Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CD to MP3

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:47:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package
has an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album,
artist, and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it
find all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new
ones?

You need something like musicbrainz picard, which manages audio file
tagging. However be prepared to download, learn how to use, swap tags for
filenames (and vice versa) and then gasp in wonder as your ICE just makes
**** up anyway.

After many hours of messing (excluding the trips to the car to test
it ...) I reckon it would have been simpler and quicker to simply record
myself reading the title and prepending it to the audio file to aid in
selection

I've found Exact Audio Copy which claims to be able to look up the data
and insert it fairly painlessly to the MP3 files. Although there is a one
off payment for the database (after a trial period) But not got it to work
yet.

Googling found that WMP used to be able to do the same thing - but not
supported anymore on Win7.

Still no closer to finding out just why some of my old CDs seemed to
provided this data. But not any new ones. (If I'd had to do something to
download the data I'd have remembered how)

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.