Forrest Chamberlain

Default Delta 28-299B Bandsaw, minor gloat (I think)

I went to the local Delta dealer the other day because I knew the Delta
rep was in town. I'd been trying to choose a bandsaw, and was deciding
between an American-made Delta 14", the Jet 16", and the Powermatic 14".
They had last year's American Delta (28-299B) on the floor--$850 with
riser block and fence included, minus 10% (they have 10% off all Delta
tools for the month of December--I may have to go pay another visit).
Anyway, I was chatting up the rep & hemming & hawing about the saw, so
he offered to throw in a mobile base free. That just about convinced
me, but I figured I should at least check the table for flat. Well, it
was clearly not flat, and as he was saying that of course he'd order me
a new one, I happened to look at the new Delta Chiwanese 14 incher next
to it with the bigger table. He saw me looking and asked if I'd like
him to replace the bent small table with a flat big one--that was
enough, bought the saw on the spot.

I've only had a little time to play...er...work with the saw at this
point, but so far I'm very happy with it. I don't have any vibration
issues as at least one poster here did--it passes the nickle test, even
on the mobile base. I can't say that I've stressed it at all, but it's
had no problem with anything I've thrown at it so far, and I've only
given it the most rudimentary of tune-ups and am using the blade that
came with it (gotta order some Timberwolf blades this weekend). The new
table arrived today, and I am a happy camper.

-Forrest

Bay Area Dave

I didn't even think the X-5's vibrated badly; just the 28-299A.

dave

David Binkowski wrote:

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

BillyBob

Anyone know the difference between a 28-299A and 28-299B???
BillyBob

. ..

David Binkowski wrote:

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

David Binkowski

I've had a chance to inspect both bandsaws intimately, and I own one of
them. I saw no substantial changes from the 299A and the X5 that would
change its vibration characteristics.

X5 = larger table, wrench knobs to adjust table, chute by bottom wheel
goes through base to back of unit for 4" hookup, quick tension release,
base design somewhat different, called a resilient motor mount (but still a
rigid motor mount in closed steel cabinet). Its the same 3450 RPM
contractor saw motor driving the double-size sheave (the pulley that the
belt hooks to, driving the lower wheel)... I say double size, because most
saws have a 1725 RPM motor driving a pulley thats half that size.
Originally
I thought this was the cause for the vibration but when "mounting" the motor
to a bench OUTSIDE the base, there was NO vibration. I literally eliminated
all doubt by connecting the saw to the motor by nothing but the belt.
I could balance a penny on the table. That is what led me to believe the
motor
itself (or pulley) was vibrating. But after receiving it, Delta said it was
perfect.
Nonetheless I had another identical motor and it was the same too...

I basically tossed the mobile base and put it on a heavy table I
constructed.
mortise & tennon, 2x4 stretchers, 4x4 cedar legs, and 3/4" plywood top.
Some people claimed just removing it from the mobile base was sufficient
to lower vibrations but I went all the way to making a stationary (and quite
heavy) table. If that didn't do it I was prepared to mount the motor to the
floor on a large wooden block separate from the base, and fix the base to
the wall behind it (so both would stay put and in line)

So I installed it on Linux...
"David Binkowski" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

Forrest Chamberlain

David Binkowski wrote:
Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Not at all. Like I said, it passed the nickle test no problem.

-Forrest

Bay Area Dave

the differences don't end there, guys...

dave

BillyBob wrote:

Thanks Forrest....
BillyBob

BillyBob wrote:

Anyone know the difference between a 28-299A and 28-299B???
BillyBob

om...

David Binkowski wrote:

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Bay Area Dave

if it was a Powermatic, it would pass the dime test too!

dave

Forrest Chamberlain wrote:

David Binkowski wrote:

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Not at all. Like I said, it passed the nickle test no problem.

-Forrest

David Binkowski

Mine's a Delta 299A, and I can balance a playing card on edge
while cutting 6x4 oak.

So I installed it on Linux...

Forrest Chamberlain wrote:

David Binkowski wrote:

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Not at all. Like I said, it passed the nickle test no problem.

