Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Odd wiring colours

On 06/06/2019 17:33, mm0fmf wrote:
On 06/06/2019 13:22, Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse.Â* It was ok, but
the power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a
white insulated one to live.Â* Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used?Â* I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

The USA has a +55v 0v -55v system. White is 0v. Black and red are both
lives, one +55v and one -55v, although I forget which is which. Wiring
across black and red gives 110v. There is also a blue live for use in
three phase systems.

Colin Bignell