firstjois

Default Delta Drill Press Safety Switch

Hi Folks,

Ever seen a Delta safety switch locked into the "on" position? Well, this
one is. I'd drilled 3/16" x 1/2" holes into 60 3x5" pieces of pine and
when I tried to turn the drill press off the switch wouldn't budge, I had
to unplug the machine to turn it off. The switch is one of those red
safety kinds that can be locked by pulling the end off. Even unplugged
the switch could not be moved. Now what do I do? Bigger hammer?

Thanks,
Josie

firstjois

Thank you, John, I'll try the blast of compressed air and see how that
goes, unplygging the little red plug didn't do a thing.

Frank, can you tell me how you got the stuck switch out? It seems like it
should be a plastic insert over the "real" off and on switch and pop off
with a screw driver.

Thanks,
Josie

wrote:
I had the same problem with the switch on my Delta 6" Planer. It
would stick in the on position and I had to pull the plug.
I had to but a new one, I think it was around $25.00!
Frank

John Santos wrote:

In article ,
says...
Hi Folks,

Ever seen a Delta safety switch locked into the "on" position?
Well, this one is. I'd drilled 3/16" x 1/2" holes into 60 3x5"
pieces of pine and when I tried to turn the drill press off the
switch wouldn't budge, I had to unplug the machine to turn it off.
The switch is one of those red safety kinds that can be locked by
pulling the end off. Even unplugged the switch could not be
moved. Now what do I do? Bigger hammer?

Thanks,
Josie

Maybe irrelevant, but I recently bought a Delta 10" benchtop DP.
The instructions say you can turn it off with the little red tab
removed, but you can't turn it back on again. I tested it, and it
seemed to be working as advertised.

Maybe yours got packed full of sawdust?

I got a can of compressed air at MicroCenter for cleaning out
computers. It might work. It has a little red tube (like the one
on a can of WD40) for directing the air. I think you can get them
at any good computer store.

(If you have an air compressor, I'd try that first.)

--
John

Ron

Had a Delta deluxe jointer with a similar problmem. Same red safety
switch. Went to turn it off one day and it didn't stop. Switch flipped
back and forth just fine but with no resistance and the blades never
stopped. Had to unplug it. Tried different red safety inserts and
nothing worked. Never did anything about it b/c I sold it, and let the
new owner know all about the switch.

"firstjois" wrote in message ...
Hi Folks,

Ever seen a Delta safety switch locked into the "on" position? Well, this
one is. I'd drilled 3/16" x 1/2" holes into 60 3x5" pieces of pine and
when I tried to turn the drill press off the switch wouldn't budge, I had
to unplug the machine to turn it off. The switch is one of those red
safety kinds that can be locked by pulling the end off. Even unplugged
the switch could not be moved. Now what do I do? Bigger hammer?

Thanks,
Josie

firstjois

wrote:
I had the same problem with the switch on my Delta 6" Planer. It
would stick in the on position and I had to pull the plug.
I had to but a new one, I think it was around $25.00!
Frank

[snip]

Yikes! to the $25 but I think that is going to be it. I know as much about
electrical stuff as a house cat but a brass-looking bar has crud on it that
may have been glue and the glue failed so the brass-looking bar was
unattached and had gotten jammed in the switch. Nice and dangerous, I
think.

Thanks!

Jois

Dave

If it is a consistent problem, I am a little surprised that Delta hasn't
had some kind of safety recall. The way you report it failing sounds a
little dangerous.

Dave

om...

"firstjois" wrote in message

Hi Folks,

Ever seen a Delta safety switch locked into the "on" position? Well,

this
one is. I'd drilled 3/16" x 1/2" holes into 60 3x5" pieces of pine and
when I tried to turn the drill press off the switch wouldn't budge, I

had
to unplug the machine to turn it off. The switch is one of those red
safety kinds that can be locked by pulling the end off. Even unplugged
the switch could not be moved. Now what do I do? Bigger hammer?

Thanks,
Josie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave" wrote in message
If it is a consistent problem, I am a little surprised that Delta
hasn't
had some kind of safety recall. The way you report it failing sounds a
little dangerous.

Dave

You're right they should. We know of two instances out of 20,000,000 tools.
That justifies replacing them all. Shame you are in Canada, Ralph Nader is
running for president and you can't vote for him.

I had a problem posting... Hope this goes though

I think it was a push in type with plastic locks. If you can't get behind
it, you will have to pry it out. The new one just pushes in. I got mine at a
local tool repair shop in Raleigh
Frank

John Santos wrote:

[...]

I never thought about calling Delta, that could be a real safety hazard.
I had problems with Delta when I first got the planer. It a 6" the locking
handle for the infeed was bent, the set screw to set the 45deg detent was
buggered up and I couldn't get it out with SAE or metric allen's. There was a
"nick" in one of the blades. After back and forth, I got some satisfaction.
After that, I just and went and bought a new switch.
One more thing on the planer, When I changed the blades, I found the cutter
head had a height difference from front to back (using a dial indicator) I
think about 0.06" and there are no adjustments. I compesated with the blades.
seems to be OK
Frank

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
If it is a consistent problem, I am a little surprised that Delta
hasn't
had some kind of safety recall. The way you report it failing sounds a
little dangerous.

