Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13690 Ignoramus13690 is offline

Default Soluble coolant and freezing temp

On 2008-12-01, Karl Townsend wrote:

This is northern Illinois, so temperatures of 0 to -5F are not
uncommon. How can I make soluble oil (20 or 30:1 ratio) a little bit
more freeze proof. Is there something that I can add to it, like
ethylene glycol, without the risk of ruining the pump, seals,
bearings, or anything else. My garage is attached, so it rarely gets
below freezing, but when that happens, I do not want to be caught.

At my old place, the shop got down to -30 inside. I had 50:50 ethelyne
glycol:water coolant. Never had a problem with broken pumps, seals, etc. I
did have a problem with working in those conditions VBG

I bet 10% would be plenty for you. FWIW, I was just saving drainage from car
radiators. Let it settle, skim off the clean stuff and add oil.

Ethylene glycol is cheap, propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) is also
cheap. I have both home. I think that I will try to make a soluble
solution with 30:1 oil and RV antifreeze instead of water. I will let
it stand for a couple of days. Might even help with bacterias. I use
that pink RV antifreeze in my TIG cooler.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/