Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default LED spotlight bulbs

On 11/11/2019 08:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
Lee Nowell wrote:

Aha as they say... You learn something new everyday . Thanks for this
was about to buy a whole load of MR 16's. Will check the transformer and
revert back.

Out of interest, why did electricians fit the 12v ones instead of the 240v
ones in the first place? Would have saved the expense of the transformer?

Thanks

Lee.

I think 12v halogens are more robiust and last longer, slightly more
efficient and possibly cheaper. They were also available sooner and
perhaps a little smaller, ISTR.

It's the MR11's that are smaller-(small **** take)

I am sure that years ago some Auroa light fittings came with both lamp
holders (MR16 and GU10).

I am going to have to say that not only were the MR16s cheaper and more
robust there was a good chance a customer's cheque would clear before
there were 4 GU10 failures. MR16's also had a 4000K lamp. GU 10 did not.

None of that really applies to LEDS, which are really optimised by
having a reasonable quality mains supplied driver as part of the light
fitting rather than part of a replaceable bulb. Maybe one day we will
have modular replacement LED units, but I doubt it; cheaper, easily
replaceable light fittings is probably the way to go.

Start a protest for them then. I'll join you.

We can march down streets that are badly lit up with LEDs (not the one's
I fitted of course) and call in for a pint in a badly lit pub on the way
(a nice mix and match of warm white and cool white LED lamps in the same
ceiling fixtures)

Greta has not thought of modular and she is supposed to be smart.

All the best.

--
Adam