gattman

Default Old Delta drill press part??

I have an old (~1960), heavy duty, 17" variable speed Delta drill
press. It looks to be fairly low mileage, probably because the
variable speed pulley mounted on the motor has a bad wobble. The
pulley assembly is not longer avaible. It is a model 17-600 drill
press, with a peculiar variable pulley set up that does not use the
typical heavy spring. Does anybody have any ideas about where to find
a used part, or has anybody had experience with repairing these
puppies? Basically the part of the sheave that has a wobble was
pinned onto a splined shaft that attaches to the motor. It looks like
the splines had a little to much slop right at the factory, and when
they pinned it, the pully was not perfectly perpendicular to the
spined shaft. My first choice is to find a replacement part . . . any
help is appreciated!!
Bob Powell

"gattman" wrote in message
om...
I have an old (~1960), heavy duty, 17" variable speed Delta drill
press. It looks to be fairly low mileage, probably because the
variable speed pulley mounted on the motor has a bad wobble. The
pulley assembly is not longer avaible. It is a model 17-600 drill
press, with a peculiar variable pulley set up that does not use the
typical heavy spring. Does anybody have any ideas about where to find
a used part, or has anybody had experience with repairing these
puppies? Basically the part of the sheave that has a wobble was
pinned onto a splined shaft that attaches to the motor. It looks like
the splines had a little to much slop right at the factory, and when
they pinned it, the pully was not perfectly perpendicular to the
spined shaft. My first choice is to find a replacement part . . . any
help is appreciated!!

The part would cost more than the machine is worth, though you'd have a nice
machine when done. In the same position, I'd just convert it to a
step-pulley drive. Store-bought or shop-made pulleys depending on your
situation.

I have a 17-600 of similar vintage with 5-step pulleys on the motor and
spindle. Speed range is 250 to 4000 rpm. It's a great woodworking drill
press but lacks the low speed or torque to use bits much over 3/8" in steel.
Really needs an intermediate pulley for additional reduction.

Martin H. Eastburn

gattman wrote:
I have an old (~1960), heavy duty, 17" variable speed Delta drill
press. It looks to be fairly low mileage, probably because the
variable speed pulley mounted on the motor has a bad wobble. The
pulley assembly is not longer avaible. It is a model 17-600 drill
press, with a peculiar variable pulley set up that does not use the
typical heavy spring. Does anybody have any ideas about where to find
a used part, or has anybody had experience with repairing these
puppies? Basically the part of the sheave that has a wobble was
pinned onto a splined shaft that attaches to the motor. It looks like
the splines had a little to much slop right at the factory, and when
they pinned it, the pully was not perfectly perpendicular to the
spined shaft. My first choice is to find a replacement part . . . any
help is appreciated!!

Hum - ~1960 is old ? - My bench one was a 1935 IIRC.
I would think you can find a good steel one from most machine part company.
MSC or others. Likely local. Be wary of the cast ones - they might
come apart under heavy loads. Depends on the quality.

Very likely the pulley isn't the issue, the motor shaft is.
I bet the motor needs new ball bearings.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer