Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CD to MP3

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

think when you do that the info on tracks etc comes from the internet
check your settings......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

did you rip using the same software? or forget to tick the "lookup on
gracenote/cddb" option, or maybe you ran the old files through a
separate "ID3 tagger", maybe Windows Media Player can do that "by accident"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Two things. First some cds have it in hidden text on other machines you need
to interrogate an online database called cddb. If they are home made cds
then unless you put the titles in and enabled cd text on writing and did
them disc at once not track at once things can get lost.

I use CD Executive and it has CDDb and read from cd text as menu options.
Winamp can do this as well but I find that more annoying since I'm blind.
Weirdly, some cds that were on CDDB seem to have gone missing recently which
means you have to add the data manually and upload it to cddb for others
again.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package
has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it
find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

think when you do that the info on tracks etc comes from the internet
check your settings......

It's always amazed me that when the CD standard was devised in the late 70s,
they didn't reserve a few bytes in the disc's track index for the disc name
and artist, and the name of each track. A couple of kB of that data wouldn't
have reduced the amount of music data that could be stored by more than a
second.

But yes, CD-ripping software needs to identify each disc (by the combination
of track lengths, which is why you occasionally get false matches) and then
look up the track details in a master database. iTunes is crowdfunded: if
people fill in the details manually, it gets uploaded to a master database
somewhere that gets downloaded when other people rip the same disc. Other
ripping packages probably use a similar mechanism.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package
has an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album,
artist, and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

did you rip using the same software? or forget to tick the "lookup on
gracenote/cddb" option, or maybe you ran the old files through a
separate "ID3 tagger", maybe Windows Media Player can do that "by
accident"

I think it must be the same software, as comes with Win7 pro. No Nero or
whatever I can find on the machine.

--
*Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Two things. First some cds have it in hidden text on other machines you
need to interrogate an online database called cddb. If they are home
made cds then unless you put the titles in and enabled cd text on
writing and did them disc at once not track at once things can get lost.

All commercial CDs. Most of the first catch I did likely favourites from
the 80s. The ones I did yesterday, new.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:

It's always amazed me that when the CD standard was devised in the late
70s, they didn't reserve a few bytes in the disc's track index for the
disc name and artist, and the name of each track. A couple of kB of
that data wouldn't have reduced the amount of music data that could be
stored by more than a second.

There is plenty room on a CD for that text. IIRC, the original 74 minute
red book maximum was set by the maximum running time of a US NTSC U-Matic
tape - used then for digital recording.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 18:26, NY wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

They did, but CD player manufacturers didn't bother to make use of it so
CD masterers stopped putting the information on the CDs.

Music CDs you burn yourself may have stuff put on, such as "Custom Music
CD" for the CD title and track names based on the file names of the
tracks. CD rippers such as FreeRIP will show such information.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well had no issues with recent cds like the Cilla and the Liverpool Phil,
the most recent purchases all have it on the disc. There was a gap and also
some self published ones did not have it.
Brian

--
----- --

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 15/08/2019 18:26, NY wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

My cd player used to display track info and it didn't have an internet
connection so it got the info from somewhere, I suspect it was the CD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

Some CDs have that data on them. Some rippers can get it off the net
when the CD doesn’t have it on the CD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 18:26:48 UTC+1, NY wrote:

It's always amazed me that when the CD standard was devised in the late 70s,
they didn't reserve a few bytes in the disc's track index for the disc name
and artist, and the name of each track. A couple of kB of that data wouldn't
have reduced the amount of music data that could be stored by more than a
second.

the idea that a computer would be cheap enough to incorporate into a player was not foreseen. Computers cost serious money in the 70s, and very few had access to one. The idea seemed wholly unrealistic back then - and it was.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 20:36, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well had no issues with recent cds like the Cilla and the Liverpool Phil,
the most recent purchases all have it on the disc. There was a gap and also
some self published ones did not have it.

How did you read the text data?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 07:26:55 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Some CDs have that data on them. Some rippers can get it off the net
when the CD doesnąt have it on the CD.

