Ken Vale

Default Odd question, in fact very odd

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?
Ken
jim rozen

In article , Ken Vale says...

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?

Heat treated in what fashion, the way the harder phase in
carbon/iron alloy is quench frozen in?

No, because Iron sulfide doesn't have the same phase diagram
features that the iron/carbon alloy does.

Jim

please reply to:
Martin H. Eastburn

Ken Vale wrote:

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?
Ken

Iron Pyrite - IIRC, explodes when heated. That is what I seem to recall
from a camping trip with some of it in rocks of the campfire.

Stinks also

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Tim Williams

"Ken Vale" wrote in message
Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?

Sure, you can heat treat anything...point is, what the heck is your goal.

Pyrite is typically _roasted_ (in air) to produce sulfur oxides, which are
dissolved in water to make sulfuric acid. It is not a suitable iron ore
because too much sulfur remains in the metal.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Ken Vale

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Ken Vale says...

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?

Heat treated in what fashion, the way the harder phase in
carbon/iron alloy is quench frozen in?

No, because Iron sulfide doesn't have the same phase diagram
features that the iron/carbon alloy does.

Jim

I wondered about the possibility of making a knife from it. I realize
that you can make an art knife that has a gold color to it, I just
prefer my knives/tools to be functional.
Ken

Condensing/combi boiler vs. pipework question Dave Phillips UK diy 2 April 20th 04 10:02 AM
Replacement mortar question Paul Home Repair 8 December 2nd 03 01:18 PM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM