Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Odd wiring colours

In article , mm0fmf wrote:
On 06/06/2019 13:22, Clive Arthur wrote:
My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse. It was ok, but
the power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a
white insulated one to live. Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used? I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded
'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

And red is used for earth in Japanese cables. I kid you not.

It used to be in Germany, too - beofre harmonisation.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England