Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lubricating oven rails

Hi All

I have an oven which has telescopic rails which allows certain shelves to slide out on arms. They are now getting a bit sticky and one of them struggles to go all the way in. Was wondering what the best oil is to lubricate it.

Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3 in 1 oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also thought about vegetable oil.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote on 07/10/2019 :
Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3 in 1
oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also thought about
vegetable oil.

They would rapidely burn off. I would suggest dry PTFE might do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perfectly clean would be best.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2019 18:55, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have an oven which has telescopic rails which allows certain shelves to slide out on arms. They are now getting a bit sticky and one of them struggles to go all the way in. Was wondering what the best oil is to lubricate it.

Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3 in 1 oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also thought about vegetable oil.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

Its probably hardened vegetable oil or burnt on fat that has caused the
rails to become sticky. Clean them with a spray on oven cleaner (repeat
if required)

WD 40 will last all of 10 seconds (flash point 49C), 3in 1 oil has a
flash point of around 150C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 19:11:40 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Lee Nowell wrote on 07/10/2019 :
Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3 in 1
oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also thought about
vegetable oil.

They would rapidely burn off. I would suggest dry PTFE might do it.

I wouldn't suggest PTFE

Frying pan temperatures are generally ok with PTFE coatings as long as you don't
have an empty pan on a full output ring.

In the environment of an oven it gets slightly more dodgy. 200 deg C would be
ok, but our oven for instance has a top setting of 300 deg C, that is getting
into dodgy territory with PTFE. With a wonky thermostat it only need to rise
to 327 deg C for the PTFE to start liberating some lethal products.

If the oven has catalytic cleaning like ours then it could be a clean oven with
the drawback of a very permanent goodnight for all in the vicinity.

https://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-con...ition.prod.htm

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...-decomposition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do they have internal ball bearings, if they do remove them from the oven
and degrease them and then use ptfe or graphite based dry lubricant, and
refit them. Its normally the old grease from cooking that makes them stiff.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" wrote in message
2.236...

Perfectly clean would be best.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2019 18:55, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have an oven which has telescopic rails which allows certain shelves to slide out on arms. They are now getting a bit sticky and one of them struggles to go all the way in. Was wondering what the best oil is to lubricate it.

Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3 in 1 oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also thought about vegetable oil.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

almost certainly you dont need lubrication you need caustic to get rid
of the grease that is coking it up

--
€œThere are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.€

€”Soren Kierkegaard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 08:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
It will burn off with a terrible pong so don't cook in it till its gone!
I'm thinking a good clean then some kind of graphite based stuff.
Brian

Agree completely about cleaning. Graphite is one option, the other thing
which will take the temperature is a pure silicone oil. Either as a
spray or the liquid which is sold for lubricating waste pipe fittings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Perfectly clean would be best.

That is my thinking. I suspect they have become €˜gummed up.

Assuming the rails can be disassembled, Id try taking them apart and
cleaning them.

With the best will in the world, the nooks and crannies of an oven are s*ds
to clean. We have a self cleaning over and still need to ensure the nooks
and crannies are clean after a cleaning cycle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 11:18:41 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 08/10/2019 08:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
It will burn off with a terrible pong so don't cook in it till its gone!
I'm thinking a good clean then some kind of graphite based stuff.
Brian

Agree completely about cleaning. Graphite is one option, the other thing
which will take the temperature is a pure silicone oil. Either as a
spray or the liquid which is sold for lubricating waste pipe fittings.

How about asking the manufacturer? Our oven (Neff) came with such rails.
There are signs of white grease in the bearings. The manufacturer
must know what they use at the factory.
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2019 18:55, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have an oven which has telescopic rails which allows certain shelves
to slide out on arms. They are now getting a bit sticky and one of
them struggles to go all the way in. Was wondering what the best oil
is to lubricate it.

Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3
in 1 oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also
thought about vegetable oil.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

almost certainly you dont need lubrication you need caustic to get rid
of the grease that is coking it up

Agreed, but it may be difficult to clean completely; all depends on
access and geometry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 October 2019 18:55:40 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have an oven which has telescopic rails which allows certain shelves to slide out on arms. They are now getting a bit sticky and one of them struggles to go all the way in. Was wondering what the best oil is to lubricate it.

Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3 in 1 oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also thought about vegetable oil.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

WD40 is almost the same as white spirit. It's not a lubricant.
Vegetable oils turn to very sticky gum, especially in high temps, the last thing you need.
Oil is the problem, not the solution. Clean the thing out, don't relube it. Ammonia or caustic soda are the things to get baked grease out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all. Good advice as usual. Looks like first step is to try and get them clean. The ball bearings are internal and no obvious way of dismantling them. Our oven is a Siemens if anyone has experience of these.

A couple of you have suggested caustic soda. Any idea of ratio of caustic to water I should use? I can soak them for a while and see what happens.

Thanks

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

Our oven is a Siemens if anyone has experience of these.

Siemens, Bosch and Neff all come from the same factory, so will use a
lot of the same innards, cleaning procedures will be similar across the
brands ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 17:11, newshound wrote:

My bosch oven uses lithium grease, its been fine for five years

Not on the rails, surely? Perhaps in the fan bearings, but of course
these are in a cooler region (and probably have a designed cooling flow).

On the rails.

Just don't leave the rails in when using pyrolytic cleaning.

The online manual now says only use high temp food grade lubricants and
gives a phone number to talk to support.

The original paper stuff said lithium grease as I remember but I haven't
seen the paper stuff for years.

There is certainly a white grease on the ball bearings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All.

I was hoping to try cleaning them today but after a bit of googling the technique seems a bit varied. Some say cold water , some hot (unsure if this means boiling or not) and the rato of caustic soda to water seems more if a "bung some in". Anyone have experience of doing this and can clarify a bit?

Thanks

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 12:29:53 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All.

I was hoping to try cleaning them today but after a bit of googling the technique seems a bit varied. Some say cold water , some hot (unsure if this means boiling or not) and the rato of caustic soda to water seems more if a "bung some in". Anyone have experience of doing this and can clarify a bit?

Thanks

Lee

'bung some in' works for me You don't need much, it's very strong stuff. The NaOH will heat the water. And obviously you need eye protection, and to rinse off any that gets on your skin.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just checked the garage it is sugar soap I have (a few opened packets left over over the years). Quick Google seems to say this is the same as caustic soda. Really? I guess I have lots of it so can give it a try and see what happens
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 12:47, Lee Nowell wrote:
Just checked the garage it is sugar soap I have (a few opened packets
left over over the years). Quick Google seems to say this is the same
as caustic soda. Really? I guess I have lots of it so can give it a
try and see what happens

It surely is not!

Mayb washing soda or sodium triphosphate..but not sodoum hydroxide!

get some oven clean caustic spry from the supemrmarket - Mr Muscle etc

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 12:29, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All.

I was hoping to try cleaning them today but after a bit of googling the technique seems a bit varied. Some say cold water , some hot (unsure if this means boiling or not) and the rato of caustic soda to water seems more if a "bung some in". Anyone have experience of doing this and can clarify a bit?

Thanks

Lee

Pre heat the oven to a "warm to the touch" temperature and use a can of
spray on foaming oven cleaner. Your soda water mix will just run off
while a propriety can of oven cleaner spray will remain in place long
enough to start working on the sticky gunge. You may need to leave it
for 10 minutes before applying more foam. Wear disposable or washing up
gloves and watch what you breath in - squirt the can foam cleaner on the
rail for a few seconds holding your breath and then vacate the area
immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote

Just checked the garage it is sugar soap I have (a few opened packets left
over over the years).
Quick Google seems to say this is the same as caustic soda.

Too quick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_soap#United_Kingdom

Really? I guess I have lots of it so can give it a try and see what
happens

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 04:39:07 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

It surely is not!

Mayb washing soda or sodium triphosphate..but not sodoum hydroxide!

It can be

You just HAVE to auto-contradict, regardless of the topic, eh, you
clincially insane senile ASSHOLE? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 04:37:18 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

Too quick.

Oh, **** off from normally evolved humans' ngs finally, you obnoxious senile
pest!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all great advice as usual. Bought 500g of caustic soda (£2 couldn't believe it) added the whole lot to around 40l of cold water (instructions said to use cold) and soaked them for a couple of hours. Water is now black and most of the grease is off the rails. They now run back in fully but not out fully so some progress. Cleanest they have looked in years.

Plan to get some more later and give them another soak to try and get the final runner working a d remaining crud off.

Thanks again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 06:02:08 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

Thanks all great advice as usual.

Thanks again

Go **** yourself, you perverted idiotic kisser of troll arse! tsk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peeler wrote:

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 06:02:08 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

Thanks all great advice as usual.

Thanks again

Go **** yourself, you perverted idiotic kisser of troll arse! tsk

You seem to be losing whatever tenuous grasp of reality you may once
have had.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 18:37:53 +0100, Roger Hayter, obviously another brain
damaged, senile idiot, blathered again:

Go **** yourself, you perverted idiotic kisser of troll arse! tsk

You seem to be losing whatever tenuous grasp of reality you may once
have had.

