Alex

Default Lubricating Delta DP 350 Drill Press

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly lubrication.
Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks
Groggy

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:24:15 GMT, Alex
wrote:

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly lubrication.
Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks

The neighbours will ask if you want to sell it, but other than that I
wouldn't worry about it. It means under continuous use IMO, not idle
time.

Greg
GTO69RA4

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly
lubrication.
Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks

I'd think twice before buying one of those. The industrial variable speed setup
didn't translate well into a bottom-rung drill press, and it doesn't give you a
wider speed range than the normal belt drive. Unless you really need an
infinite range, skip it.

GTO(John)

wrote:

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly lubrication.
Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks

no problem. lube it before you use it next.

for long term storage, like years, open it up and apply heavy grease
to the shiny metal parts.
stoutman

Excellent DP. I have had it for 1-year and no problems. I also use it with
the mortise attachment for mortises.

"The industrial variable speed setup didn't translate well into a
bottom-rung drill press"

What??

"and it doesn't give you a wider speed range than the normal belt drive."

DP350 ranges from 500 to 3100 rpm. When would you have an application that
would require a speed outside of this range?

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly
lubrication.
Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks

I'd think twice before buying one of those. The industrial variable speed
setup
didn't translate well into a bottom-rung drill press, and it doesn't give
you a
wider speed range than the normal belt drive. Unless you really need an
infinite range, skip it.

GTO(John)

GTO69RA4

Excellent DP. I have had it for 1-year and no problems. I also use it with
the mortise attachment for mortises.

"The industrial variable speed setup didn't translate well into a
bottom-rung drill press"

What??

Putting a complicated system like that on a machine that needs to be low priced
was a stretch. You might love yours, but I've heard of nothing but trouble with
these things. Maybe they've improved it.

For a production shop that actually needs a variable speed drill press, they
work out really well on the $800 models that are a good, time-tested design.

"and it doesn't give you a wider speed range than the normal belt drive."

DP350 ranges from 500 to 3100 rpm. When would you have an application that
would require a speed outside of this range?

500 RPM is a very high low speed. Usually folks outgrow that pretty soon.
That's why there's a big interest in jackshaft modifications for older DPs
without a low speed range. Too high for a lot of metal work and some larger
wood bits or hole saws. Good drill presses go down to somewhere in the 100-200
range. If you're going to spend $200 on a drill press, I'd rather have a bigger
machine with a usable speed range instead of a benchtop with a variable speed
system.

GTO(John)
TeamCasa

"Alex" Said:
I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press.
Here is my concern:
according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly
lubrication.
Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

Alex, I have the Delta 17-968 variable speed DP for a few years. I love it.
The varaible speed allows you to use diffrent bits at the correct speed
simple. The DP350 should serve you well.

Dave

Delta Drill Press Safety Switch firstjois Woodworking 17 September 5th 04 07:20 PM
Is Drill Doctor worth the price???? Harry Conover Metalworking 33 April 6th 04 02:41 PM
Old Delta drill press part?? gattman Metalworking 4 March 28th 04 09:41 PM
Delta 12" Benchtop Drill Press RWS Woodworking 1 December 24th 03 05:21 AM