Junior Member

Default Building Regulations Spotlight installation

Hi!

I wish to replace some pendant light fittings with low voltage halogen spotlights. Among the instructions with the light fittings is a note about the new building regs as of Jan '05. It says that...

"You don't need to be a qualified elctrician to make changes to your home's electrical system, but the work must be done in accordance with the standards in the Regulations.

You do not need to notify your Local Authority if you do minor electrical work such as:-
-replacing or reparing a socket or light in any room
-adding extra spurs or lights to an existing circuit (except in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors)."

From reading this, my understanding is that it is ok for me to install low voltage spotlights in place of an existing pendant light, and that I don't need to notify the BCO, or even have it checked by a proffessional, providing of course that it complies with the regulations.

Is this correct, because I think I have read otherwise somewhere on the web? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Building regulations for windows/fire saftey Mark UK diy 4 October 13th 04 06:43 PM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM
Building regulations for boiler installation Reestit Mutton UK diy 6 November 15th 03 11:48 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Building Warrants - Buying Flat Without L Reid UK diy 6 July 16th 03 03:54 PM