Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Smart meters again -Eon

"Robin" wrote in message
On 30/11/2019 08:47, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
news
On 29/11/2019 08:44, alan_m wrote:
On 27/11/2019 20:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) expressed precisely :

The very knowledgeable folk at EDF told me that the latest meters now
are able to be used by all energy companies, but the older ones were
not. Not only that but apparently they are easy to hack into as well,
no doubt designed a long time ago, so I guess whatever happens all
those early smart meters are going to end up on the scrap heap in
favour off the new improved all singing ones, till the next problems
surface.. Cynic, me?

All the old style Smart Meters will be fitted in order to meet the
meter replacement targets! Waiting this long to get a Smart Meter is
no guarantee that one of the new style will be fitted!

Soon it will be time for all those meters with batteries to start
failing to be smart!

I've heard that smart gas meters turn the gas off when the battery runs
down.

I think you are wrong

I don't know where they ended up on that. There were clear arguments for
closing the valve (else scrotes would get free gas by removing batteries).
And for the valve staying open (else vulnerable consumers bringing ordure
on suppliers - eg by dying of hypothermia). At one stage it was going to
be configurable by the supplier.

Yours was my initial reaction too but on further thought likely
the problem is that with the gas turned off, some would try to
light the gas stove, find it wont light, leave the control on the
stove turned on and then when the gas supply comes back
once the bill has been paid etc, end up with gas in the house
which can be lit with a cigarette being lit etc.

the basic rule of gas supplies is that it should NOT be turned on/off
when a resident is not in occupation, as turning it on in an uncontrolled
way could kill people.

I think the policy with batteries takes that into account as the person
sent out to replace the battery would be trained to restore the supply
safely.

Sure but that wouldn't happen if its turned on remotely
again when the outstanding bill has been paid etc.