Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd wiring colours

My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse. It was ok, but the
power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a white
insulated one to live. Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used? I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 13:22:09 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:

My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse. It was ok, but the
power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a white
insulated one to live. Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used? I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

Nowhere that I know of, but rules are ignored in many far-flung places. The one thing it establishes is that the heater does not comply with UK safety rules. If it were mine I'd be taking a much closer look.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse. It was ok, but the
power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a white
insulated one to live. Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used? I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

Not sure Lidl were selling in the UK before the standard flex colours came
in.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 13:22, Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse.Â* It was ok, but the
power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a white
insulated one to live.Â* Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used?Â* I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

And red is used for earth in Japanese cables. I kid you not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 17:33, mm0fmf wrote:
On 06/06/2019 13:22, Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse.Â* It was ok, but
the power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a
white insulated one to live.Â* Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used?Â* I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

Nah, black is live, white is neutral IIRC.

And red is used for earth in Japanese cables. I kid you not.

Well, in nature green things are generally alive, and earth is usually
brown. I suppose grey is fairly neutral.

Anyway, the cable in question has all the right markings and seems to be
good quality.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , mm0fmf wrote:
On 06/06/2019 13:22, Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse. It was ok, but
the power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a
white insulated one to live. Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used? I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

And red is used for earth in Japanese cables. I kid you not.

It used to be in Germany, too - beofre harmonisation.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 17:33, mm0fmf wrote:
On 06/06/2019 13:22, Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse.Â* It was ok, but
the power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a
white insulated one to live.Â* Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used?Â* I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

The USA has a +55v 0v -55v system. White is 0v. Black and red are both
lives, one +55v and one -55v, although I forget which is which. Wiring
across black and red gives 110v. There is also a blue live for use in
three phase systems.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive Arthur
writes
On 06/06/2019 17:33, mm0fmf wrote:

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

Nah, black is live, white is neutral IIRC.

Indeed - think 'black death' and white is a neutral colour. Green is
grass - which grows on the ground.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 14:44:18 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I wish they had some kind of tactile way to identify wires. Not just for us
blind people but in very hard to reach places it would make identification
much easier by feel.
Brian

But it is very easy to differentiate by feel.
110V and up isn't a problem.

50-100V would need Ones pinkies dipped in salt solution.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
I wish they had some kind of tactile way to identify wires. Not just for us
blind people but in very hard to reach places it would make identification
much easier by feel.
Brian

Its probably safer not to.
Do dymo do embossed labels you can read?

http://braille-label.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 21:01:05 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Do dymo do embossed labels you can read?

Dymo don't, but another manufacturer does

https://shop.rnib.org.uk/braille-labeller.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 19:51:22 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

The USA has a +55v 0v -55v system.

You sure about that? I thought US domestic supplies where 110 V
biphase. ie 110 - 0 - 110. Normal appliances where connected between
0 and one of the phases. Big loads like washers connected between the
phases and ran off 220 V and thus half the current for the same power
@ 110 V.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 06/06/2019 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
I wish they had some kind of tactile way to identify wires. Not just for
us
blind people but in very hard to reach places it would make
identification
much easier by feel.
Brian

Its probably safer not to.
Do dymo do embossed labels you can read?

http://braille-label.co.uk/

Doesnt work to identify which is the
earth wire, the active and the neutral.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 07:46:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Its probably safer not to.
Do dymo do embossed labels you can read?

http://braille-label.co.uk/

Doesn¢t work to identify which is the
earth wire, the active and the neutral.

Of course, it does, senile wisenheimer! tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 22:42, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 19:51:22 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

The USA has a +55v 0v -55v system.

You sure about that? I thought US domestic supplies where 110 V
biphase. ie 110 - 0 - 110. Normal appliances where connected between
0 and one of the phases. Big loads like washers connected between the
phases and ran off 220 V and thus half the current for the same power
@ 110 V.

Old age catching up with me. I realised I had got that wrong shortly
after I pressed the send button. Those are the voltages for inherently
safe systems. However, the principle remains the same that black and red
are both colours for live wires, with white for neutral.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 19:51, Nightjar wrote:

The USA has a +55v 0v -55v system. White is 0v. Black and red are both
lives, one +55v and one -55v, although I forget which is which. Wiring
across black and red gives 110v. There is also a blue live for use in
three phase systems.

Where? The USA's common system is 120V-0-120V with phase-phase being
used for high load devices.

You're not confusing this with "yellow" building site transformers and
tools are you?

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 06/06/2019 17:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 06/06/2019 17:33, mm0fmf wrote:
On 06/06/2019 13:22, Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse.Â* It was ok, but
the power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a
white insulated one to live.Â* Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used?Â* I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

Nah, black is live, white is neutral IIRC.

And red is used for earth in Japanese cables. I kid you not.

Well, in nature green things are generally alive, and earth is usually
brown.Â* I suppose grey is fairly neutral.

Anyway, the cable in question has all the right markings and seems to be
good quality.

Cheers

I reckon the colours should be blue for live "electric blue", magnolia
for neutral (because it is) & brown for earth (because it is).

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 June 2019 17:42:14 UTC+1, TMH wrote:
[...]

No the Earth is a blueish colour from space :-D

Anyway I think we should convert to Red white and Blue in honour of Brexit or of course let Boris decide once his PM. 8-{}

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

most live stuff on this planet is green. Or perhaps we should appease some political faction by permitting anything from cream to pink to brown to black.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Trouble is our colours are the same as the French, even the RAF insignia is
based on the French one.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/06/2019 18:09, Marland wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

3 core and earth was red white and blue until the 14th edition.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Hardly any animals or insects are.

Or perhaps we should appease some political faction by
permitting anything from cream to pink to brown to black.

Brindles rule.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Trouble is our colours are the same as the French, even the RAF insignia is
based on the French one.

3 core and earth was red white and blue until the 14th edition.

Don't remember that. Only red yellow blue.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 04:08:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

most live stuff on this planet is green.

Hardly any animals or insects are.

He said most. Wanna bet there a more plants on this planet than animals and
insects and humans, senile Mr. Know-it-all?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Trouble is our colours are the same as the French, even the RAF insignia is
based on the French one.

3 core and earth was red white and blue until the 14th edition.

Don't remember that. Only red yellow blue.

I don't know about red, white, blue, bur red, yellow, blue was
three-phase and I can't see them using yellow for both a phase and earth
in different cables.

SteveW