Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potatoes storage - OT but maybe not

On 15/09/2019 11:40, wrote:
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 11:18:34 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2019 10:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
was thinking very hard :
So, I need a store. Could I use one of those KeterBox type plastic
storage boxes/ mini shed things that you can buy?Â* Would it do the
job?Â* I am thinking of putting it on the small paved area outside my
kitchen door ( and bringing in small amounts to store in a cupboard in
the kitchen for convenience ( and not having to go out in the rain etc.).

We often buy them by the 56lb bag, but I just call the local farm shop
and they will deliver for £2 per delivery, so I buy spuds and bulk bags
of dog dried biscuit. Its not worth getting the car and and making the
trip for the £2 delivery I could save.

To keep, potatoes need a cool dark place to store them. I have a pantry
which is cool, with no windows and plenty of masonry to keep the
temperature down. I doubt a shed or shelter would work well, because of
the rapid temperature variations.

freezing potatoes ruins them
Fridge os good until winter, then unheated pantry or cellar

I dont have a pantry or a cellar. Can you suggest an alternative?

Well you dont have heating either do you?

cover em with a load of builders sand outside...

Just to stop them freezing and keep them dark

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen