Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extemporaneous hand sanitizer.

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Wont that turn it into Boddingtons.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

I've been recommended 30-40% aloe vera gel. Apparently it leaves
little residue and is not too sticky, but does make the alcohol solution
more viscous and reduce its vapour pressure.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it
into small plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Better to drink it well chilled.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 March 2020 00:44:48 UTC, Marland wrote:
Wont that turn it into Boddingtons.

No, Baileys.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Couldn't find any in the shops.

I thought I had one in the back of the car, but it was a non-alcohol
version.

The shelves in Morrisons were "empty". I'm quite a tall chap so I
noticed a cardboard box hiding right at the back of the top shelf, turns
out there were a couple of bottles lurking in there.

After peeling the "Little miss tickle" sticker off the containers, you'd
never know, apart from it being bright yellow!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 00:18:56 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

A quick google for ingredients shows glycerin might also work instead of hand
cream. ISTR that maximum effect is not at the highest concentration of IPA.

Hand cream is ingenious, though!

Couldn't find what they use for a thickener in gel formulations...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 12:46:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it
into small plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Better to drink it well chilled.

Idiot!

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/20 07:38, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 00:18:56 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

A quick google for ingredients shows glycerin might also work instead of hand
cream. ISTR that maximum effect is not at the highest concentration of IPA.

See last bullet point he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_sanitizer#Composition

Hand cream is ingenious, though!

Couldn't find what they use for a thickener in gel formulations...

For high-alcohol formulations fumed silica can be used as the gelling agent.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

I've been recommended 30-40% aloe vera gel. Apparently it leaves
little residue and is not too sticky, but does make the alcohol solution
more viscous and reduce its vapour pressure.

You could look on YouTube at the €˜recipe to make fuel for sterno camping
stoves.

Sterno stoves are common in the US. Sterno fuel is alcohol gel. People make
it as the refills are quite expensive. There are several recipes, the
simplest uses a powder used in poultry keeping etc and alcohol.

I was introduced to Sterno stoves many years ago on a fishing trip in the
US. Ive never seen them here or even an equivalent- although there are gel
stoves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:

Couldn't find what they use for a thickener in gel formulations...

Little miss tickle lists the ingredients in order as alcohol, water,
glycerin, polyacrylic acid ... everything lower down the list seems to
be perfumes and dyes, or additives to prevent UV killing the perfumes
and dyes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/03/20 07:38, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 00:18:56 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

A quick google for ingredients shows glycerin might also work instead of hand
cream. ISTR that maximum effect is not at the highest concentration of IPA.

See last bullet point he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_sanitizer#Composition

Hand cream is ingenious, though!

Couldn't find what they use for a thickener in gel formulations...

For high-alcohol formulations fumed silica can be used as the gelling agent.

See my response to Roger- that is essentially how some of the Sterno
substitutes are made but with different gelling agents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2020 00:44, Marland wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Wont that turn it into Boddingtons.

GH

No John Smiths.
You really need Fullers ESB they used to run Concorde on that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it
into small plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Better to drink it well chilled.

James Bond: Tiffany Case? Definitely distinctive.
Tiffany Case: I was born there, on the first floor, while my mother
was looking for a wedding ring.
James Bond: Well, I'm glad for your sake it wasn't Van Cleef & Arpels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Lots of recipes he https://tinyurl.com/weypjzh Basically, some sort
of gel, aloe vera is popular, with alcohol, one part gel to two parts
alcohol. It's the alcohol that kills the virus - the gel just stops
your skin drying up, but the mix needs to contain at least 60%
alcohol, so I doubt that IPA would do. Any alcohol seems to be OK.
Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) is popular, but ethanol seems OK as
vodka is also suggested (but the proportions may need adjusting to
account for its water content, say one gel to three vodka), and I have
a bottle of meths somewhere in the garage.

Even neat vodka doesn't have enough alcohol in it.

But HuffPost advises against diy sanitiser, preferring thorough
handwashing instead https://tinyurl.com/t3wy46j

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 08:33:09 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay wrote:

I was introduced to Sterno stoves many years ago on a fishing trip in
the US. I ve never seen them here or even an equivalent- although
there are gel stoves.

Ethanol fuel tins for chafing dishes?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

Even neat vodka doesn't have enough alcohol in it.

Something I read said it needs to be 80%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2020 00:18, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Snap! I was going to say I'd done the same thing, but I ordered 5 litres
because it's useful stuff to have around (unless there's a fire!).

Does anyone know whether emollients such as Diprobase make good carriers
for the alcohol?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

As a matter of interest what is the exact point of any of
this ?

From the Huff Post link there is the much reproduced quote

"The best way to protect yourself from infections like coronavirus is to
regularly wash your hands with soap and water," said Dr Nick Phin,
deputy director at the National Infection Service, PHE, adding that
"proper hand washing is the most effective method and this should
be your first choice".

