Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart meters again -Eon

"Max Demian" wrote in message
news
On 29/11/2019 08:44, alan_m wrote:
On 27/11/2019 20:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) expressed precisely :

The very knowledgeable folk at EDF told me that the latest meters now
are able to be used by all energy companies, but the older ones were
not. Not only that but apparently they are easy to hack into as well,
no doubt designed a long time ago, so I guess whatever happens all
those early smart meters are going to end up on the scrap heap in
favour off the new improved all singing ones, till the next problems
surface.. Cynic, me?

All the old style Smart Meters will be fitted in order to meet the meter
replacement targets! Waiting this long to get a Smart Meter is no
guarantee that one of the new style will be fitted!

Soon it will be time for all those meters with batteries to start failing
to be smart!

I've heard that smart gas meters turn the gas off when the battery runs
down.

I think you are wrong

the basic rule of gas supplies is that it should NOT be turned on/off when a
resident is not in occupation, as turning it on in an uncontrolled way could
kill people.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 18:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had SM's now for several years, working off and on, as I changed
supplier and they have stopped being Smart, needing to be swapped out so
they will be Smart again.

I moved to Eon 12 months ago, the meters stopped bing smart and was told
they would be swapped in May, that was later put back to July, now
November and it still hasn't happened.

I have just rug Eon on another matter and took the opportunity to ask
when the SM's might be upgraded to become smart again. The latest
information now, is that it will not be done for another 18 months.
Likely by then, I will have moved suppliers again..

Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

unfortunately:

yes

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 08:47, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know where they ended up on that. There were clear arguments
for closing the valve (else scrotes would get free gas by removing
batteries). And for the valve staying open (else vulnerable consumers
bringing ordure on suppliers - eg by dying of hypothermia). At one
stage it was going to be configurable by the supplier.

the basic rule of gas supplies is that it should NOT be turned on/off
when a resident is not in occupation, as turning it on in an
uncontrolled way could kill people.

I think the policy with batteries takes that into account as the person
sent out to replace the battery would be trained to restore the supply
safely.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo formulated on Friday :
Only SMETS1, but for instance:
https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/glow-stick

Thanks, I will look into that..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew brought next idea :
Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

Maybe you don't have enough to make it worth your while, I certainly
do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 11:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew brought next idea :
Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

Maybe you don't have enough to make it worth your while, I certainly do.

Then you are doubly a fool for not investing it sowmeher that makes a
lot more than bank or building societies.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 11:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew brought next idea :
Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

Maybe you don't have enough to make it worth your while, I certainly do.

Then you are doubly a fool for not investing it sowmeher that makes a lot
more than bank or building societies.

and what low risk liquid item would you suggest

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 08:47, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

I refer learned council to Which? (October or November this year;
letters section). (The device is supposed to tell the suppliers when the
battery is running down.)

the basic rule of gas supplies is that it should NOT be turned on/off
when a resident is not in occupation, as turning it on in an
uncontrolled way could kill people.

I expect it won't be turned on "in an uncontrolled way"; only when a
'man' comes to replace the battery.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 30/11/2019 08:47, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

Yours was my initial reaction too but on further thought likely
the problem is that with the gas turned off, some would try to
light the gas stove, find it wont light, leave the control on the
stove turned on and then when the gas supply comes back
once the bill has been paid etc, end up with gas in the house
which can be lit with a cigarette being lit etc.

the basic rule of gas supplies is that it should NOT be turned on/off
when a resident is not in occupation, as turning it on in an uncontrolled
way could kill people.

I think the policy with batteries takes that into account as the person
sent out to replace the battery would be trained to restore the supply
safely.

Sure but that wouldn't happen if its turned on remotely
again when the outstanding bill has been paid etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 06:43:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yours was my initial reaction too but on further thought likely
the problem is that with the gas turned off, some would try to
light the gas stove, find it wont light, leave the control on the
stove turned on and then when the gas supply comes back
once the bill has been paid etc, end up with gas in the house
which can be lit with a cigarette being lit etc.

Someone provided that answer already three hours earlier, you obnoxious,
senile pest! Just what in hell makes you believe YOU always have to repeat
other people's answers, you self-opinionated, self-important, senile idiot?

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Is it smart to get smart meters yet (/ever)? T i m UK diy 17 October 21st 18 12:51 PM
Smart meters yet again - EON David UK diy 162 June 16th 18 10:25 AM
Smart meters not smart enough Brian Gaff UK diy 16 May 25th 17 08:22 AM
Smart meters (again) F[_2_] UK diy 29 January 15th 17 01:04 AM
Eon trying it e-on again Calvin Sambrook UK diy 2 February 15th 10 04:29 PM