DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Smart meters again -Eon (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/642304-smart-meters-again-eon.html)

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 27th 19 06:35 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

I have had SM's now for several years, working off and on, as I changed
supplier and they have stopped being Smart, needing to be swapped out
so they will be Smart again.

I moved to Eon 12 months ago, the meters stopped bing smart and was
told they would be swapped in May, that was later put back to July, now
November and it still hasn't happened.

I have just rug Eon on another matter and took the opportunity to ask
when the SM's might be upgraded to become smart again. The latest
information now, is that it will not be done for another 18 months.
Likely by then, I will have moved suppliers again..

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) November 27th 19 08:24 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

The very knowledgeable folk at EDF told me that the latest meters now are
able to be used by all energy companies, but the older ones were not. Not
only that but apparently they are easy to hack into as well, no doubt
designed a long time ago, so I guess whatever happens all those early smart
meters are going to end up on the scrap heap in favour off the new improved
all singing ones, till the next problems surface.. Cynic, me?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 27th 19 08:37 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) expressed precisely :
The very knowledgeable folk at EDF told me that the latest meters now are
able to be used by all energy companies, but the older ones were not. Not
only that but apparently they are easy to hack into as well, no doubt
designed a long time ago, so I guess whatever happens all those early smart
meters are going to end up on the scrap heap in favour off the new improved
all singing ones, till the next problems surface.. Cynic, me?

Eon and others have several times that they don't replace the meters,
they will just update the software. Whether they can do that in the
field or not, they didn't say, but I would not have thought so - it
would be easier for them to just run and exchange scheme.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 27th 19 09:10 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Eon and others have several times that they don't replace the meters,
they will just update the software.

My meters were fitted by eon, originally they were on the "will be
upgraded" list, but now it seems they're no longer on the list.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 27th 19 09:42 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Andy Burns formulated the question :
My meters were fitted by eon, originally they were on the "will be upgraded"
list, but now it seems they're no longer on the list.

I'm thinking that once the SM's are installed, working as SM's or not,
they have fulfilled the governments need to have them fitted.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) November 28th 19 08:06 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

The old meters cannot have their problems fixed as its part hardware and
part firmware according to EDF. I'm glad now I have waited till now. I think
mine is pencilled in for next Spring. I just hope the units are not
interference causing devices that is all. Should be simple as I only have
the electricity and will need the talking remote unit. I'd rather like a
system where I can control it with alexa though, but they said not yet.
Brian

--
----- --

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 28th 19 10:35 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote on 28/11/2019 :
I'd rather like a system where I can control it with alexa though, but they
said not yet.

I would rather like ones where I could optionally tap into their data
via my LAN.

Max Demian November 28th 19 11:11 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 28/11/2019 10:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote on 28/11/2019 :
*I'd rather like a system where I can control it with alexa though,
but they said not yet.

I would rather like ones where I could optionally tap into their data
via my LAN.

Won't that enable the energy company to have access to your network?

--
Max Demian

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 28th 19 11:25 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

Max Demian brought next idea :
Won't that enable the energy company to have access to your network?

No reason why it should..

Robin November 28th 19 02:20 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 28/11/2019 10:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote on 28/11/2019 :
*I'd rather like a system where I can control it with alexa though,
but they said not yet.

I would rather like ones where I could optionally tap into their data
via my LAN.

I'm not aware of any smart meter that provides for network consumer
access to data. I think there's too much worry the risk (or at least
the perception of risk) to think of wifi access. Even the Netherlands
only mandates a physical port (115200 baud ) - though of course that's
streets ahead of what we get here as it offers second by second data.

--
Robin

Max Demian November 28th 19 05:56 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 28/11/2019 11:25, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Max Demian brought next idea :
Won't that enable the energy company to have access to your network?

No reason why it should..

Would you give a random person your Wi-Fi password?

Would you know how to secure the hard drives of connected PCs?

--
Max Demian

Andrew[_22_] November 28th 19 07:03 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 27/11/2019 18:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had SM's now for several years, working off and on, as I changed
supplier and they have stopped being Smart, needing to be swapped out so
they will be Smart again.

I moved to Eon 12 months ago, the meters stopped bing smart and was told
they would be swapped in May, that was later put back to July, now
November and it still hasn't happened.

I have just rug Eon on another matter and took the opportunity to ask
when the SM's might be upgraded to become smart again. The latest
information now, is that it will not be done for another 18 months.
Likely by then, I will have moved suppliers again..

Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

Andrew[_22_] November 28th 19 07:05 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 27/11/2019 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns formulated the question :
My meters were fitted by eon, originally they were on the "will be
upgraded" list, but now it seems they're no longer on the list.

I'm thinking that once the SM's are installed, working as SM's or not,
they have fulfilled the governments need to have them fitted.

That's a good reason NOT to have a smart meter.

Adrian[_9_] November 28th 19 07:14 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote on 28/11/2019 :
I'd rather like a system where I can control it with alexa though,
but they said not yet.

I would rather like ones where I could optionally tap into their data
via my LAN.

If forced to have one, I'd be happy with one that I could read
automatically. Surely not beyond the wit of the engineers to allow it
transmit, and for the customer to be able to read the data stream. As
it is, I can see it being a case of sticking a webcam in front of the
display unit, and then carrying out some form of OCR on the image, I
suppose at least that way there is an air gap.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 28th 19 07:22 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Andrew wrote on 28/11/2019 :
That's a good reason NOT to have a smart meter.

Heads ought to roll for the money wasted, I agree.

Did they really not expect customers would wish to change suppliers?
They work fine, if you stay put, but the whole system falls apart as
soon as you move.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 28th 19 08:57 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Andrew brought next idea :
Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

When there is a worthwhile advantage to a move, yes!

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 28th 19 09:05 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. expressed precisely :
Andrew brought next idea :
Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

When there is a worthwhile advantage to a move, yes!

I also swap telecoms providers, insurance providers too, when it
worthwhile and usually its very worth my while.

Rod Speed November 28th 19 10:06 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 18:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had SM's now for several years, working off and on, as I changed
supplier and they have stopped being Smart, needing to be swapped out so
they will be Smart again.

I moved to Eon 12 months ago, the meters stopped bing smart and was told
they would be swapped in May, that was later put back to July, now
November and it still hasn't happened.

I have just rug Eon on another matter and took the opportunity to ask
when the SM's might be upgraded to become smart again. The latest
information now, is that it will not be done for another 18 months.
Likely by then, I will have moved suppliers again..

Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

I do to get the best interest rate paid on the very substantial
cash I have. Tho I havent changed for a few years now with
interest rates paid on deposits now so low.

Rod Speed November 28th 19 10:08 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns formulated the question :
My meters were fitted by eon, originally they were on the "will be
upgraded" list, but now it seems they're no longer on the list.

I'm thinking that once the SM's are installed, working as SM's or not,
they have fulfilled the governments need to have them fitted.

That's a good reason NOT to have a smart meter.

That's mad. If they have higher costs, you pay those higher costs.

Peeler[_4_] November 28th 19 10:39 PM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 09:08:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That's mad.

You calling someone ELSE "mad"???? YOUUUUU? Of all people? LOL

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Peeler[_4_] November 28th 19 10:40 PM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 09:06:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I do to get

NOBODY talked to you, senile Ozzie pest!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Theo[_3_] November 29th 19 08:05 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

Robin wrote:
I'm not aware of any smart meter that provides for network consumer
access to data. I think there's too much worry the risk (or at least
the perception of risk) to think of wifi access. Even the Netherlands
only mandates a physical port (115200 baud ) - though of course that's
streets ahead of what we get here as it offers second by second data.

They use ZigBee to the IHD, and it is possible to get Consumer Access
Devices (CAD) that tap into the data feed. The main issue currently is
certification - to interface with the smart meter kit, for security a device
needs to be certified by the network operator and enabled by the supplier.
Some are, for instance:

https://www.hildebrand.co.uk/our-products/
https://www.geotogether.com/products...marter-energy/

Theo

alan_m November 29th 19 08:44 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 27/11/2019 20:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) expressed precisely :
The very knowledgeable folk at EDF told me that the latest meters now
are able to be used by all* energy companies, but the older ones were
not. Not only that but apparently they are easy to hack into as well,
no doubt designed a long time ago, so I guess whatever happens all
those early smart meters are going to end up on the scrap heap in
favour off the new improved all singing ones, till the next problems
surface.. Cynic, me?

All the old style Smart Meters will be fitted in order to meet the meter
replacement targets! Waiting this long to get a Smart Meter is no
guarantee that one of the new style will be fitted!

Soon it will be time for all those meters with batteries to start
failing to be smart!

alan_m November 29th 19 08:47 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 28/11/2019 22:08, Rod Speed wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns formulated the question :
My meters were fitted by eon, originally they were on the "will be
upgraded" list, but now it seems they're no longer on the list.

I'm thinking that once the SM's are installed, working as SM's or
not, they have fulfilled the governments need to have them fitted.

That's a good reason NOT to have a smart meter.

That's mad. If they have higher costs, you pay those higher costs.

30 year old meters are still running. It takes a LOT of visits by a
meter reader every two years to equal the cost of a new smart meter and
the fitting thereof.

alan_m November 29th 19 08:50 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

The old meters cannot have their problems fixed as its part hardware and
part firmware according to EDF. I'm glad now I have waited till now. I think
mine is pencilled in for next Spring. I just hope the units are not
interference causing devices that is all. Should be simple as I only have
the electricity and will need the talking remote unit. I'd rather like a
system where I can control it with alexa though, but they said not yet.
Brian

What is there to control? For you a talking display unit would be
beneficial but I'll bet like most people it is totally ignored once the
novelty has worn off.

alan_m November 29th 19 09:02 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 28/11/2019 21:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. expressed precisely :
Andrew brought next idea :
Do you spend all your spare time moving accounts back and
forth between various banks and building societies too ?.

When there is a worthwhile advantage to a move, yes!

I also swap telecoms providers, insurance providers too, when it
worthwhile and usually its very worth my while.

+1
Often energy companies do not have the best tariffs two or three years
in a row so swapping on a regular basis can save paying a couple of
hundred quid too much.
Insurance companies are notorious for hiking up premiums for loyal
custom and again it is likely that you can save up to 30% of a renewal
quote amount by changing companies. Some insurance companies are now
guaranteeing no price increase in a second year BUT only if you have the
expensive policy, with many unnecessary extras, in the first place. The
guarantee usually doesn't apply to their baseline policies.

Rod Speed November 29th 19 09:08 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns formulated the question :
My meters were fitted by eon, originally they were on the "will be
upgraded" list, but now it seems they're no longer on the list.

I'm thinking that once the SM's are installed, working as SM's or not,
they have fulfilled the governments need to have them fitted.

That's a good reason NOT to have a smart meter.

That's mad. If they have higher costs, you pay those higher costs.

30 year old meters are still running. It takes a LOT of visits by a meter
reader every two years to equal the cost of a new smart meter and the
fitting thereof.

That's a separate issue to how much they get slugged
by the govt if they don't have enough smart meters fitted.

Stupid policy, sure, but it still affect what they have to charge you.

Peeler[_4_] November 29th 19 09:54 AM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 20:08:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That's a separate issue to how much they get slugged
by the govt if they don't have enough smart meters fitted.

Stupid policy, sure, but it still affect what they have to charge you.

That anal_m still doesn't get what he's up to, eh, you "all-knowing", senile
wisenheimer? LOL

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 29th 19 10:11 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

alan_m explained :
Insurance companies are notorious for hiking up premiums for loyal custom and
again it is likely that you can save up to 30% of a renewal quote amount by
changing companies.

I saved 80% on house insurance by shopping around. They (bank) had
hiked it year upon year.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 29th 19 10:14 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

on 29/11/2019, Theo supposed :
They use ZigBee to the IHD, and it is possible to get Consumer Access
Devices (CAD) that tap into the data feed.

Can you provide a URL to a CAD, assuming you mean something I can
access with a PC?

Andy Burns[_13_] November 29th 19 10:20 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

alan_m wrote:

All the old style Smart Meters will be fitted in order to meet the meter
replacement targets!* Waiting this long to get a Smart Meter is no
guarantee that one of the new style will be fitted!

ofgem say that now smets2 meters are available, any smets1 meters fitted
since (?march?) no longer count towards the target number of meters.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 29th 19 10:22 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

on 29/11/2019, alan_m supposed :
30 year old meters are still running. It takes a LOT of visits by a meter
reader every two years to equal the cost of a new smart meter and the fitting
thereof.

They have other advantages for the supplier, they are much less easy to
tamper with. Any attempt to interfer with them triggers alarms. More
regular remote reads, will soon show up consumption discrepancies.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. November 29th 19 01:17 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Andy Burns presented the following explanation :
(?march?)

March when? Or was that the reason for the ?march? ?

