Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED spotlight bulbs

On 11/11/2019 17:47, ARW wrote:
On 11/11/2019 12:54, Lee Nowell wrote:
I have just checked my transformers and they say 20 - 60 W/VA so looks
like these won't work. Thanks for the tip everyone will know source a
GU10 lead and hopefully the bulb diameter is the same and I can reuse
the fitting.

Depending on your fittings the problem of making the GU holder fit is
just down to pot look. Sometimes they are dome shaped, sometimes they
are flat.I had to try a few wholesalers last time before I got one that
fitted.

The commonest seem to be GU10s (mains) and MR16s (12V).

GU10s are typically 50mm diameter at the bulb face and MR16s are 51mm.

The fittings I have in our bathroom were supplied without lampholders,
which were bought separately. The bulb is held by a spring clamp in the
fitting, around the rim of the front face of the bulb and the connectors
are simply loose and hold themselves onto the bulb. Changing between
types would simply require swapping the connectors, removing the
transformer and feeding mains directly.

SteveW