Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default CD to MP3

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 7:12:05 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
NY wrote:

It's always amazed me that when the CD standard was devised in the late
70s, they didn't reserve a few bytes in the disc's track index for the
disc name and artist, and the name of each track. A couple of kB of
that data wouldn't have reduced the amount of music data that could be
stored by more than a second.

There is plenty room on a CD for that text. IIRC, the original 74 minute
red book maximum was set by the maximum running time of a US NTSC U-Matic
tape - used then for digital recording.

Urban myth say 74 minutes was the length of the Sony boss's wife's favourite symphony - Beethoven's Ninth.

One of the things about getting track data from cddb is that, like Wikipedia, the information is volunteered by the public and, like Wikipedia, needs to be checked vary carefully. I don't need or want things like "(2018 remixed version)" added to track titles.