Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triple spotlight: bulbs blowing in one of the fittings

Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use 40W
R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one particular
fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One lasted about
thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived into the next
day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without wholesale
disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems unlikely,
is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole batch of them?
Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Many thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to one and all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 12:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use
40W R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one
particular fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One
lasted about thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived
into the next day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without
wholesale disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them? Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Many thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to one and all.

I've had a similar problem with B&Q GU10 lamps, solved when I replaced
them with some from TLC.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave, thanks for that. I've now put on my deerstalker, thought for a bit,
and initiated an experiment: I put a bulb from another room into the suspect
socket and the last remaining bulb from the possibly-dodgy batch in the
fitting in the other room. Later, I'll leave both lights switched on and
see what happens...

Incidentally the box of bulbs was from Homebase.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 12:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use
40W R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one
particular fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One
lasted about thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived
into the next day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without
wholesale disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them? Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Many thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to one and all.

It's either a dud batch, or there's something wrong with the connections
or wiring on that individual socket, causing arcing and effectively
turning the bulb on and off rapidly, reducing its life.

I think the first possibility (dud batch) is more likely, because you
should other wise be able to see some evidence of burnt contacts or
charred wires. You could check my hypothesis by swapping bulbs - putting
a known good bulb in the 'suspect' socket, and putting another new one
where that came from.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/16 12:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use
40W R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one
particular fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One
lasted about thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived
into the next day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without
wholesale disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them?

Very much so. Could be 'European' bulbs designed for a slightly lower
voltage

Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Many thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to one and all.

Consider LED R50 spotlights instead.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote:

Consider LED R50 spotlights instead.

Thanks for the thought, though I'm not fond of LED lighting. Are the R50
ones dimmable?

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger, thanks for that. I would have noticed any rapid switching on and
off, I think. And as you say, I didn't observe any signs of arcing.

Your post must have overlapped with my own follow-up, where I mentioned
trying exactly the experiment you propose.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote:

Consider LED R50 spotlights instead.

Thanks for the thought, though I'm not fond of LED lighting. Are the R50
ones dimmable?

You can buy dimmable ones. But then you might have to change your dimmer
switch!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 13:22, Bert Coules wrote:

Roger, thanks for that. I would have noticed any rapid switching on and
off, I think. And as you say, I didn't observe any signs of arcing.

If a dodgy connection rapid switching could be triggered by vibration of
someone walking on the floor above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:

You can buy dimmable ones. But then you might have to change your dimmer
switch!

Complications, complications... I think I'll try to sort out what I've got.
Thanks!

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote:

If a dodgy connection rapid switching could be triggered by vibration of
someone walking on the floor above.

If that's the cause, I have a whole new set of problems: I live in a
bungalow.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which
use 40W R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one
particular fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One
lasted about thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third
survived into the next day. I've checked as much of the unit as I
could without wholesale disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a
whole batch of them? Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Many thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to one and all.

I've got those in my office. They never seem to last very long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them? Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

If it was B&Q, about par for the course. Bought some fittings from them
and all the supplied bulbs blew in short order. Got replacements from TLC
which have been fine.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'dbe tempted, when everything is cold and settled to move three from one
light to another and put the remainder of the new ones in a second fitting.
What should happen is that the ones from the new batch will all blow in the
other fitting. That would mean its the batch which are faulty, if on the
other hand the problem persists in the original fitting I'd get an exorcist
in asap!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use 40W
R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one particular
fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One lasted about
thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived into the next
day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without wholesale
disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them? Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Many thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to one and all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 13:45, Bert Coules wrote:
"alan_m" wrote:

If a dodgy connection rapid switching could be triggered by vibration
of someone walking on the floor above.

If that's the cause, I have a whole new set of problems: I live in a
bungalow.

Bert

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian,

I have tried something along those lines, albeit with one bulb rather than
all three. Once it gets dark I'll switch on both fittings and see what
happens.

