wasted time posting crap in RCM concerning various delegates
and world events.

It is already well sealed. Double walls with insulation between.

But if it only takes my wife or kid forgetting to close the garage
door, to ruin my cold saw, then I do not feel adequately protected.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-01, Stuart Wheaton wrote:

[ ... ]

Iggy, pull a sample of your coolant and pop it in the freezer. There's
a decent chance that the soluble oil will drop the freezing point enough
for you.

No point in solving a non-existent problem.

Seems like a great idea. I will definitely try.

Two bits of advice.

1) Don't put it directly in a rigid container -- even a soft
plastic bottle, because of the chance of it freezing, breaking
and possibly contaminating the food in the freezer.

So -- put it in a Ziploc baggie -- only about 1/4 full to give
plenty of room for expansion.

2) Because some anti-freezes taste sweet, and have colors
attractive to small kids (and maybe your coolant will as
well) -- put the baggie in a child-proof cap container, which
could be loose in a large pill bottle.

After all -- you have little kids to worry about.

For that matter -- label it so if your wife pulls it out, she
will know what it is.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Get a door closer for a man-door, and/or an open sensor, and a repeating
voice recording playing throughout the house;

Please close the bay door, Hal

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-01, Wild_Bill wrote:
Seal and properly insulate the garage, Ig. The warmer temps in the garage
will reduce heat loss from your living space.

If you feel that you don't have, or can't find the the time to do the job,
consider the wasted time posting crap in RCM concerning various delegates
and world events.

It is already well sealed. Double walls with insulation between.

But if it only takes my wife or kid forgetting to close the garage
door, to ruin my cold saw, then I do not feel adequately protected.

It sounds like the entire family is kind of stupid.