Matt

Default US Flag spotlight

Hey all -

Any experience with what type of lighting is best for lighting a flag?

It's going to be about 25' up, and the flag is approx 5' long.

I'd prefer to get as tight a beam as possible on the flag, so as not to
**** off the neighbors at night.

Thanks
Matt

Dick

On 19 May 2005 12:02:47 -0700, "Matt" wrote:

Hey all -

Any experience with what type of lighting is best for lighting a flag?

It's going to be about 25' up, and the flag is approx 5' long.

I'd prefer to get as tight a beam as possible on the flag, so as not to
**** off the neighbors at night.

Thanks
Matt

I use a 45-watt spot lamp made for outdoor use. It's a Halogen lamp
made by GE. Looks just like the flood lamps used for security
lighting, but the beam is only 12-degrees wide. Bought it at Home
Depot. The only thing that lights up is the flag and the pole.
Nothing shoots up into the sky.

Dick
Matt

Cool. Thanks!....

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

How far from the pole did you install it? Initially I was thinking of
installing the lamp about 4' from the pole, but now I'm thinking the
best thing might be is to install right at the base and aim it straight
up.

Thanks again
Matt

Dick

On 19 May 2005 16:52:05 -0700, "Matt" wrote:

Cool. Thanks!....

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

How far from the pole did you install it? Initially I was thinking of
installing the lamp about 4' from the pole, but now I'm thinking the
best thing might be is to install right at the base and aim it straight
up.

Thanks again
Matt

I put the lamp in an outdoor socket that has a spike on the back. I
stuck it in the ground, pointing straight up, about a foot from the
pole. I use a timer that has a photo-electric cell so it turns on at
dusk and off at dawn.

Dick
Walter R.

I thought it was considered disrespect for the flag if you fly it at night.
You are supposed to take it down at sunset.

--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
On 19 May 2005 12:02:47 -0700, "Matt" wrote:

Hey all -

Any experience with what type of lighting is best for lighting a flag?

It's going to be about 25' up, and the flag is approx 5' long.

I'd prefer to get as tight a beam as possible on the flag, so as not to
**** off the neighbors at night.

Thanks
Matt

I use a 45-watt spot lamp made for outdoor use. It's a Halogen lamp
made by GE. Looks just like the flood lamps used for security
lighting, but the beam is only 12-degrees wide. Bought it at Home
Depot. The only thing that lights up is the flag and the pole.
Nothing shoots up into the sky.

Dick

wayne

You can fly the flag at night as long as it is lit that is why he wants to
buy a light. Just remember you will probably need more than one light since
it will need to be lit no matter which direction it is waving. At the AF
Base where I work they have 3 light facing straight up at the base of the
pole. They would only light the flag. The odd part is they take the flag
down at night as far as I can recall.?

This web site explains it all.

http://www.eaglemountainflag.com/flag%20pole.htm
The more vertical the light the better off you will be as the light will
not be seen at all unless the flag crosses the beam so it will not be
noticeable from your neighbors

Wayne

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

HorneTD

Walter R. wrote:
I thought it was considered disrespect for the flag if you fly it at night.
You are supposed to take it down at sunset.

Government offices that do not provide services after hours are supposed
to lower the flag when the office closes. All others are free to fly
lighted all weather flags around the clock.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.
TKM

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey all -

Any experience with what type of lighting is best for lighting a flag?

It's going to be about 25' up, and the flag is approx 5' long.

I'd prefer to get as tight a beam as possible on the flag, so as not to
**** off the neighbors at night.

Thanks
Matt

The best kind of lighting "downlights" the flag from a small rack of LEDs or
low wattage incandescent spots on top of the flag pole directed downard.
There's little stray light and very few watts are required.

An alternative if you have to mount the lighting fixtures on the ground is
to use two or three 20 or 25 watt PAR36 or MR16 low voltage narrow spot
lamps (12 volt). Use a fixture with a long tube or shield so that the light
doesn't spill in all directions and is directed only where the flag will be.
Power the system with a transformer designed for outdoor landscape lighting.
Some transformers have a timer or photocell/timer combinations so they are
on only when it's likely that someone will be looking at the flag.

TKM

Dick

On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:37:52 GMT, "TKM" wrote:

Power the system with a transformer designed for outdoor landscape lighting.
Some transformers have a timer or photocell/timer combinations so they are
on only when it's likely that someone will be looking at the flag.

TKM

Flag protocol requires that the flag be lighted from dusk to dawn.
Between those times you can't turn the lighting off just because it's
not likely that someone will be looking at it.
matt

Burn the flag,the rest of the world will love you for it.

Dick

On 22 May 2005 17:42:37 -0700, "matt"
wrote:

Burn the flag,the rest of the world will love you for it.

This part of the world won't.

Spotlight bulbs: R63 100W? Bert Coules UK diy 0 May 17th 05 01:54 PM
Spotlight advice (HTML post) Reckless UK diy 17 April 25th 05 11:51 AM
flag stone walks Boots Home Repair 4 April 4th 05 12:00 PM
Flag box Rob V Woodworking 1 December 17th 04 01:59 AM
Question on flag display case PC Gameplayer Woodworking 15 November 29th 03 05:35 AM