That was already answered, senile Rodent! Just what in hell makes you
believe anyone's answer is only valid when YOU confirm it, you
self-opinionated, self-important senile asshole?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 7:12:05 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
NY wrote:

It's always amazed me that when the CD standard was devised in the late
70s, they didn't reserve a few bytes in the disc's track index for the
disc name and artist, and the name of each track. A couple of kB of
that data wouldn't have reduced the amount of music data that could be
stored by more than a second.

There is plenty room on a CD for that text. IIRC, the original 74 minute
red book maximum was set by the maximum running time of a US NTSC U-Matic
tape - used then for digital recording.

Urban myth say 74 minutes was the length of the Sony boss's wife's favourite symphony - Beethoven's Ninth.

One of the things about getting track data from cddb is that, like Wikipedia, the information is volunteered by the public and, like Wikipedia, needs to be checked vary carefully. I don't need or want things like "(2018 remixed version)" added to track titles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

It's all a bit of a dark art. My ICE (Citroen) seems to pull the
displayed information from it's arse ... no matter what I use to create
the tracks (on a USB stick). Whatever it is, it manages to display the
least useful part of the metadata possible.

My Ford is much the same, very fussy about how the stick is
created, then completely ignores my genre allocations and invents
its own. Don't mention playlists. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

Try ripping something that you have already tried and see if you get the
correct track listing.

The lists often come from an internet data base which probably has to be
configured in some settings and/or you have changed a menu option to
look locally rather than on the remote data base.

There should be no difference between finding the track data etc. for
something produced 20 years ago and for something recorded on CD in the
last week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:47:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package
has an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album,
artist, and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it
find all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new
ones?

It's all a bit of a dark art. My ICE (Citroen) seems to pull the
displayed information from it's arse ... no matter what I use to create
the tracks (on a USB stick). Whatever it is, it manages to display the
least useful part of the metadata possible.

It's not just on the car, though. Looking at the USB stick on the laptop,
and the files say untitled on the new ones.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Halmyre wrote:
There is plenty room on a CD for that text. IIRC, the original 74
minute red book maximum was set by the maximum running time of a US
NTSC U-Matic tape - used then for digital recording.

Urban myth say 74 minutes was the length of the Sony boss's wife's
favourite symphony - Beethoven's Ninth.

I prefer the U-Matic theory. They were the original PCM recorders. A
standard video machine with an add on box.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

Try ripping something that you have already tried and see if you get the
correct track listing.

Don't even need to rip it as the info appeared before doing so. After
inserting the CD. But I will find one I've already ripped and has the info
and see if it does the same again. I've not changed any settings.

The lists often come from an internet data base which probably has to be
configured in some settings and/or you have changed a menu option to
look locally rather than on the remote data base.

There should be no difference between finding the track data etc. for
something produced 20 years ago and for something recorded on CD in the
last week.

--
*IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:47:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package
has an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album,
artist, and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it
find all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new
ones?

You need something like musicbrainz picard, which manages audio file
tagging. However be prepared to download, learn how to use, swap tags for
filenames (and vice versa) and then gasp in wonder as your ICE just makes
**** up anyway.

After many hours of messing (excluding the trips to the car to test
it ...) I reckon it would have been simpler and quicker to simply record
myself reading the title and prepending it to the audio file to aid in
selection

I've found Exact Audio Copy which claims to be able to look up the data
and insert it fairly painlessly to the MP3 files. Although there is a one
off payment for the database (after a trial period) But not got it to work
yet.

Googling found that WMP used to be able to do the same thing - but not
supported anymore on Win7.

Still no closer to finding out just why some of my old CDs seemed to
provided this data. But not any new ones. (If I'd had to do something to
download the data I'd have remembered how)

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has
an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist,
and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find
all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

It will probably have come from one of the internet CDDB databases. One
of them morphed into Gracenote (http://www.gracenote.com/. You may wish
to use Freedb instead (http://www.freedb.org/). Check the settings in
your ripping software. You usually need to supply an email address as well.

Some CDs have CD-text on, which means a freedb lookup isn't needed.

Occaisionally, you'll find a CD that isn't in the DB and you have to
edit the text manually :-(