If the suspect unit starts spinning around and vomiting, I'll consider
getting supernatural help...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/16 13:21, Bert Coules wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote:

Consider LED R50 spotlights instead.

Thanks for the thought, though I'm not fond of LED lighting. Are the
R50 ones dimmable?

Probably not.

Bert

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules expressed precisely :
All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems unlikely,
is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole batch of them?
Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Numerous places mistakenly sell lamps intended for 230v, whereas what
is needed for the UK is 240v lamps, which means they just don't last
very long.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Numerous places mistakenly sell lamps intended for 230v, whereas what is
needed for the UK is 240v...

I wondered if that could be it, but the blown bulbs were all clearly marked
as 240V.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

An update: the lights were on for several hours last night, and were tried
again this morning. Neither the new bulb (in a non-suspect fitting) nor an
old and well-used bulb (in the possibly faulty fitting) have blown. Perhaps
I was just unlucky in the three bulbs which only lasted very briefly.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 January 2016 13:12:44 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/01/16 12:29, Bert Coules wrote:

Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use
40W R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one
particular fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One
lasted about thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived
into the next day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without
wholesale disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them?

Very much so. Could be 'European' bulbs designed for a slightly lower
voltage

220v bulbs have a life of about 300hrs ave on 240v, so it's not that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 January 2016 13:23:18 UTC, Bert Coules wrote:
Roger, thanks for that. I would have noticed any rapid switching on and
off, I think.

not at 100 times a second you won't. It kills bulbs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 January 2016 17:30:52 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bert Coules expressed precisely :
All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems unlikely,
is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole batch of them?
Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Numerous places mistakenly sell lamps intended for 230v, whereas what
is needed for the UK is 240v lamps, which means they just don't last
very long.

230v filament lamps don't even exist. Harry as always!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Not at 100 times a second you won't. It kills bulbs.

I hadn't realised that the cycling would be that rapid; thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 January 2016 22:07:12 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr expressed precisely :
On Friday, 1 January 2016 17:30:52 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bert Coules expressed precisely :

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems unlikely,
is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole batch of them?
Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Numerous places mistakenly sell lamps intended for 230v, whereas what
is needed for the UK is 240v lamps, which means they just don't last
very long.

230v filament lamps don't even exist. Harry as always!

You are of course very wrong. Any lamps intended for most of Europe are
manufactured as 230v. At one time in the UK you could buy 210, 220, 230
and 240v lamps. The reason being the variation in local distribution
voltages and filament lamps sensitivity to voltage.

Come back when you know your subject

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

formulated the question :
[...]

I do know my subject, but it is obviously a waste of time attempting to
explain that subject further to you.

I always check the voltage markings on lamps I purchase, to ensure they
are 240v intended for the UK market, because I often see 230v ones
intended for the EU on sale in the UK - FACT. Yes, I have been caught
out a few times. These last no time at all and are not worth the effort
of installing them.

Back in the pre 1960's you could certainly buy a variety of lamps with
voltages 210, 220, 230 and 240v. Checking the voltage required was as
important as checking the wattage of the lamp required - FACT.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 16:21:04 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr formulated the question :
[...]

Shaking head here. Enjoy your bulb purchasing.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 16:22:37 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that tabby purr formulated :
On Friday, 1 January 2016 13:23:18 UTC, Bert Coules wrote:
Roger, thanks for that. I would have noticed any rapid switching on and
off, I think.

not at 100 times a second you won't. It kills bulbs.

You sir are an idiot!

Reputable testing indicates otherwise.

Switching on and off 100 times per second is
normal operation on a/c mains.

It's when a poor connection switches on & off 100 times a second that filament lamps die early. Could you not work out that that was the point?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 16:23:39 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Sunday :
On Friday, 1 January 2016 13:12:44 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/01/16 12:29, Bert Coules wrote:

Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use
40W R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one
particular fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One
lasted about thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived
into the next day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without
wholesale disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them?

