Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring colours in Switzerland

I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but
noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most
simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I would
like the wiring to match up properly as I may add smart devices in the
future.

I have the standard brown, blue, yellow/green on the lights themselves
but on the ceiling the colours are purple, yellow, yellow/green.

Does anybody know where the yellow and purple wires should go? I guess
I can safely assume that green/yellow is earth but would like them
wired correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Flintstone" wrote:

I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but
noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most
simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I would
like the wiring to match up properly as I may add smart devices in the
future.

Neutral is a US (north America) only thing, with the 110v usage. Europe
is all 220v.

--
Silly sig to prevent isp ad
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:49:02 -0500, John Hines
wrote:

"Flintstone" wrote:

I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but
noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most
simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I would
like the wiring to match up properly as I may add smart devices in the
future.

Neutral is a US (north America) only thing, with the 110v usage. Europe
is all 220v.

Not quite accurate...

In many if not all countries that use 220 volts, one side of that 220
volts is at ground potential and is considered a neutral wire. The
other side is the "HOT" wire with a nominal value of 220 Volts to
ground.

There can also be an optional safety grounding conductor, usually
called the "Earth" connection in the Euro lingo.

Some 220V countries use polarized receptacles just like the US to keep
continuity with the (hot and neutral wires) and some countries do not.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

sorry I can't be more help as to ccolors themselves, but for power
standards:

http://www.digitaltigers.com/international-power.shtml

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Flintstone wrote:
I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but
noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most
simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I would
like the wiring to match up properly as I may add smart devices in the
future.

I have the standard brown, blue, yellow/green on the lights themselves
but on the ceiling the colours are purple, yellow, yellow/green.

Does anybody know where the yellow and purple wires should go? I guess
I can safely assume that green/yellow is earth but would like them
wired correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
sorry I can't be more help as to ccolors themselves, but for power
standards:

http://www.digitaltigers.com/international-power.shtml

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

href=http://www.stephenyong.com/kingsofchaos.htmKings of
chaos/abr

Flintstone wrote:
I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but
noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most
simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I would
like the wiring to match up properly as I may add smart devices in
the future.

I have the standard brown, blue, yellow/green on the lights
themselves but on the ceiling the colours are purple, yellow,
yellow/green.

Does anybody know where the yellow and purple wires should go? I
guess I can safely assume that green/yellow is earth but would like
them wired correctly.

Here's an even better reference:
http://www.interpower.com/icl/guide.htm
Used to be Panel Components; excellent design info too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Flintstone wrote:
I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but
noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most
simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I would
like the wiring to match up properly as I may add smart devices in
the future.

I have the standard brown, blue, yellow/green on the lights
themselves but on the ceiling the colours are purple, yellow,
yellow/green.

Does anybody know where the yellow and purple wires should go? I
guess I can safely assume that green/yellow is earth but would like
them wired correctly.

Here's an even better reference:
http://www.interpower.com/icl/guide.htm
Used to be Panel Components; excellent design info too.

Looking at the myriad plug designs in Europe alone I have to wonder. Since
they're so huffy about the EU over there, are they looking at adopting a
common electrical standard as well? My god, it must be hell traveling from
one country to another over there - although that Swiss plug looks pretty
well designed - even has an inset socket so the plug doesn't cantilever over
from the weight of the plug head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Looking at the myriad plug designs in Europe alone I have to wonder. Since
they're so huffy about the EU over there, are they looking at adopting a
common electrical standard as well? My god, it must be hell traveling from
one country to another over there - although that Swiss plug looks pretty
well designed - even has an inset socket so the plug doesn't cantilever over
from the weight of the plug head.

Different systems have different advantages and disadvantages.

Euro-style plugs like the one you mentioned has that inset socket
advantage, but it makes plug strips that are awkwardly shaped and
usually have fewer outlets than the US- North-American System. The
wall wart transformers that I've seen in Europe have generally been
physically larger, in most cases.

Also... 240 V. wiring requires stronger insulation, but less conductor
size for the same wattage (because of the higher voltage). The
spacing between the conductor prongs at the plug must be slightly
greater, thus requiring a bigger plug.

In my opinion, the world would be more convenient for international
travelers (and probably better for world trade, as well) if there was
one set of standards for electric power (voltage, frequency, and
plug-style), telephone connectors, cellular phone systems, and TV
broadcast Standards (terrestrial, cable, and satellite) and DVD world
regions (the latter was forced upon us by the motion picture
industry).

It's unlikely that this will ever happen... Not during our lifetimes,
anyway.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:32:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Looking at the myriad plug designs in Europe alone I have to wonder. Since
they're so huffy about the EU over there, are they looking at adopting a
common electrical standard as well? My god, it must be hell traveling from
one country to another over there

Because of the liberal import policies within the EU, iiuc the absence
of customs inspections when crossing borders, now they just use long
extension cords from their old homes, where they used the right
colors, to their new homes.