Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low Voltage LED Spotlight

I've just purchased a few (not too pricey) GU5.3 LED bulbs to replace my
low voltage lamps in my stairway.

On connecting and switching on the bulb flashes then goes out, if I
switch off then back on it again flashes.

Is this likely to be a transformer problem, unfortunately due to a
building extension each of 5 lamps on my stairway have a separate
transformer and it would be very difficult to rewire each into a new
transformer.

Any ideas appreciated.

Geoff Lane
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 17:28, Geoff Lane wrote:
I've just purchased a few (not too pricey) GU5.3 LED bulbs to replace my
low voltage lamps in my stairway.

On connecting and switching on the bulb flashes then goes out, if I
switch off then back on it again flashes.

Is this likely to be a transformer problem, unfortunately due to a
building extension each of 5 lamps on my stairway have a separate
transformer and it would be very difficult to rewire each into a new
transformer.

Any ideas appreciated.

Geoff Lane

Probably below minimum load on the trafo, usually 10 or 20 W.

Looks like you`ll have to look at the wiring fishing thread from a
while back.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Looks like you`ll have to look at the wiring fishing thread from a
while back.

Thanks Adam, was wiring fishing the subject?

Did an initial google search and no luck.

Geoff Lane
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Lane wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:

Looks like you`ll have to look at the wiring fishing thread from a
while back.

Thanks Adam, was wiring fishing the subject?

Did an initial google search and no luck.

Geoff Lane

To verify this, put a normal lamp in (maybe two) and see if this cures it!

If this is the case, then you will need to either leave the circuit with a
micture of lamps, or chnage the transformer for a lower wattage one, but
make sure if you decide to switch back, you put the old one back in, or you
will probably end up overloading the smaller one!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:

To verify this, put a normal lamp in (maybe two) and see if this cures it!

If this is the case, then you will need to either leave the circuit with
a micture of lamps, or chnage the transformer for a lower wattage one,
but make sure if you decide to switch back, you put the old one back in,
or you will probably end up overloading the smaller one!

Thanks for reply Toby, it may be impracticable to replace the
transformer (cost wise) as I cannot get to the wiring to get one
transformer to supply multiple bulbs and one transformer per bulb would
be costly.

Geoff Lane

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 17:47, Geoff Lane wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Looks like you`ll have to *look at the wiring fishing thread from a
while back.

Thanks Adam, was wiring fishing the subject?

Did an initial google search and no luck.

Geoff Lane

Cant remember thread title , was in last few months with tips about
pulling wiring....

If all the trafos are wired in parallel on one circuit and provided
you can get access to all of the trafos, remove all of the existing
tafos, paralell up the connections behind lamps and use a single 12V
constant voltage driver at easiest location with space.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd3074/p50789

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...hbutton=submit

HTH
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

If all the trafos are wired in parallel on one circuit and provided
you can get access to all of the trafos, remove all of the existing
tafos, paralell up the connections behind lamps and use a single 12V
constant voltage driver at easiest location with space.

Thanks for suggestion Adam, I will view the links but from the limited
view I have of the lamps and trafos one I can see joins in to a mains
junction box so at a guess all of them are spurs off the mains wiring.

Geoff Lane
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb, 20:51, Geoff Lane wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:
If all the trafos are wired in parallel on one circuit and provided
you can get access to all of the trafos, remove all of the existing
tafos, paralell up the connections behind lamps and use a single 12V
constant voltage driver at easiest location with space.

Thanks for suggestion Adam, I will view the links but from the limited
view I have of the lamps and trafos one I can see joins in to a mains
junction box so at a guess all of them are spurs off the mains wiring.

Geoff Lane

If they`re wire ended trafos common to link them off a junction box,
like Toolstation link.

Ones with internal terminals usually come with loop in and out
nowadays (thankfully), like screwfix item which is physically quite a
bit bigger.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

If all the trafos are wired in parallel on one circuit and provided
you can get access to all of the trafos, remove all of the existing
tafos, paralell up the connections behind lamps and use a single 12V
constant voltage driver at easiest location with space.

Thanks for the links Adam, my problem is that with the wiring behind
ceiling plasterboard I cannot see where the wiring goes to or comes from.

I think I understand your explanation, you are suggesting the
transformers are all being fed off of one electrical spur.

I will think about that option.

Geoff Lane

recessed spotlight wiring. [email protected] UK diy 19 October 15th 07 07:39 PM
Building Regulations Spotlight installation Jquinn UK diy 0 November 30th 05 06:43 PM
US Flag spotlight Matt Home Repair 10 May 23rd 05 02:16 AM
Spotlight bulbs: R63 100W? Bert Coules UK diy 0 May 17th 05 01:54 PM
Spotlight advice (HTML post) Reckless UK diy 17 April 25th 05 11:51 AM