Very much so. Could be 'European' bulbs designed for a slightly lower
voltage

220v bulbs have a life of about 300hrs ave on 240v, so it's not that.

You are making it up as you go along.

Something tells me you're unfamiliar with the equations that apply to filament lamps.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 16:21:00 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

[...]

After WW2 National service until he decided what work would best suit
him to my Dad assisted a buddy was starting a small electrical
business. In the end Dad decided to follow another career but a
remnant from that short stint was a carton or two of lamps.
All standard bayonet connection mainly around 40 Watts.
All were the same size physically
Voltages marked on them were 12 ,24,50, 100, 200,through to 250
although by the time I got to rifle through the boxes anything left
for 200 and above was coloured not clear which had been used.
Reason for having the variations is post war the mains was only just
arriving in the area but a lot farms had their own generators
supplying different voltages.
Over my growing up years I got through most of them ,making up
fittings that held lamps in series for use in Dads sheds or 12V
inspection lamps for use with vehicles or in my first road legal
vehicle an A35 van a decent interior light in the back.
The lamps were fitted into a fitting designed to hang in a shop window
as a Black and Black advert so that was double DIY points.

The coloured ones above 200v were used up in the outside Loo where
visitors got used to it having a green or orange light and for a
period blue thus predating public bog attempts to deter drug users by
50 years.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

At Cambridge, at the end of the 50s and early 60s, mains was 200v.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Update: the known-to-be-good bulb taken from a different room and put into
the possibly-suspect fitting is still going strong after several days. The
new bulb from the possibly-suspect batch put into a known-to-be-OK light
fitting is also still burning bright.

Conclusion: several (but not all) of the bulbs in the Homebase box-of-six
had, for whatever reason, a very limited life span. There is nothing amiss
with the suspected fitting or the wiring feeding it.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
An update: the lights were on for several hours last night, and were tried
again this morning. Neither the new bulb (in a non-suspect fitting) nor
an old and well-used bulb (in the possibly faulty fitting) have blown.

Perhaps I was just unlucky in the three bulbs which only lasted very
briefly.

That is IMHO the most probable answer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2016 16:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Back in the pre 1960's you could certainly buy a variety of lamps with
voltages 210, 220, 230 and 240v. Checking the voltage required was as
important as checking the wattage of the lamp required - FACT.

As a child in Huddersfield in the 50's I remember that it was important
to say what district you lived in when buying a lamp bulb because there
were different voltages in different areas of the town. Eventually it
was standardised and I remember men coming round from the electricity
board replacing lamp bulbs and the elements in cookers, electric fires
and irons. I think they also changed the motor in my Mum's vac.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 23:02:10 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 04/01/2016 22:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr expressed precisely :
On Friday, 1 January 2016 17:30:52 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bert Coules expressed precisely :

Numerous places mistakenly sell lamps intended for 230v, whereas what
is needed for the UK is 240v lamps, which means they just don't last
very long.

230v filament lamps don't even exist. Harry as always!

You are of course very wrong.

Nope, it is possible still to buy 240V lamps.
http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical...ghts/cat840836

All UK mains filament lamps are 240v, barring any odd specials eg for railways etc.

230V is the EU standard for supply and the supply in the UK is still
240V which of course is within tolerance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_...Voltage_levels

Yep. But don't tell Harry.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 19:12:52 UTC+1, charles wrote:
At Cambridge, at the end of the 50s and early 60s, mains was 200v.

One of the telescopes at the Institute of Astronomy still uses 200V.
Apparently the electricity company turned up to change everything to
240V and decided to "back away carefully".

I don't know where they get the power from (probably a transformer).

Spotlight fittings. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 August 7th 14 03:00 PM
Blowing bulbs GMM UK diy 9 November 3rd 11 01:31 PM
Blowing bulbs The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 April 6th 11 07:52 PM
R39 bulbs keep blowing Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 6 March 29th 09 10:02 AM
Spotlight bulbs: R63 100W? Bert Coules UK diy 0 May 17th 05 01:54 PM