Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Sorta Maybe, maybe not

I too have seen my access to a.p.b.w being dropped by ATT.

I do however see FREE.a.p.w. is available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in news:L%Qek.17709$Ri.2724
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

I too have seen my access to a.p.b.w being dropped by ATT.

I do however see FREE.a.p.w. is available.

Are binaries allowed in the rec.* hierarchy? As a work around, we could
form a replacement NG rec.woodworking.pictures.binaries

(Or even just rec.woodworking.binaries?)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I too have seen my access to a.p.b.w being dropped by ATT.

I do however see FREE.a.p.w. is available.

Where is the free a.p.w.? I've been dropped on bellsouth.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
I too have seen my access to a.p.b.w being dropped by ATT.

I do however see FREE.a.p.w. is available.

Where is the free a.p.w.? I've been dropped on bellsouth.

I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I did
a search for alt.binaries.pictures.wood. and got a blank window. I deleted
alt. at the front and free.binaries.pictures.woodworking showed up as being
available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I
did a search for alt.binaries.pictures.wood. and got a blank window. I
deleted alt. at the front and free.binaries.pictures.woodworking showed up
as being available.

???????

What is this? Any explanation?

Is this an actual newsgroup or something else?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I
did a search for alt.binaries.pictures.wood. and got a blank window. I
deleted alt. at the front and free.binaries.pictures.woodworking showed up
as being available.

???????

What is this? Any explanation?

Is this an actual newsgroup or something else?

Post some pictures there adn see what happens...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
I too have seen my access to a.p.b.w being dropped by ATT.

I do however see FREE.a.p.w. is available.

Where is the free a.p.w.? I've been dropped on bellsouth.

Giganews is "free" with Comcast. I've been using it for many years, no
problems, 2 gig/month limit, that I never reached in spite of
unbelievable usage for a couple of years.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I
did a search for alt.binaries.pictures.wood. and got a blank window. I
deleted alt. at the front and free.binaries.pictures.woodworking showed
up as being available.

???????

What is this? Any explanation?

Is this an actual newsgroup or something else?

I posted a picture there and it seems to work fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I
did a search for alt.binaries.pictures.wood. and got a blank window. I
deleted alt. at the front and free.binaries.pictures.woodworking showed
up as being available.

???????

What is this? Any explanation?

Is this an actual newsgroup or something else?

I posted a picture there and it seems to work fine.

I tried to locate it on the comcast newsgroups and was not able to find it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

I tried to locate it on the comcast newsgroups and was not able to find

it.

Nor I, on a giganews server.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Lee Michaels" wrote

I tried to locate it on the comcast newsgroups and was not able to find

it.

Nor I, on a giganews server.

Not on easynews either.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm on ATT and that doesn't appear on the current
newsgroup list.

The binaries list is quite short.

Leon wrote:

I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I did
a search for alt.binaries.pictures.wood. and got a blank window. I deleted
alt. at the front and free.binaries.pictures.woodworking showed up as being
available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

Giganews is "free" with Comcast. I've been using it for many years, no
problems, 2 gig/month limit, that I never reached in spite of
unbelievable usage for a couple of years.

That's great for those with Comcast cable TV.

I'd have to really NEED a.b.p.w to trade back down to cable from DirecTV.

There are so many free places to put pics online... One can simply post
a link.

On another note, I think I pay something like $9/mo. for full on hosting
for my own domain, and I get my own email addresses and a web site!

You could pay a cheapie host, give everyone you know email addresses,
post all the pics you like, and not even bother with the web site, and
it's still cheap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
I'm on ATT and that doesn't appear on the current
newsgroup list.

T-Bird warned me that it was gone and automatically unsubscribed. I
also use at&t for NG access.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have no idea at this point on what might be
going on.

I'm on ATT also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
I have no idea at this point on what might be
going on.

LOL, Don't feel lonely.

I lost a.b.p.w. and did a search for an new picture group, I found one by
substitutiong free for alt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

Giganews is "free" with Comcast. I've been using it for many years,
no problems, 2 gig/month limit, that I never reached in spite of
unbelievable usage for a couple of years.

That's great for those with Comcast cable TV.

I'd have to really NEED a.b.p.w to trade back down to cable from DirecTV.

Obviously if you are not that interested in participating in a binary
group, it's not important.

There are so many free places to put pics online... One can simply post
a link.

That's not even close to being reasonable for groups like
Alt.Binary.Photos.Originals where hundreds of pictures are posted each
day.

On another note, I think I pay something like $9/mo. for full on hosting
for my own domain, and I get my own email addresses and a web site!

Well, for $50/month I get up to 6 email accounts, 2 for me and one each
for my wife and kids. I also get a free web address with each of those
where we can all create our own web page. Ken Vaughn who posts here has
a free page here (http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/) I also get a
free Giganews account where all newsgroups are available, including
binaries like ABPO.

You could pay a cheapie host, give everyone you know email addresses,
post all the pics you like, and not even bother with the web site, and
it's still cheap.

I don't consider Comcast cheap by any stretch, but if you want all the
services they provide, it is worth it, and I particularly like the fact
they provide binary groups for free, and if/when they drop them, I will
complain whether it falls on deaf ears or not. I doubt I will pay
anyone separately though, first because I'm cheap, second because I
think most of them will disappear if the two major ISP's drop them.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

Well, for $50/month I get up to 6 email accounts, 2 for me and one each
for my wife and kids. I also get a free web address with each of those
where we can all create our own web page. Ken Vaughn who posts here has
a free page here (http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/)

Good point. Come to think it, most all internet providers include some
sort of web space. Since I own a domain, I forget that most access
accounts include that. So in reality, just about anyone has an easy and
free method to share photos.

To clarify, the domain I pay $9 to host includes my own domain name,
lots of storage, and unlimited email addresses, and has nothing to do
with my provider. There's even a nice web-based email client. Since I
own the domain name, my email or web address doesn't change if I change
providers. I really don't need internet access at all to use it. I can
post to it or read my mail from any public access tube.

If I really felt binary usenet access was that important, I'd buy access
via the many providers, including Giganews, that's been posted here. If
I switched back to cable in my area, my bill would climb at least
$50/mo., We'd lose our favorite channels, and worse, I'd have to teach
my wife to use new equipment! G
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

B A R R Y wrote in
:

Jack Stein wrote:

[...]

I am sticking with Verizon as ISP, since unlimited US phone service,
20/5 Mbps internet, and Fios TV cost me ~$120/mo, including 2 STBs (no
HD yet). I bought 25GB on news.astraweb.com for $10, and have used in 1
month only 50 MB. I use Xnews (free), Eudora (now free), so I don't
really need Forte, APN or not. But to each his/her own!!!

--
Best regards
Han

(sorta) gloat Arch Woodturning 0 March 17th 06 01:02 PM
Putting in a Window (sorta OT, but only sorta) FunkySpaceCowboy Woodworking 0 November 15th 05 03:58 PM
Sorta OT Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 2 March 28th 05 08:07 PM
OT Sorta... Joe Woodworking 0 February 1st 05 11:29 PM