Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas meter connection -safe?

https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 16:18:42 +0100
F news@nowhere wrote:

https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

To this non-expert viewer, it looks terrible. Maybe send that picture
to the gas supplier for comment and information? Even show it to the
local firemen.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

That looks dreadful. It's easily solved but doing so is the job of the
installer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 16:34, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

Thanks. I've Googled for that and anything I thought similar but cannot
find anything 'official', only diynot comments which aren't going to cut
it with Siemens who installed it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

That looks dreadful. It's easily solved but doing so is the job of the
installer.

Agreed, I'm not going anywhere near it and am not getting anyone in. I'm
just wanting to get something rock-solid to face them with rather than
get the brush-off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd still get a second opinion myself. I have no gas, but even when I did I
was not very impressed by the standard of workmanship in the, shall we say
out of site out of mind areas. That is one reason I got rid of it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 01/06/2019 16:34, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

Thanks. I've Googled for that and anything I thought similar but cannot
find anything 'official', only diynot comments which aren't going to cut
it with Siemens who installed it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 17:38, F wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

That looks dreadful. It's easily solved but doing so is the job of the
installer.

Agreed, I'm not going anywhere near it and am not getting anyone in. I'm
just wanting to get something rock-solid to face them with rather than
get the brush-off.

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit. Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed
bellows but with a rubber hose inside it? If there *is* a rubber hose
then I don't think I would worry much as the stresses in it are not
going to be high and there is still some secondary containment. I would
certainly be a bit unhappy if the bellows is the primary containment.

It looks a bit as though it might be inside a garage, which means the
ventilation will be pretty good, so the chances of getting an explosive
mixture if it fails are not so high. If it is in a basement or cellar
that seldom gets visited, with poor ventilation, so that a leak might
not be detected, then risks are higher.

Doesn't look as though it meets Adam's criterion of convolutions in
contact, so I would not feel embarrassed about reporting it. You could
always say "I thought I smelled gas" rather than "It doesn't look right
to me", since even if it tests out OK on leakage the gas guys are more
likely to change it to be on the safe side.

Going off at a not totally irrelevant tangent, just came back from a
holiday cottage that had no broadband for the first half of the week. It
had apparently taken Openreach a fortnight to come out and look (various
cock-ups on the way). The techie quickly confirmed that the problem was
18.5 metres back from the router, suggesting it might be at the top of
the pole. In fact it turned out to be no more than five metres away,
where the neighbour trimming a small hedge had simply chopped through
the cable just before it went into the (terraced) cottage. If I had
bothered to look, I could have done a temporary fix myself.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit.

The valve and anaconda are on the supply side of the meter, so SEP.

Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed
bellows but with a rubber hose inside it?

I don't think there's a hose inside it, just (hydroformed?) stainless steel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 21:41, newshound wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:38, F wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The pipe with the valve at the top is a very sturdy length of 2"
steel which rises out of the concrete garage (good guess!) floor so,
unfortunately, it's not going anywhere.

I do like the 'I think I can smell gas' solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 21:55, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit.

The valve and anaconda are on the supply side of the meter, so SEP.

SEP?

Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed
bellows but with a rubber hose inside it?

I don't think there's a hose inside it, just (hydroformed?) stainless steel.

Google warns against leaving any flux that might have dropped on it as
it will rot through and leak so I assume there's nothing beyond the metal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

SEP?

someone else's problem, if the O/P is concerned about it ask the meter
fitters to come back and improve it, if they won't, call transco and say
you're concerned about the safety of it ... make sure you call at a time
when it'll be convenient to have no gas for a few hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 17:38, F wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I had completely misinterpreted the picture. In that case I would
be trying to move the meter. If that's too difficult, then it would be
on to the phone! Actually (not being a very convincing liar, owing to my
Aspergers) I would probably say "My wife thinks she can smell gas. I
can't myself, typical neurotic woman, but I suppose you have to err on
the side of safety".

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit.

The valve and anaconda are on the supply side of the meter, so SEP.

My mistake, see later post!

Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed bellows
but with a rubber hose inside it?

I don't think there's a hose inside it, just (hydroformed?) stainless
steel.

I wasn't sure. I've used them a bit on vacuum and low pressure kit.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 1 June 2019 22:32:53 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 01/06/2019 22:15, F wrote:

I do like the 'I think I can smell gas' solution.

Sorry, I had completely misinterpreted the picture. In that case I would
be trying to move the meter. If that's too difficult, then it would be
on to the phone! Actually (not being a very convincing liar, owing to my
Aspergers) I would probably say "My wife thinks she can smell gas. I
can't myself, typical neurotic woman, but I suppose you have to err on
the side of safety".

Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install condemned, regardless of the cause.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 16:34, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 16:34, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

Had my meter replaced recently, and the ribbed bits definitely touch at
a drastic 90 degree bend. Mmmm.

Being replaced again next week with a smart meter - I'll raise it with them.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

AUIU, the latter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2019 11:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

AUIU, the latter.

So, if it is reasonable to assume they don't have the overall outlook on
gas safety and the causes of gas safety as a Gas Safe engineer then it
might be reasonable to wonder what horrors lurk in other people's homes.

These amazing gas explosions which blow the fronts off houses: I wonder
if they had a smart gas meter fitted recently?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Nick Odell wrote:

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

AUIU, the latter.

So, if it is reasonable to assume they don't have the overall outlook on
gas safety and the causes of gas safety as a Gas Safe engineer then it
might be reasonable to wonder what horrors lurk in other people's homes.

They will still have an outlook on safety, just that they are not on the
Gas Safe register, e.g. from a job spec for smart meter personnel

"Engineers should be Gas qualified with minimum CCN1/CMA1 AND MET1 and
at least 1 year experience in gas installation."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

Update: I got Network out and they pronounced it 'safe' but were not
impressed with the quality of the install.