Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 21:41, newshound wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:38, F wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

That looks dreadful. It's easily solved but doing so is the job of the
installer.

Agreed, I'm not going anywhere near it and am not getting anyone in. I'm
just wanting to get something rock-solid to face them with rather than
get the brush-off.

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit. Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed
bellows but with a rubber hose inside it? If there *is* a rubber hose
then I don't think I would worry much as the stresses in it are not
going to be high and there is still some secondary containment. I would
certainly be a bit unhappy if the bellows is the primary containment.

It looks a bit as though it might be inside a garage, which means the
ventilation will be pretty good, so the chances of getting an explosive
mixture if it fails are not so high. If it is in a basement or cellar
that seldom gets visited, with poor ventilation, so that a leak might
not be detected, then risks are higher.

Doesn't look as though it meets Adam's criterion of convolutions in
contact, so I would not feel embarrassed about reporting it. You could
always say "I thought I smelled gas" rather than "It doesn't look right
to me", since even if it tests out OK on leakage the gas guys are more
likely to change it to be on the safe side.

Thanks. The pipe with the valve at the top is a very sturdy length of 2"
steel which rises out of the concrete garage (good guess!) floor so,
unfortunately, it's not going anywhere.

I do like the 'I think I can smell gas' solution.