Larry Webb

Default Need help identifying old Delta Drill Press & need chuck key

I was recently given an old Delta Drill press (see photo at address
below). The serial # is 49-6326, anyone know the model and approximate
year of manufacture. It's missing the chuck key and it seems to be an
odd size (5/16ths pilot). Does anyone know a source for this part or
should I get a new chuck - present one works but is a little rusty - I'm
not sure how to remove it.

http://www.rovatune.com/deltapress2.jpg

Thanks for your time

Larry Webb

Roy

I can't say what key it takes as I have replace mine a while back. If
your looking for a new chuck justs get one that fits a 33JT spindle. I
have had two of those drillp presses in my lifetime. One was a floor
model that got stolen, and the other was a bench that I made into a
floor model, and added a jackshaft. They are great machines, and a new
Jacobs or Rohm chuck makes it into an even better machine. Its a
little on the fast side for drilling steels etc with larger bits, as
its lowest speed is about 550 rpm, and could really benefit from being
slowed down.

I believe you could still get a replacement key as they seem to be
pretty standard, but you can get a new chuck on ebay for under $20.00
of good quality.

Whata ever you do, do not pry on the chuck on the spindle to remove
it. The spindles are soft and will bend. Best way to remove it is to
drill a hole of about1/4" in the center of the chuck facing inside it
with the jaws wide open. Its a small section anbout 3/16" or less
thick you will go through, and then you will hit a cavity, before it
hits the end of the spindle itself. Support the spindle w/ chuck in a
vise so the spindle is free and not secured, but just the back of the
chuck is resting on the vise jaws, and use a 1/4" punch placed in the
hole you drilled and hit it with a hammer. It should pop right off.
You can also buy or make a pair of wedges..........but drilling the
hole is quick, easy and costs nothing but a few minutes time.

These machines were made in the late 40's to about late 60's in this
style. Not much changed thru the years except the head castings and
guards, they all use the same rack, quill, spindle and bearings etc.
Very durable machine. Exact matchine pulleys are hard to find, so make
sure your belts are in good shape and tight so you don';t ruin or wear
out a pulley.

To remove spindel and chuck assembly, lower quill all the way to the
bottom, and lock in place with quill lock. Rotate the chuck by hand
until the collar on the top of the quill has the set screw exposed to
the front. Hold on the bottom of the spindle assembly with one hand
and loosen the collar, and the spindle will drop right on out. There
are two dogs on the bottom of this collar, so make sure you get them
in the recess in the quill top when you reassemble the thing. On
reassembly, put spindle and chuck assembly in quill and make sure the
drive pin on the bottom goes in the slot. Position table with a block
of wood under the spindle snug, and lock in place. Use a piece of alum
stock or wood to put some downward pressure on the locking colar and
tighten the setscrew. This eliminates any axial play in the spindle to
quill assembly. Thats it, easy to do.

Parts do show up on ebay from time to time, and some parts from newer
machines will fit but some are just hard to find.

Check out my website for adding a jackshaft. Better yet is a DC motor
with speed control of about 1 hp or so. The jack shaft project is on
mthe projects page and listed as Drill Press Jackshaft
Regards

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:05:31 GMT, Larry Webb
wrote:

===I was recently given an old Delta Drill press (see photo at address
===below). The serial # is 49-6326, anyone know the model and approximate
===year of manufacture. It's missing the chuck key and it seems to be an
===odd size (5/16ths pilot). Does anyone know a source for this part or
===should I get a new chuck - present one works but is a little rusty - I'm
===not sure how to remove it.
===
===http://www.rovatune.com/deltapress2.jpg
===
===Thanks for your time
===
===Larry Webb

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
George Willer

Larry,

I have four of those drill presses scattered around the shop. I got them
all used, but I think they are late forties or early fifties vintage. The
chucks are Jacobs 6A, but I forget how they are mounted. What you really
want to know...look for a Jacobs #3 key.

George Willer

"Larry Webb" wrote in message
I was recently given an old Delta Drill press (see photo at address
below). The serial # is 49-6326, anyone know the model and approximate
year of manufacture. It's missing the chuck key and it seems to be an
odd size (5/16ths pilot). Does anyone know a source for this part or
should I get a new chuck - present one works but is a little rusty - I'm
not sure how to remove it.

http://www.rovatune.com/deltapress2.jpg

Thanks for your time

Larry Webb

Gerald Miller

wrote:

I was recently given an old Delta Drill press (see photo at address
below). The serial # is 49-6326, anyone know the model and approximate
year of manufacture. It's missing the chuck key and it seems to be an
odd size (5/16ths pilot). Does anyone know a source for this part or
should I get a new chuck - present one works but is a little rusty - I'm
not sure how to remove it.

http://www.rovatune.com/deltapress2.jpg

Thanks for your time

Larry Webb

Jacobs K-3 has 5/16 pilot.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
GTO69RA4

Call up Delta and they'll tell you the date and model, plus mail you the
manuals.

K3 key, as used on JT6 and JT33 chucks should fit. You chuck is pressed onto a
male taper on end of the spindle. You buy a set of small Jacobs wedges and
force it off with a c-clamp or vise.

GTO(John)

I was recently given an old Delta Drill press (see photo at address
below). The serial # is 49-6326, anyone know the model and approximate
year of manufacture. It's missing the chuck key and it seems to be an
odd size (5/16ths pilot). Does anyone know a source for this part or
should I get a new chuck - present one works but is a little rusty - I'm
not sure how to remove it.

http://www.rovatune.com/deltapress2.jpg

Thanks for your time

Larry Webb

Uncle Lucky

This is an interesting machine in that the spindle has only two splines and a
collar holds it in place. Delta designed the machine to take interchangable
spindles for various purposes such as drilling with chuck, #2 morse shanked
drills, router bit adapter, etc.
It's a 14" machine and quill has the drilling depth scale engraved on the front
with a nifty adjustable pointer, no?
Interesting bit of DP design here...
Much nicer than the modern import crap.
Health & Peace,