Alex

Default Lubricating Delta DP 350

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly lubrication.
Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks
Keith Marshall

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly
lubrication.

I believe that is the model that Lowe's was dumping a couple of months ago.
From what I understand the variable speed mechanism on those are plagued
with problems. Here's a recent thread on them:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2d83672138c6d0

There are also quite a few negative comments on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Tim Killian

Your best bet is to find and older used model, something with lots of
cast iron in the construction. The newer models have too many aluminum
parts and cheap, unbalanced motors. You end up with lots of vibration.

Keith Marshall wrote:

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires
weekly lubrication.

I believe that is the model that Lowe's was dumping a couple of months
ago. From what I understand the variable speed mechanism on those are
plagued with problems. Here's a recent thread on them:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2d83672138c6d0

There are also quite a few negative comments on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Joe AutoDrill

Your best bet is to find and older used model, something with lots of cast
iron in the construction. The newer models have too many aluminum parts
and cheap, unbalanced motors. You end up with lots of vibration.

100% correct as long as you get one that you can still find parts for going
forward. I have a number of customers with $200-300 workhorse machines
(i.e. huge, bomb proof) with a broken this-or-that which they can't
replace...

As long as you find one that works and there is at least the chance you can
get a parts machine as well, you're much better off with what some call WW2
era machines.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

ATP

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I have a WW2 21" Super Service Cincinnati Bickford at work. 3 HP geared head
and MT4 spindle, power down feed. Cincinnati-Bickfords are still supported
by Giddings and Lewis- although I'm a little scared of finding out what the
parts cost. In a more reasonable size machine, but for a bit more than $200,
Clausing appears to be a good choice. I don't have one yet, so I can't say
from experience. It seems like they don't change the models much from year
to year. I have an old Gosiger which despite only having an MT1 spindle
weighs close to 600 pounds. It has leather belts and is a decent drill press
but lacks power due to an old 1/2 HP single phase motor which can be slowed
down or stalled way too easily. One of my next projects is to replace that
motor and the anemic 50 year old single phase 3/4 HP motor on my Heavy 10.