Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default LED spotlight bulbs

On 12/11/2019 13:52, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

I must nip into the Lass o' Gowrie soon and see if it is still gas lit

The old Angel Hotel in Ilford was closed and sold off in the
late 70s/early 80s

It was replaced by a new pub built on the site of the former
stable block at the rear and, the first time I visited, I was
surprised to find gas lights on the front of the bar. They
were fairly low so not where you would choose to wait in hot
weather!

One day I was waitng to be served and a lad in his 20s was
waiting next to me - underneath the gas lamp.

Presumably the hissing (and the heat) attracted his attention
because I was vaguely aware of him studying it. Then, without
warning, his hand shot up and he grabbed the white hot mantle
between his thumb and forefinger!

The mantle instantly ceased to exist and his hand flew to his
mouth where he started furiously sucking his incinerated
digits!

"Have you never seen a gas lamp before?" I asked. A rapid
shaking of the head followed then a hasty "No" between sucks.

ROTFL.

Thanks for that one Terry.

--
Adam