Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potatoes storage - OT but maybe not

I have been buying potatoes from Morrisons and Tesco's over the last three or four years or so. Various ones, usually their own brand, wonky ones and sometimes Albert Bartlett ( which are more expensive but my favourites in may ways). The problem is that none of the store well. They sprout after a week.

I cant recall having had this problem in the past.

Now I am thinking of going back to getting a large 56lb bag from the local farmer who has set up business from his low larder/tractor in his field entrance close to the road where I live. I used to get large bags of potatoes from a farm a few years ago but the old lady who ran the farm passed away and the family stopped selling potatoes by the barn door.

The point....
Now I need somewhere to store a big bag of potatoes. I used to use a pantry in the kitchen but that went in re modelling a couple of years ago when I had a new freezer which I couldnt get in the kitchen and I was no longer using the pantry.

So, I need a store. Could I use one of those KeterBox type plastic storage boxes/ mini shed things that you can buy? Would it do the job? I am thinking of putting it on the small paved area outside my kitchen door ( and bringing in small amounts to store in a cupboard in the kitchen for convenience ( and not having to go out in the rain etc.).

Alternatively can someone suggest an alternative form of dry outside store ( smallish) I could use?

As an aside, what is up with potatoes from supermarkets that they sprout so quickly these days?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 10:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
was thinking very hard :
So, I need a store. Could I use one of those KeterBox type plastic
storage boxes/ mini shed things that you can buy?* Would it do the
job?* I am thinking of putting it on the small paved area outside my
kitchen door ( and bringing in small amounts to store in a cupboard in
the kitchen for convenience ( and not having to go out in the rain etc.).

We often buy them by the 56lb bag, but I just call the local farm shop
and they will deliver for £2 per delivery, so I buy spuds and bulk bags
of dog dried biscuit. Its not worth getting the car and and making the
trip for the £2 delivery I could save.

To keep, potatoes need a cool dark place to store them. I have a pantry
which is cool, with no windows and plenty of masonry to keep the
temperature down. I doubt a shed or shelter would work well, because of
the rapid temperature variations.

When I lived in the Norfolk borderlands, the potato farmers used to keep
back their crops and preserve them in Potato Graves. As a casual
observer it looked to me as if they dug a long trench with a mechanical
digger, lined it with black plastic, poured the potatoes in and covered
it over with soil again. Although the plastic might have been over the
top of the potatoes before the soil - I'm not sure. They looked like
Iron-Age Long Barrows when they were finished but by doing this they
were able to deliver potatoes in good condition all through the winter
season.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 11:34, Jethro_uk wrote:
There was a thread about this recently. Clamps were suggested and
discussed ... which was an education. Good knowledge in case we need to

I tried it once, about 30 years back. It was about 50% successful, ie
about half of the potatoes were usable. I think I probably didn't cover
them enough.

Around the same time, I tried growing some in a container to harvest
during the winter. The ones for Xmas were fine, in fact excellent. The
later ones were more variable. We were discussing trying it again just
recently- we've been more active in the greenhouse in recent years than
the open veg plot but have some crops on the go at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 11:40, wrote:
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 11:18:34 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2019 10:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
was thinking very hard :
So, I need a store. Could I use one of those KeterBox type plastic
storage boxes/ mini shed things that you can buy?Â* Would it do the
job?Â* I am thinking of putting it on the small paved area outside my
kitchen door ( and bringing in small amounts to store in a cupboard in
the kitchen for convenience ( and not having to go out in the rain etc.).

We often buy them by the 56lb bag, but I just call the local farm shop
and they will deliver for £2 per delivery, so I buy spuds and bulk bags
of dog dried biscuit. Its not worth getting the car and and making the
trip for the £2 delivery I could save.

To keep, potatoes need a cool dark place to store them. I have a pantry
which is cool, with no windows and plenty of masonry to keep the
temperature down. I doubt a shed or shelter would work well, because of
the rapid temperature variations.

freezing potatoes ruins them
Fridge os good until winter, then unheated pantry or cellar

I dont have a pantry or a cellar. Can you suggest an alternative?

Well you dont have heating either do you?

cover em with a load of builders sand outside...

Just to stop them freezing and keep them dark

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 03:40:59 -0700, aprilsweetheartrose wrote:

I dont have a pantry or a cellar. Can you suggest an alternative?

We keep ours in a kitchen cupboard, in a black bin bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 11:40, wrote:
[...]

Do you have a garage with a concrete floor? You could try storing them
in a paper sack and putting them there. Our garage seems to stay cool
even in the summer, despite housing the CH boiler and couple of freezers
and being integral to the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
When I lived in the Norfolk borderlands, the potato farmers used to keep
back their crops and preserve them in Potato Graves.

aka "clamps"

That's what I'd call them too.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 12:26, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 11:59:27 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

On 15/09/2019 11:34, Jethro_uk wrote:
There was a thread about this recently. Clamps were suggested and
discussed ... which was an education. Good knowledge in case we need to

I tried it once, about 30 years back. It was about 50% successful, ie
about half of the potatoes were usable. I think I probably didn't cover
them enough.

As with most things we are currently forgetting at a rate of knots,
there's a lot more to it than just reading the wiki It's real man-and-
boy stuff

Around that time I attended some courses locally and learned a number of
things- killing a chicken and preparing for the table, basics of pig
keeping (even castrated a few), ....

Around the same time, I tried growing some in a container to harvest
during the winter. The ones for Xmas were fine, in fact excellent. The
later ones were more variable. We were discussing trying it again just
recently- we've been more active in the greenhouse in recent years than
the open veg plot but have some crops on the go at the moment.

In general, farming is ****ing hard work. My Dad grew up in a more rural
part of Sicily, and decided very early on it was easier to repair and
then hire out agricultural vehicles than till land that you didn't even
own.

Nothing I have seen in my life so far has suggested he was wrong. Farming
is ****ing hard work (even with the modern age) and the Brexit ********
brigade who blithely assume we can all go back to agrarian self
sufficiency are really talking out of their arses. When they say "we
could produce our own food" it's clear they do so with the express
intention that it's *other people* that produce the food, etc.

Still, as I said upthread, it's a good skill to at least be aware of, if
not practised to perfection.

Farming today is nothing like it was even 50 years ago. It is an
industry now. You couldn't make a living on a small bit of land unless
you had a niche market- even then you'd be vulnerable. We (as a country)
could grow much more, that is certain, the land is there. I'm no tree
hugger but importing food we could grow here makes little sense. We've
got used to having things out of season. That is less common in in, say,
France, even their supermarkets tend to follow the seasons when it comes
to veg etc. For example- you can get asparagus all year round in the UK
but only when it is in season in France (unless you can stand the tinned
stuff). Ditto fresh peas- in pods that is- in season a delight in France.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 14:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:24:25 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

Farming today is nothing like it was even 50 years ago. It is an
industry now.

It's been an "industry" since the industrial revolution ... seed drills,
mechanical harvesting and ploughing etc.

Well there was a lot of hand work still up till WWII
And there still is, even if its repairing the machines

We temd to thibk of agriculture as grwoing screals or potatoes, but
other food needs a lot of hand work - animal husbandry, market gardening
fruit and the like is far more labour intensive

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 14:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:24:25 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

Farming today is nothing like it was even 50 years ago. It is an
industry now.

It's been an "industry" since the industrial revolution ... seed drills,
mechanical harvesting and ploughing etc.

We can debate terminology but it is rather pointless- those are examples
of mechanisation on a small scale (in terms of individual tasks). I was
thinking more of small farms being subsumed, huge areas given over to
single crops, massive herds, ...

Even now, when people think their eggs come from happy chickens, they'd
get a shock if they visited an egg production plant - and I mean one
considered to be best in terms of care etc. No, I'm not a veggie etc. I
happily eat eggs, meat (in moderation- more from choice than morals
etc), most things in fact.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
[...]

Store them in your cauldron?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 5:15:31 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
[...]

coolbox? See if there is one that wont let rain in.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marko-Insul...fsclp_pl_dp_13
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

The problem appears to be that they keep them in cold storage
and then when they put them on the display in the store, the
potatoes are are room temperature when you buy them and its
that temperature change that sees them sprout in a week or two.