The suggestion appears to be that the easiest way to pick up this virus
is by touching hard surfaces which (I assume) have been sneezed on or
coughed on by carriers. And then touching your face, more specifically
mouth eyes ofr nostrils. But it must be assumed that for most people
this touching will take place away from home maybe on a bus or train
where there are no hand washing facilities. So the above observation
is pointless

In these circumstances hand washing gel would seem to be the answer
as they are when carried in the car or bike toolkit for cleaning dirty
hands. However unless a person wears gloves, which seems infinitely
preferable to this palaver it would seem to mean that they would either
be having to cleaning their hands constantly with gel or never touching
their face which is an instictive reaction which it would be difficult
to break IMO.

And exactly the same would apply in the home if the idea is to
prevent cross infection by family members. Basically if anyone
touches a hard surface which has possibly been contaminated by a
family member then they will need to wash their hands before
touching their face.

IOW why not simply wear gloves all the time outside (if its ever
thought necessary) , take them off to touch your face, and leave
them on the hall table.

This whole thing has got to be a wind-up, right ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote:

snip

IOW why not simply wear gloves all the time outside (if its ever
thought necessary) , take them off to touch your face, and leave
them on the hall table.

This whole thing has got to be a wind-up, right ?

michael adams

For most people touching their face is not a conscious, deliberate act
that can be prepared for by removing gloves.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/03/2020 00:18, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Snap! I was going to say I'd done the same thing, but I ordered 5 litres
because it's useful stuff to have around (unless there's a fire!).

Does anyone know whether emollients such as Diprobase make good carriers
for the alcohol?

A cream *might* work if the alcohol doesn't disrupt the function of the
emulsifiers, but alcohol won't mix with a hydrocarbon-based ointment.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2020 11:14, Roger Hayter wrote:
"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote:

snip

IOW why not simply wear gloves all the time outside (if its ever
thought necessary) , take them off to touch your face, and leave
them on the hall table.

This whole thing has got to be a wind-up, right ?

michael adams

For most people touching their face is not a conscious, deliberate act
that can be prepared for by removing gloves.

give me a wave when you get to the bridge...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/03/2020 00:18, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Snap! I was going to say I'd done the same thing, but I ordered 5 litres
because it's useful stuff to have around (unless there's a fire!).

Does anyone know whether emollients such as Diprobase make good carriers
for the alcohol?

A cream *might* work if the alcohol doesn't disrupt the function of the
emulsifiers, but alcohol won't mix with a hydrocarbon-based ointment.

I'm not a chemist (unless A level chem 40+ years ago counts) but would
be interested to know why alcohol won't mix with a hydrocarbon-based
ointment. Alcohol is a hydrocarbon and ethanol is added to petrol.
What's different about hydrocarbon-based ointments?

FWIW, according to medicines.org the ingredients (excipients is
apparently the correct word) of Diprobase a Chlorocresol, Macrogol
Cetostearyl Ether, Cetostearyl alcohol, Liquid paraffin, White soft
paraffin, Phosphoric acid, Sodium dihydrogen phosphate, Sodium
hydroxide, and Purified water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/03/2020 00:18, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Snap! I was going to say I'd done the same thing, but I ordered 5 litres
because it's useful stuff to have around (unless there's a fire!).

Does anyone know whether emollients such as Diprobase make good carriers
for the alcohol?

A cream *might* work if the alcohol doesn't disrupt the function of the
emulsifiers, but alcohol won't mix with a hydrocarbon-based ointment.

I'm not a chemist (unless A level chem 40+ years ago counts) but would
be interested to know why alcohol won't mix with a hydrocarbon-based
ointment. Alcohol is a hydrocarbon

Let me stop you there. Alcohol is an aliphatic alcohol (surprise) and
quite hydrophilic. *Not* a hydrocarbon.

and ethanol is added to petrol.

Don't know how that works. Maybe petrol has polar components. I doubt
you can get much alcohol to mix.

What's different about hydrocarbon-based ointments?

They are solid, plus some detergents and possibly emulsifiers but I'm
not sure.

FWIW, according to medicines.org the ingredients (excipients is
apparently the correct word) of Diprobase a Chlorocresol, Macrogol
Cetostearyl Ether, Cetostearyl alcohol, Liquid paraffin, White soft
paraffin, Phosphoric acid, Sodium dihydrogen phosphate, Sodium
hydroxide, and Purified water.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Aha! I had to check the definition of "aliphatic" but it brought back
distant memories of straight chains as about to closed rings.

and ethanol is added to petrol.

Don't know how that works. Maybe petrol has polar components. I doubt
you can get much alcohol to mix.

What's different about hydrocarbon-based ointments?