Did he or didn't he kiss troll arse, senile idiot? BG
Posted to uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
Thanks all great advice as usual. Bought 500g of caustic soda (£2 couldn't
believe it) added the whole lot to around 40l of cold water (instructions
said to use cold) and soaked them for a couple of hours. Water is now
black and most of the grease is off the rails. They now run back in fully
but not out fully so some progress. Cleanest they have looked in years.

Plan to get some more later and give them another soak to try and get the
final runner working a d remaining crud off.

You should be able to just soak them longer in the same
lot of dissolved caustic soda. You wont have consumed
much of the original 500g of caustic soda.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 05:48:25 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

You should be able to just soak them longer in the same
lot of dissolved caustic soda. You wont have consumed
much of the original 500g of caustic soda.

Obviously your brain has been soaked for too long in caustic soda, senile
asshole troll from Oz!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 October 2019 14:02:10 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Thanks all great advice as usual. Bought 500g of caustic soda (£2 couldn't believe it) added the whole lot to around 40l of cold water (instructions said to use cold) and soaked them for a couple of hours. Water is now black and most of the grease is off the rails. They now run back in fully but not out fully so some progress. Cleanest they have looked in years.

Plan to get some more later and give them another soak to try and get the final runner working a d remaining crud off.

Thanks again

40 litres? there's waste and there's WASTE.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I ended up soaking the oven racks, my BBQ racks, couple of large roasting dishes, frying pan, roasting racks as well as the telescopic rails. Ended up using a wheelbarrow as it was the only thing I had that would fit everything in (racks were difficult due to size). I tried thick bin bags first but a hole in 4 of them trying to pack the stuff in so have up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
I ended up soaking the oven racks, my BBQ racks, couple of large roasting
dishes, frying pan, roasting racks as well as the telescopic rails. Ended
up using a wheelbarrow as it was the only thing I had that would fit
everything in (racks were difficult due to size). I tried thick bin bags
first but a hole in 4 of them trying to pack the stuff in so have up.

Still should work fine to soak the rails again to
get rid of the last of the grunge. You are unlikely
to have consumed all the 500g of caustic soda

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:36 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 03:36:25 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

So much STARVED for a feedback that you need to get up a THREE o'clock a.m.
in Australia, just to see whether someone posted a reply for you, you
abnormal 85-year-old trolling senile pest? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am amazed at the results. Much better than I thought. They were all rinsed with water and then put in the dishwasher to ensure all the caustic soda was gone. Probably a bit OTT but hey. The oven trays have come out clean but seem to have a coating of white powder on them. I initially thought it might be caustic soda but now thinking it is unlikely given the level of rinsing etc. Any ideas? Is it safe to just wash it off by hand? Was thinking of using vinegar to neutralise it if it was caustic soda.

Maybe I am worrying too much. After all the warnings about caustic soda wanted to be careful
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
I am amazed at the results. Much better than I thought. They were all
rinsed with water and then put in the dishwasher to ensure all the caustic
soda was gone. Probably a bit OTT but hey. The oven trays have come out
clean but seem to have a coating of white powder on them. I initially
thought it might be caustic soda but now thinking it is unlikely given the
level of rinsing etc. Any ideas?

Its a form of soap, thats how some soaps are made, caustic and fat.

Is it safe to just wash it off by hand?

Yep, or do them in the dishwasher too if they will fit.

Was thinking of using vinegar to neutralise it if it was caustic soda.

It isnt caustic soda, its soap.

Maybe I am worrying too much.

Yep.

After all the warnings about caustic soda wanted to be careful

Thats a different problem splashes getting in your eyes when
dissolving it in water. Thats exothermic and a bit dangerous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 09:02, ZakJames wrote:

Thats a different problem splashes getting in your eyes when
dissolving it in water. Thats exothermic and a bit dangerous.

No, it's *very* dangerous. I would not suggest using NaOH pellets to
anyone who had not been shown how dissolve it properly in a lab.

Lubricating Wall Oven Hinges Victor Grund Home Repair 4 January 21st 05 01:02 AM
Lubricating Delta DP 350 Drill Press Alex Woodworking 6 December 23rd 04 06:08 PM
Lubricating Delta DP 350 Alex Metalworking 5 December 23rd 04 03:11 AM
Lubricating Oil Andy Hall UK diy 14 September 19th 04 11:52 PM
Lubricating oil for high-speed spindles Tom Gardner Metalworking 2 September 12th 04 03:45 AM