The evidence for that is that when I buy the potatoes as soon
as the greengrocer opens firs thing in the morning, you can
feel that the ones just put at the top of the display are much
colder than the ones further down the display towards the front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
When I lived in the Norfolk borderlands, the potato farmers used to keep
back their crops and preserve them in Potato Graves.

aka "clamps"

That's what I'd call them too.

See e.g. (although I saw it on the same minor freesat channel
as the brick wall one)

Storing Vegetables Outdoors (Original), 1941

http://collections-search.bfi.org.uk...orks/150007246

I don't think you can watch from the bfi site though :-(

#Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 06:53:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The problem

Your problem is that you cantankerous senile asshole got nobody in real life
to talk to!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 21:53, Rod Speed wrote:

The problem appears to be that they keep them in cold storage
and then when they put them on the display in the store, the

In addition to comment on temperature - it is daylight that encourage
potatoes to sprout. Keep the cool, dry and in the dark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

That varys with the type of farming. Hasnt changed
a lot with wheat growing, cattle or sheep or pigs or
apples, potatoes, onions etc.

It is an industry now.

It was then too. By far the biggest chicken operation
in the entire southern hemisphere is just down the
road and even in the 60s, the stench from the chook
**** as you drove down the road to Melbourne was
breath taking as it went past the sheds.

You couldn't make a living on a small bit of land unless you had a niche
market- even then you'd be vulnerable.

Cannabis was very profitable here, and still is.

We (as a country) could grow much more, that is certain, the land is
there.

Yes, but it makes more sense to import the food from much
more efficient large scale operations outside the UK now.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/...e65?width=1024

I'm no tree hugger but importing food we could grow here makes little
sense.

It does when its done much more efficiently elsewhere.

Lamb is done much more efficiently in NZ than in the UK.
Wheat in spades in Australia etc. Wine growing in spades.

We've got used to having things out of season. That is less common in in,
say, France, even their supermarkets tend to follow the seasons when it
comes to veg etc.

But theirs is the epitome of very inefficient
agriculture made possible by the CAP which
sees much higher prices for the end users.

For example- you can get asparagus all year round in the UK but only when
it is in season in France (unless you can stand the tinned stuff). Ditto
fresh peas- in pods that is- in season a delight in France.

But hardly anyone else bothers with peas in pods anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
[...]

Those end up with the average temperature inside in days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 9:53:56 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That figures, but the cupboard they are in is cool and dark and they are in a cardboard box as well - but still they sprout. maybe its processing , like washing? or are they just older than they should be? I dont know.

I recently took some potatoes from my garden put them in there and six weeks later, they are still fine. Come to the end of them now. hence I need to find a source of potatoes.

I have an outside toilet ( brick built proper garden toilet from when my place was a market garden and people worked on it and needed facilities). It was called a " garden toilet" when I bought the bungalow. We dont use the toilet but it is working should we need it ( water turned off in case of leaks etc.) . It has a load of OH's stuff in it - like step ladders and I dont know what. Its concrete on the floor. Dry and close to the house . I am toying with asking OH to move out so I can have that for a bag of potatoes. Its the only place I have like that. There is an old preparation room/shed/store/ concrete brick/block built but Oh has that as a workshop /shed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
[...]

They would only need to keep frost off. I keep mine in a shed under whatever insulation I have lying around and they are fine. The cool box is a small model of my shed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(
[...]

Thats because they had a day or so at room temp in the supermarket.
That what got the potatoes out of their hibernation and to sprout later.

maybe its processing , like washing?

Nope, you get the same result with unwashed spuds.

or are they just older than they should be?

Nope, the problem is the time at room temp after coming from the cool store.

I dont know.

I recently took some potatoes from my garden put them in there

In the soil ?

and six weeks later, they are still fine. Come to the end
of them now. hence I need to find a source of potatoes.

