Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Potatoes storage - OT but maybe not

On 15/09/2019 10:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
was thinking very hard :
So, I need a store. Could I use one of those KeterBox type plastic
storage boxes/ mini shed things that you can buy?* Would it do the
job?* I am thinking of putting it on the small paved area outside my
kitchen door ( and bringing in small amounts to store in a cupboard in
the kitchen for convenience ( and not having to go out in the rain etc.).

We often buy them by the 56lb bag, but I just call the local farm shop
and they will deliver for £2 per delivery, so I buy spuds and bulk bags
of dog dried biscuit. Its not worth getting the car and and making the
trip for the £2 delivery I could save.

To keep, potatoes need a cool dark place to store them. I have a pantry
which is cool, with no windows and plenty of masonry to keep the
temperature down. I doubt a shed or shelter would work well, because of
the rapid temperature variations.

When I lived in the Norfolk borderlands, the potato farmers used to keep
back their crops and preserve them in Potato Graves. As a casual
observer it looked to me as if they dug a long trench with a mechanical
digger, lined it with black plastic, poured the potatoes in and covered
it over with soil again. Although the plastic might have been over the
top of the potatoes before the soil - I'm not sure. They looked like
Iron-Age Long Barrows when they were finished but by doing this they
were able to deliver potatoes in good condition all through the winter
season.

Nick