My present pair of smets1 meters were installed maybe 18 months ago, I
wonder where that leaves me.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 29th 19 02:30 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 09:02:14 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Often energy companies do not have the best tariffs two or three years
in a row so swapping on a regular basis can save paying a couple of
hundred quid too much.

I wish that was a couple of hundred quid each time, I'd have nice
little earner by now. B-) These days it's an increase limitation
excercise rather than money saving.

Insurance companies are notorious for hiking up premiums for loyal
custom and again it is likely that you can save up to 30% of a renewal
quote amount by changing companies.

Or asking the current insurer if they can do any better than the
renewal offer. They normally can for the exact same cover. Last
renewal knocked about 10% off the offer price. I hadn't shopped
around for other quotes and they asked that info. I suspect if I had
had quotes they'd have matched if not bettered them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 29th 19 02:59 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns presented the following explanation :
(?march?)

March when?

I thought it was March 2019, but see below

I see changes to the gas/electricity supply licences saying

"In order to protect customers and drive the uptake and roll-out
of SMETS2 meters the Government mandated an end date after which
the installation of SMETS1 meters would no longer count towards
the 2020 target for each supplier. The end date for credit
SMETS1 credit meters was amended by way of a Direction issued on
the 4 October 2018 by the Secretary of State, BEIS, pursuant to
SLC 39 and 33 of the electricity and gas supply licences,
to 5 December 2018."

Turns out the March 2019 date I had seen was for pre-payment, and it's
possible the date for credit meters has been moved again, it's quite
difficult to disentangle the actual licence conditions from the public
registers

supposedly section 39 of this

https://epr.ofgem.gov.uk//Content/Documents/Electricity%20Supply%20Standard%20Licence%20Condit ions%20Consolidated%20-%20Current%20Version.pdf?utm_source=ofgem&utm_medi um=&utm_term=&utm_content=licencecondition&utm_cam paign=epr

and section 33 of this

https://epr.ofgem.gov.uk//Content/Documents/Gas%20supply%20standard%20licence%20conditions%20c onsolidated%20-%20Current%20Version.pdf?utm_source=ofgem&utm_medi um=&utm_term=&utm_content=licencecondition&utm_cam paign=epr

John November 29th 19 03:04 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32NYQpvy8Q

Max Demian November 29th 19 05:39 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

On 29/11/2019 08:44, alan_m wrote:
On 27/11/2019 20:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) expressed precisely :

The very knowledgeable folk at EDF told me that the latest meters now
are able to be used by all* energy companies, but the older ones were
not. Not only that but apparently they are easy to hack into as well,
no doubt designed a long time ago, so I guess whatever happens all
those early smart meters are going to end up on the scrap heap in
favour off the new improved all singing ones, till the next problems
surface.. Cynic, me?

All the old style Smart Meters will be fitted in order to meet the meter
replacement targets!* Waiting this long to get a Smart Meter is no
guarantee that one of the new style will be fitted!

Soon it will be time for all those meters with batteries to start
failing to be smart!

I've heard that smart gas meters turn the gas off when the battery runs
down.

--
Max Demian

Theo[_3_] November 29th 19 10:47 PM

Smart meters again -Eon

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
on 29/11/2019, Theo supposed :
They use ZigBee to the IHD, and it is possible to get Consumer Access
Devices (CAD) that tap into the data feed.

Can you provide a URL to a CAD, assuming you mean something I can
access with a PC?

Only SMETS1, but for instance:
https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/glow-stick

I don't know how 'cloudy' that particular one is, or whether there's a local
web interface. Your supplier also needs to approve its connection to the
meter.

https://community.openenergymonitor....ta-access/4820
has more details.

Theo

tim... November 30th 19 08:44 AM

Smart meters again -Eon

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 20:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) expressed precisely :
The very knowledgeable folk at EDF told me that the latest meters now
are able to be used by all energy companies, but the older ones were
not. Not only that but apparently they are easy to hack into as well, no
doubt designed a long time ago, so I guess whatever happens all those
early smart meters are going to end up on the scrap heap in favour off
the new improved all singing ones, till the next problems surface..
Cynic, me?

All the old style Smart Meters will be fitted in order to meet the meter
replacement targets! Waiting this long to get a Smart Meter is no
guarantee that one of the new style will be fitted!

Soon it will be time for all those meters with batteries to start failing
to be smart!

leccy meters get their power from the mains, so it is only gas meters that
have batteries that will fail

There are fewer smart features in gas meters than leccy ones so less to go
wrong when they fail