I have an outside toilet ( brick built proper garden toilet from
when my place was a market garden and people worked on
it and needed facilities). It was called a " garden toilet" when
I bought the bungalow. We dont use the toilet but it is working
should we need it ( water turned off in case of leaks etc.) . It has
a load of OH's stuff in it - like step ladders and I dont know what.
Its concrete on the floor. Dry and close to the house . I am toying
with asking OH to move out so I can have that for a bag of potatoes.

Didnt realise you made him 'live' in there. Bit unkind |-(

Its the only place I have like that.

Yeah, worth trying to see if its cool enough. Maybe not in summer.

There is an old preparation room/shed/store/ concrete brick/block
built but Oh has that as a workshop /shed.

You could let him live in that instead of the toilet |-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 September 2019 10:37:00 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Some potatoes are/were sprayed with a chemical to stop sprouting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 13:25:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

[...]

Nobody mentioned any temperature, senile Ozzie pest!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 16:50:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The evidence for that is that when I buy the potatoes as soon
as the greengrocer opens firs thing in the morning, you can
feel that the ones just put at the top of the display are much
colder than the ones further down the display towards the front.

That figures, but the cupboard they are in is cool and dark and
they are in a cardboard box as well - but still they sprout.

That¢s because

Trust that Mr Know-it-all ALWAYS has ALL the answers ...and I mean REALLY
always! LMAO

FLUSH the rest of your usual senile bull**** unread

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 09:51:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Farming today is nothing like it was even 50 years ago.

That varys with the type of farming. Hasn¢t changed

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane, 85-year-old, senile
cretin? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
[...]

Not going to work in the summer.

I keep mine in a shed under whatever insulation I have lying around
and they are fine. The cool box is a small model of my shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 18:29:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Those end up with the average temperature inside in days.

They would only need to keep frost off.

Not going to work in the summer.

Now ALSO an expert in potato storage, senile Rodent? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 12:51:25 PM UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
On 15/09/2019 11:40, wrote:
[...]

I once grew a lot of poatatoes in the vegetable garden we had. Made slatted wooden crates to store them. Put them in the back of the garage. Rats got into them and destroyed a lot of them. I gave up after that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You want something that keeps the spuds cool and in darkness and doesnt
allow the temperature to vary to much to the extremes.
An old non functioning chest deep freeze can have a second life as
insulated storage box for potatoes ideally inside a suitable shed .

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
[...]

I blame global warming.

See if you can get a cheap secondhand wine chiller fridge, rip out all
the wine stands and put the sack of spuds in that. That'll stop 'em
sprouting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2019 14:56, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
I have been buying potatoes from Morrisons and Tesco's over the last
three or four years or so.Â* Various ones, usually their own brand,
wonky ones and sometimes Albert Bartlett ( which are more expensive
but my favourites in may ways). The problem is that none of the store
well. They sprout after a week.

I cant recall having had this problem in the past.

Now I am thinking of going back to getting a largeÂ* 56lb bag from the
local farmer who has set up business from his low larder/tractor in
his field entrance close to the road where I live.Â*Â* I used to get
large bags of potatoes from a farm a few years ago but the old lady
who ran the farmÂ* passed away and the family stopped selling potatoes
by the barn door.

The point....
Now IÂ* need somewhere to store a big bag of potatoes. I used to use a
pantry in the kitchen but that went in re modelling a couple of years
agoÂ* when I had a new freezer which I couldnt get in the kitchen and I
was no longer using the pantry.

So, I need a store. Could I use one of those KeterBox type plastic
storage boxes/ mini shed things that you can buy?Â* Would it do the
job?Â* I am thinking of putting it on the small paved area outside my
kitchen door ( and bringing in small amounts to store in a cupboard in
the kitchen for convenience ( and not having to go out in the rain etc.).

Alternatively can someone suggest an alternative form of dryÂ* outside
store ( smallish) I could use?

As an aside, what is up with potatoes from supermarkets that they
sprout so quickly these days?

I blame global warming.

See if you can get a cheap secondhand wine chiller fridge, rip out all
the wine stands and put the sack of spuds in that. That'll stop 'em
sprouting.

Not if it has a clear glass panel in the door it won't.