Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is the best way to polish small brass parts mechanically?

What is the best way to polish small brass parts mechanically?

I don't need a mirror finish but would like to get as close as
practically possible. These are mostly parts of old clock movements,
just heavy tarnish (no paint or heavy corrosion), but too many parts &
too intricate to do by hand.

What method and media would be the gentlest on the parts?

I would prefer to tumble if possible as I think vibratory is too loud,
but it is not out of the question.

I have no experience using either type.

Thanks
MikeB
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:09:32 -0200, BQ340 wrote:

What is the best way to polish small brass parts mechanically?

I don't need a mirror finish but would like to get as close as
practically possible. These are mostly parts of old clock movements,
just heavy tarnish (no paint or heavy corrosion), but too many parts &
too intricate to do by hand.

What method and media would be the gentlest on the parts?

I would prefer to tumble if possible as I think vibratory is too loud,
but it is not out of the question.

I have no experience using either type.

Thanks
MikeB

A tumbler with walnut shells or similar.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752164

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Boris Kapusta" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:09:32 -0200, BQ340 wrote:

What is the best way to polish small brass parts mechanically?

I don't need a mirror finish but would like to get as close as
practically possible. These are mostly parts of old clock movements,
just heavy tarnish (no paint or heavy corrosion), but too many parts &
too intricate to do by hand.

What method and media would be the gentlest on the parts?

I would prefer to tumble if possible as I think vibratory is too loud,
but it is not out of the question.

I have no experience using either type.

Thanks
MikeB

A tumbler with walnut shells or similar.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752164

No no no!
Not for clock gears!

Every bearing and mating surface, every gear tooth, every pinion - ruined
beyong repair.

No choice but hand polishing.
A "Dremel"-type handpiece with a tiny polishing mop will do the job if
you're very careful to avoid the "works" (which, BTW, you should just leave
alone).

All the above assumes you want the cleaned-up clock to actually work.

If not, just dump the lot in thiourea to soften it up, then a vibratory or
ultrasonic cleaner.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No choice but hand polishing.
A "Dremel"-type handpiece with a tiny polishing mop will do the job if
you're very careful to avoid the "works" (which, BTW, you should just leave
alone).

All the above assumes you want the cleaned-up clock to actually work.

If not, just dump the lot in thiourea to soften it up, then a vibratory or
ultrasonic cleaner.

--
Jeff R.

Thanks, I was hoping there was a way to do this. They all need much work
to get running & would look alot better shiny as well.

MikeB
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:09:32 -0200, BQ340 wrote:

What is the best way to polish small brass parts mechanically?

I don't need a mirror finish but would like to get as close as
practically possible. These are mostly parts of old clock movements,
just heavy tarnish (no paint or heavy corrosion), but too many parts &
too intricate to do by hand.

What method and media would be the gentlest on the parts?

I would prefer to tumble if possible as I think vibratory is too loud,
but it is not out of the question.

I have no experience using either type.

Thanks
MikeB

http://tinyurl.com/6k3lf9e

Use with
http://tinyurl.com/5wykjlm

I use this system for used rifle and handgun brass. It produces a
mirror finish in a couple of hours. Heavy tarnish might take a bit
longer, or maybe a pre-soak in Brasso.