Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Potatoes storage - OT but maybe not

On 17/09/2019 14:56, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 15/09/2019 10:36, wrote:
I have been buying potatoes from Morrisons and Tesco's over the last
three or four years or so.Â* Various ones, usually their own brand,
wonky ones and sometimes Albert Bartlett ( which are more expensive
but my favourites in may ways). The problem is that none of the store
well. They sprout after a week.

I cant recall having had this problem in the past.

Now I am thinking of going back to getting a largeÂ* 56lb bag from the
local farmer who has set up business from his low larder/tractor in
his field entrance close to the road where I live.Â*Â* I used to get
large bags of potatoes from a farm a few years ago but the old lady
who ran the farmÂ* passed away and the family stopped selling potatoes
by the barn door.

The point....
Now IÂ* need somewhere to store a big bag of potatoes. I used to use a
pantry in the kitchen but that went in re modelling a couple of years
agoÂ* when I had a new freezer which I couldnt get in the kitchen and I
was no longer using the pantry.

So, I need a store. Could I use one of those KeterBox type plastic
storage boxes/ mini shed things that you can buy?Â* Would it do the
job?Â* I am thinking of putting it on the small paved area outside my
kitchen door ( and bringing in small amounts to store in a cupboard in
the kitchen for convenience ( and not having to go out in the rain etc.).

Alternatively can someone suggest an alternative form of dryÂ* outside
store ( smallish) I could use?

As an aside, what is up with potatoes from supermarkets that they
sprout so quickly these days?

I blame global warming.

See if you can get a cheap secondhand wine chiller fridge, rip out all
the wine stands and put the sack of spuds in that. That'll stop 'em
sprouting.

Not if it has a clear glass panel in the door it won't.