Old November 10th 19, 02:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED spotlight bulbs

Hi All

I am looking to replace all my MR16 bulbs with LED ones. Anyone know a cheap place to buy them online?

Thanks

Lee.

Old November 10th 19, 03:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2019 13:47, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am looking to replace all my MR16 bulbs with LED ones. Anyone know a cheap place to buy them online?

Thanks

Do they have individual transformers?

--
Adam
Old November 10th 19, 03:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they do
Old November 10th 19, 04:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am looking to replace all my MR16 bulbs with LED ones. Anyone know a
cheap place to buy them online?

Thanks

Lee.

Screwfix do packs of 5 at a reasonable price.

Someone I know spoke highly of them.

Old November 10th 19, 04:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2019 14:46, Lee Nowell wrote:
Yes they do

Then you probably need to swap them for GU10 lamp holders and get LED
GU10 lamps.

--
Adam

Old November 10th 19, 05:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Why do you suggest changing the fittings?
Old November 10th 19, 05:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote in news:7734db5d-e8d4-468a-b674-
:

Why do you suggest changing the fittings?

It will be so you can use GU10 mains bulbs to get rid of th inneficient
transformers.
Old November 10th 19, 06:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2019 16:25, Lee Nowell wrote:
Why do you suggest changing the fittings?

To save you money as you would need to buy a LED driver for every light,
because the transformer will not cope with the LED lamp (it will say 20W
or 20AV minimum on it)

This is based on what you might have but I am not bad at guessing,

In most cases the light fitting can be reused and it's just it's a
simple case of swapping the transformer for a GU10 lamp holder and the
MR16 for a GU10.

I have done swap overs using my suggestion thousands of times.

--
Adam
Old November 10th 19, 08:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Really? Is there going to be that much loss at such a low current? One thing
somebody I know found was the tremendous variability in brightness of
different LED bulbs supposedly the same specs.
Is that common?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
2.236...

Old November 10th 19, 11:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Really? Is there going to be that much loss at such a low current? One thing
somebody I know found was the tremendous variability in brightness of
different LED bulbs supposedly the same specs.
Is that common?
Brian

Transformers designed for halogen bulbs often won't work with lower
powered LED bulbs. There is also the problem of whether the
transformers produce AC or DC 12V, but that may not matter, I'm not
sure. It is cheaper to replace the bulb holder than the transformer,
and not much harder, while at the same time removing a possible point of
failure.

--

Roger Hayter