Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd Dyson fault

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Pamela
wrote:

On 18:50 24 Dec 2019, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Pamela
wrote:
Shame to see mobile phones designed to be almost as disposable as Bic
Biros.

Personally I think Biros are more useful.

Holding out against mobile phones is getting rare. I was a late adopter
but eventually sold my privacy in exchange for utility, in the usual
Faustian pact with Google.
Oldies have been rapidly catching up with youngsters:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/3...-the-uk-by-age

I struggle to find things to do with my iPhone.

Then you actually are that stupid.

I removed mail and
twitter from it, and while I use WhatsApp, I just just as well not.

The clamshell I used before was perfectly adequate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Shame to see mobile phones designed to be almost as disposable as Bic
Biros.

Personally I think Biros are more useful.

Holding out against mobile phones is getting rare. I was a late adopter
but eventually sold my privacy in exchange for utility, in the usual
Faustian pact with Google.

Oldies have been rapidly catching up with youngsters:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/3...-the-uk-by-age

I struggle to find things to do with my iPhone. I removed mail and
twitter from it, and while I use WhatsApp, I just just as well not.

The clamshell I used before was perfectly adequate.

I've mved nack to a 'feature phone' after having a series of Android
smartphones, I find it *much* handier in many ways:-

It runs for several days on one charge

It has real buttons to press, in particular for answering a call

It's very robust, no big screen to break (and I did break the
glass on one of my Moto phones)

It's not worth much and not attractive so is unlikely to be stolen

.... and it *does* have 4G and WiFi calling.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Shame to see mobile phones designed to be almost as disposable as Bic
Biros.

Personally I think Biros are more useful.

Holding out against mobile phones is getting rare. I was a late adopter
but eventually sold my privacy in exchange for utility, in the usual
Faustian pact with Google.

Oldies have been rapidly catching up with youngsters:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/3...-the-uk-by-age

I struggle to find things to do with my iPhone. I removed mail and
twitter from it, and while I use WhatsApp, I just just as well not.

The clamshell I used before was perfectly adequate.

I've mved nack to a 'feature phone' after having a series of Android
smartphones, I find it *much* handier in many ways:-

It runs for several days on one charge

So do plenty of iphones when used like you use that phone.

It has real buttons to press, in particular for answering a call

Even easier to answer an incoming call with a voice command.

It's very robust, no big screen to break (and I did
break the glass on one of my Moto phones)

Plenty of life proof cases.

It's not worth much and not attractive so is unlikely to be stolen

... and it *does* have 4G and WiFi calling.

But useless when you need to check on whether a particular
store has what you need in stock when out and about or to
check the hours they open, or whats open on xmas day etc.
Or check the road conditions during flooding, or navigate
to somewhere you arent familiar with etc etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Chris Green
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:
[...]

+1 to all this.

Meanwhile I think I shall have to turn off the fingerprint business on
the iPhone, it doesn't work half the time.

Then you need to get to get it fixed, mine works
perfectly every time unless I have wet fingers
and leaves entering secure passcodes for dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:25, Tim+ wrote:
We have a handheld rechargeable Dyson that mostly works very well.
Recently it has started to seem like its battery is dying.

Yes. By coincidence I have exactly the same symptoms here - although it
is not air filter related (see other posts) yours might be.

I was about to buy a replacement battery since it is getting on a bit
but I did a few experiments first and got surprising results.

It lives on its charger under the stairs all the time but its started to
die after just 10-15 seconds of use and displays a flashing blue low
battery indicator. The thing is, if I put it back on charge for just 5
seconds it comes back to life and I can get many minutes of use out off it
before the battery really runs low.

Anyone else come across this?

I have access to multiple chargers. Mine outputs 26.00v under load and
the battery refuses to charge with more than a token 15s worth of use.

The other unit outputs 26.20v and the thing works perfectly on that!
This is incredibly unexpected behaviour.

I can also test them on different raw mains and the Dyson supply is a
carefully regulated 26.xx v with input voltage from 230vac to 245vac.
(which happen to be the local mains at two different locations)

Can you measure the output voltage of your charger accurately?

Or try your unit with another charger with the same rating...

I intend to recharge mine from a bench PSU set to the right voltage to
establish that the thing really is so sensitive to voltage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 20:09:56 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

Shame to see mobile phones designed to be almost as disposable as Bic
Biros.

Personally I think Biros are more useful.

Holding out against mobile phones is getting rare. I was a late adopter
but eventually sold my privacy in exchange for utility, in the usual
Faustian pact with Google.

Oldies have been rapidly catching up with youngsters:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/3...-the-uk-by-age

I struggle to find things to do with my iPhone. I removed mail and
twitter from it, and while I use WhatsApp, I just just as well not.

I used to think that until I moved to a smartphone (I needed it as a
PDA). I now find it is more powerful and more efficient than my iPad,
that 4G is on the whole excellent and I can check news, surf net, read
emails and much more. In fact it is faster than my PC for reading
emails. I would never go back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
I wouldn't leave a lithium ion battery on charge the whole time because a
full charge stresses the battery and shortens its life, although that
doesn't really account for your symptoms.

My friend refuses to accept this and insists her laptop is plugged on
all the time, even when using it. Maybe laptops are more
sophisticated.

She did the same with the cordless vacuum cleaner and the battery
failed in quite a short period.

Think it's going to depend on how good the 'charger' is.

Had an Acer laptop which fried the battery even with modest use. So ran it
without the replacement - and only fitted it when needed.

Current HP is a few years old but battery still fine. And it's left on
most of the day.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 18:59, mm0fmf wrote:
On 23/12/2019 17:55, newshound wrote:
Maybe laptops are more
sophisticated.

They are. Massively more sophisticated.

Nevertheless my home laptop's battery is dead after only about 4 years,
and we've had a couple of batteries swell up and die at work.

Andy

Odd RCA 32" fault. Dani Electronics Repair 2 March 8th 07 11:43 PM
Looking for source of spare parts for Dyson appliances (other than Dyson!) [email protected] UK diy 7 April 5th 06 02:43 AM
Odd d-i-y PC fault T i m UK diy 11 August 31st 05 11:06 PM
Odd question, in fact very odd Ken Vale Metalworking 4 July 29th 05 10:27 AM
Dyson washer fault code impvan UK diy 1 October 7th 03 12:01 AM