Dave

You're right they should. We know of two instances out of 20,000,000 tools.
That justifies replacing them all. Shame you are in Canada, Ralph Nader is
running for president and you can't vote for him.

Tom Kearney

Josie -

I had the same problem a few years ago (maybe two?). I called Delta to
order/pay for a replacement switch, and they sent me a new one for FREE.
You might try calling them before ordering one from someplace else....

Tom Kearney

John Santos wrote:

[...]

Dave

Well, with the recently added post we know of three cases among the tiny
minority of Delta owners who send messages on this bulletin board. Therefore
I would argue the issue may be much larger than you imply. Also the fact
that delta is providing a replacement switch for free is interesting. Their
statistics may be much more revealing, though I doubt they would be
interested in sharing.

Your political conclusion that I believe a recall is warranted is going
a little over the top. However with the legal climate in the US it might be
financially safer for a company to limit potential legal damages to the
future.

Canadians are much less inclined to call their lawyer when problems
happen (and usually less successful when they do).

Dave

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Dave" wrote in message
If it is a consistent problem, I am a little surprised that Delta
hasn't
had some kind of safety recall. The way you report it failing sounds a
little dangerous.

Dave

You're right they should. We know of two instances out of 20,000,000

tools.
That justifies replacing them all. Shame you are in Canada, Ralph Nader

is
running for president and you can't vote for him.

skeezics

wrote:
I had the same problem with the switch on my Delta 6" Planer. It
would stick in the on position and I had to pull the plug.
I had to but a new one, I think it was around $25.00!
Frank

[snip]

Yikes! to the $25 but I think that is going to be it. I know as much about
electrical stuff as a house cat but a brass-looking bar has crud on it that
may have been glue and the glue failed so the brass-looking bar was
unattached and had gotten jammed in the switch. Nice and dangerous, I
think.

Thanks!

Jois

ace hardware site has them for 10 dollars and change plus shipping.
all in all around 16.50 ish.
www.acehardware.com take the cover off
with the switch inside. the switch is held in the cover by plastic
tabs. depress the tabs to remove it. snap the new one in and
reassemble. just did this to a chisel mortiser i picked up cheep.
[drive by] lol...

Item: 3135878
Quantity: 1 @ $ 10.49
Shipping Method: Standard Ground
Delivered within 8-12 full business days.

Sub-Total: $ 10.49
Sales Tax: $ 1.07
Shipping: $ 4.98
--------------------------
Order Total: $ 16.54
--------------------------

/..

By Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:50:22 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
decided to post " Delta Drill Press Safety Switch" to
rec.woodworking:

"Dave" wrote in message
If it is a consistent problem, I am a little surprised that Delta
hasn't
had some kind of safety recall. The way you report it failing sounds a
little dangerous.

Dave

You're right they should. We know of two instances out of 20,000,000 tools.
That justifies replacing them all. Shame you are in Canada, Ralph Nader is
running for president and you can't vote for him.

Current thinking in the current party is that, more and more, manufacturers
shouldn't have to announce safety related issues to consumers. In fact,
legislation to this effect is being debated or has recently passed. What I
don't understand is why this can be thought to ultimately benefit
consumers? Certainly it reduces costs for manufacturers which then _could_
reduce retail prices. But should this be at the cost of fostering unsafe
products -- such as tires, motors, drugs, foods, machinery and equipment?
Fostering unsafe services such as medical care?

Reducing product safety reporting requirements and liability for dangerous
products really seems like an attempt at shifting social policy rather than
purely economic policy. The effect is to reduce people's health and
longevity. Perhaps the thinking is that there are too many plates on the
table, in general?

So: reduce requirements that products are safe. Reduce requirements that
manufacturers of unsafe products report such issues, and fix or recall
unsafe products and otherwise bear responsibility for their mistakes.

Sounds stupid.

Sounds antisocial.

BTW, why would Delta use an unsafe switch? (Cheaper? Bad planning? Poor
engineering? Cost-benefit? -- fingers vs. profit?)

In a "market economy", market forces alone _can_ be responsible for
perfecting the market _only_ with perfect communication and universal
knowledge. (But that doesn't happen in the real world.) You should know
_all_ benefits and hazards and other factors of competitive offerings;
otherwise, unlike in a theoretically "pure market", you're generally
screwed with most decisions. WAIT, that seems like reality as I know it.
Few, if any, players in any market use any form of altruism, or benefit
provided beyond that required, as a competitive tool unless a force outside
the market (regulation, public policy) shapes that market. So, best
practices will include 2 in 1,000 unsafe parts if there is no external
pressure to prevent this.

Really, you should read "Unsafe at Any Speed", then "Wheels" by Alex Haley,
and follow up with "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. Maybe "Lord of the
Flies" might shed a little light too!

HTH,

/ts

Morris Dovey

/.. wrote:

So: reduce requirements that products are safe. Reduce
requirements that manufacturers of unsafe products report such
issues, and fix or recall unsafe products and otherwise bear
responsibility for their mistakes.

snip

Really, you should read "Unsafe at Any Speed", then "Wheels"
by Alex Haley, and follow up with "The Jungle" by Upton
Sinclair. Maybe "Lord of the Flies" might shed a little light
too!

And for a rather broader grasp of the mentalities involved, you
might consider reading "Fountainhead", and "Atlas Shrugged".

[Embedded here is the clearest rationale I've ever found for the
55 MPH speed limit]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA