Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default smart meters

Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice
here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get
sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in
circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have
spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is
failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 16:12, Broadback wrote:
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice
here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get
sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in
circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have
spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is
failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?

I'm not aware that Ofgem have a clear position on /physical/ removal as
opposed to having the the meter operate with "smart" functionality
turned off.

But it seems to me a prior question is in what way it is "flaky" and
why. On that it's easy to lodge an official complaint with Eon. That
gets you into a regulated process which the suppliers have to follow.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 July 2019 16:13:02 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice
here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get
sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in
circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have
spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is
failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?

well don't make your post any vaguer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is indeed sad that something as simple as this suffers from bugs. These
really could be most useful but I've heard all sorts of stories about the
new ones and how they seem to malfunction for no apparent reason. The
companies must be cursing them.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice here
and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get sense for
Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in circles they
ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have spent enough time,
and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is failing at the moment).
Alternatively can I have it removed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 21:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
The problems might actually be due to these powerline adaptors interfering
with the electronics. They just need to put a ruddy great capacitor across
the supply!

Brian

It appears that the act of testing them in the factory breaks them. Ask
for an un-tested one....

https://community.bulb.co.uk/discuss...k-in-the-field

or

http://tiny.cc/683faz

Dave

-- ----- -- This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The
wrote in message
On Monday, 29 July 2019 16:13:02 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice
here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get
sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in
circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have
spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is
failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?

well don't make your post any vaguer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 16:12, Broadback wrote:
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice
here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get
sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in
circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have
spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is
failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?

In theory of course you need never look at it as it will inform your
supplier about your usage.

You could ask Eon if they would be willing to replace it with a dumb
meter. There would almost certainly be a charge.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 July 2019 23:14:26 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 29/07/2019 16:12, Broadback wrote:
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice
here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get
sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in
circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have
spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is
failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?

In theory of course you need never look at it as it will inform your
supplier about your usage.

You could ask Eon if they would be willing to replace it with a dumb
meter. There would almost certainly be a charge.

The ultimate purpose is nothing to do with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_demand_management

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 23:14, Michael Chare wrote:
On 29/07/2019 16:12, Broadback wrote:
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice
here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get
sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in
circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have
spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is
failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?

In what way is it failing? The installers usually go away again when
they discover that there is no networks signal at the electricity meter,
but that doesn't stop them mithering you incessantly. Targets must be
met to avoid penalties even if the kit being fitted doesn't work!

In theory of course you need never look at it as it will inform your
supplier about your usage.

You could ask Eon if they would be willing to replace it with a dumb
meter. There would almost certainly be a charge.

Changing your supplier to any other will usually have that effect.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2019 16:20, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

How is it failing? Well in many ways. At the moment it will not update
nor download data, in other words it is a dumb meter. Eon failed to
respond to my complains until after several days when I was phoned by a
foreigner, whose accent was so thick that I could not understand him.
Very frustrating.