-Forrest

Bay Area Dave

LMAO! Good one, David!

dave

David Binkowski wrote:

Mine's a Delta 299A, and I can balance a playing card on edge
while cutting 6x4 oak.

Forrest Chamberlain

Hmm, actually, they do, at least according to the Delta rep I talked to.
If you know something he did't, perhaps you'd could share to share
rather than teasing us with hints of your mysterious knowledge?

-Forrest

Bay Area Dave wrote:
the differences don't end there, guys...

dave

BillyBob wrote:

Thanks Forrest....
BillyBob

David Binkowski wrote:

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Forrest Chamberlain

Obviously I shouldn't post before coffee...that should have read:

Hmm, actually, they do, at least according to the Delta rep I talked to.
If you know something he didn't, perhaps you'd care to share rather

Bay Area Dave wrote:

the differences don't end there, guys...

dave

BillyBob wrote:

Thanks Forrest....
BillyBob

David Binkowski wrote:

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Greg G.

Forrest Chamberlain thus spake:

If you know something he didn't, perhaps you'd care to share rather
than teasing us with hints of your mysterious knowledge?

Nothing mysterious about it at all... ;-)

Greg G.
Swingman

Bay Area Dave wrote:

the differences don't end there, guys...

Just FYI, although it doesn't address your question about the differences
between the "A" and "B" designation, I believe BAD was referring to the sea
change after the older 28-299 model, without the letters.

Todd Stock wrote an interesting post back in February about the differences
in the 299 and 299A. It's re-posted below with full credit to Todd:

Todd Stock post, 02/03

You did get the best of the 14" saws, but in adding power to
the package, Delta made a cost engineering change that moved them in the
direction of the imports, quality-wise.

The problem with the new Delta 1.5 hp is that they upp'd the motor speed
from 1750 to 3450 (to keep the price point for the motor and drive train
identical to the old 28-299) and replaced the excellent balanced steel and
iron pulleys that were supplied with the old 3/4 and 1 hp saws with the
same crappy cast alloy sheaves that the Jets and other imports are using.
This drive train vibe is more noticeable than on the imports because speed
is doubled and power is higher on the new Deltas.

Junk the alloy sheave (the motor is likely a machined steel sheave and is
probably OK) and invest in a cast iron, balanced Browning sheave for the
driven shaft - about $28 from MSC. Make sure you get the proper bore
(3/4") and correct 4L pitch diameter (NOT the same as the outside
diameter).

Also - swap to a link belt. These are the fixes that Iturra recommends for
the Jet and other imports, and appears to be necessary for the new Delta
1.5 hp as well.

I hope Delta gets enough complaints to change the drivetrain back to a
balanced system - just one of the many things that justified a higher
price tag for the saw."

/Todd Stock

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/18/03

Bay Area Dave

actually, Greg, according to the local store there was another
improvement, that should be obvious to everyone who glances at a 299B,
and then looks at a 299A. Since you THINK that I'm wrong, I'm gonna let
you stew about it for a while longer...

dave

Greg wrote:

Forrest Chamberlain thus spake:

If you know something he didn't, perhaps you'd care to share rather
than teasing us with hints of your mysterious knowledge?

Nothing mysterious about it at all... ;-)

Greg G.

Greg G.

Bay Area Dave thus spake:

actually, Greg, according to the local store there was another
improvement, that should be obvious to everyone who glances at a 299B,
and then looks at a 299A. Since you THINK that I'm wrong, I'm gonna let
you stew about it for a while longer...

Boy, you're easy... g
But I won't stew, I'm not in the market for one.

Happy Holidays!

Greg G.
Bay Area Dave

but I thought the suspense was killing you!

dave

Greg wrote:

Bay Area Dave thus spake:

actually, Greg, according to the local store there was another
improvement, that should be obvious to everyone who glances at a 299B,
and then looks at a 299A. Since you THINK that I'm wrong, I'm gonna let
you stew about it for a while longer...

Boy, you're easy... g
But I won't stew, I'm not in the market for one.

Happy Holidays!

Greg G.

Rich

Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
Since you THINK that I'm wrong, I'm gonna let
you stew about it for a while longer...

dave

who gives a **** about anything you say other than yourself, or
whatever identity you're currently using. Your just a pussy hiding
behind a modem!