They are solid, plus some detergents and possibly emulsifiers but I'm
not sure.

Thanks. I'm (slightly) wiser, and my memory pixies have been stirred ;-)

FWIW, according to medicines.org the ingredients (excipients is
apparently the correct word) of Diprobase a Chlorocresol, Macrogol
Cetostearyl Ether, Cetostearyl alcohol, Liquid paraffin, White soft
paraffin, Phosphoric acid, Sodium dihydrogen phosphate, Sodium
hydroxide, and Purified water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 08:35:04 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay wrote:

See my response to Roger- that is essentially how some of the Sterno
substitutes are made but with different gelling agents.

Calcium acetate ISTR, a bit in water added to the meths.

If sodium acetate would also work: that's the stuff in those reusable hand
warmers.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 10:38:02 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

This is uk.d-i-y. Surely you should be building a still ?

Best suggestion so far.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote:

snip

IOW why not simply wear gloves all the time outside (if its ever
thought necessary) , take them off to touch your face, and leave
them on the hall table.

This whole thing has got to be a wind-up, right ?

michael adams

For most people touching their face is not a conscious, deliberate act
that can be prepared for by removing gloves.

So they wash/clean their hands how often ?

Every time they touch something ?

Otherwise what's the point ?

Or is the claim that frequent washing of the hands somehow
builds up immunity for future touches ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2020 07:38, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 00:18:56 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

A quick google for ingredients shows glycerin might also work instead of hand
cream. ISTR that maximum effect is not at the highest concentration of IPA.

Hand cream is ingenious, though!

Couldn't find what they use for a thickener in gel formulations...

I've made creditable Swarfega out of washing up liquid and parafin.

Also washing up liquid and white spirit.
You could try washing up liquid and surgical spirit.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 March 2020 13:25:28 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:

Don't know how that works. Maybe petrol has polar components. I doubt
you can get much alcohol to mix.

Petrol around the world varies from zero through, 5, and 10 to 85% ethanol.

E10 (10% ethanol) is shortly going to be introduced in the UK. I believe that Tesco super unleaded (the higher octane version) already has a significant percentage of ethanol though can't remember the percentage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Lots of recipes he https://tinyurl.com/weypjzh Basically, some sort
of gel, aloe vera is popular, with alcohol, one part gel to two parts
alcohol. It's the alcohol that kills the virus - the gel just stops
your skin drying up, but the mix needs to contain at least 60%
alcohol, so I doubt that IPA would do. Any alcohol seems to be OK.
Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) is popular, but ethanol seems OK as
vodka is also suggested (but the proportions may need adjusting to
account for its water content, say one gel to three vodka), and I have
a bottle of meths somewhere in the garage.

Even neat vodka doesn't have enough alcohol in it.

Pisco was on sale in pretty potent strengths last time I was
in Chile (about 30 years ago).

But HuffPost advises against diy sanitiser, preferring thorough
handwashing instead https://tinyurl.com/t3wy46j

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This is uk.d-i-y. Surely you should be building a still ?

Best suggestion so far.

Thomas Prufer

I still have 3 x 20 mtres of 10mm plastic coated
copper tubing, made by a company called Mueller.

B&Q accidentally reduced it to £10 during a sale
about 10 years ago :-).

One day I will find a use for it .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This is uk.d-i-y. Surely you should be building a still ?

Best suggestion so far.

Thomas Prufer

I still have 3 x 20 mtres of 10mm plastic coated
copper tubing, made by a company called Mueller.

B&Q accidentally reduced it to £10 during a sale
about 10 years ago :-).

One day I will find a use for it .

Oil tank installation?

--
Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the
gospel of envy.

Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Winston Churchill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/20 09:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

Even neat vodka doesn't have enough alcohol in it.

Something I read said it needs to be 80%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh

If you want to impress someone with rum baba, this is the rum to use!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm going to just use fairy liquid. IPA dries skin out, not what you really
want to do, the skin will crack.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graham." wrote in message

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 March 2020 00:18:59 UTC, Graham. wrote:
I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

How about petrol/white spirit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote in message
o.uk...

news
wrote:

[...]

From the Huff Post link there is the much reproduced quote

[...]

Wrong, as always.

CT woman arrested for DUI - drunk half a bottle of hand sanitizer Al Kayhall Home Repair 6 October 19th 12 02:01 AM
Dish Sanitizer Mark S Home Repair 6 March 7th 07 09:49 PM
Air Health UV Home Air Sanitizer Amy Johnson Home Repair 38 March 31st 05 09:02 PM
Keep Several Hand Drills on Hand MilkyWhy Home Repair 5 December 24th 04 01:59 AM
Hand Tool Behavior - The Psychology of Hand Tools charlie b Woodworking 5 August 1st 04 02:14 AM