jw 1111

Default earth connection 600 mm from gas meter

hi, have just been told by a gas fitter that there should be an earth
connecton via a 'bonding connection' a maximum distance of 600mm from my gas
meter.

what does this do exactly? Is it all that important since gas men did not
fit one some time ago when they were in?

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

jw 1111 wrote:
hi, have just been told by a gas fitter that there should be an earth
connecton via a 'bonding connection' a maximum distance of 600mm from my gas
meter.

what does this do exactly? Is it all that important since gas men did not
fit one some time ago when they were in?

in case there is an electrical short to your gas line, it will not pass
through the meter. instead it will go to ground. also if there is a
short outside the house on the gas line, it will also not pass into your
house. this is good because high current through certain fittings can
cause them to fail and/or age prematurely.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
SQLit

"jw 1111" wrote in message
hi, have just been told by a gas fitter that there should be an earth
connecton via a 'bonding connection' a maximum distance of 600mm from my

gas
meter.

what does this do exactly? Is it all that important since gas men did not
fit one some time ago when they were in?

In the US gas piping is required to be bonded to the electrical service.
I.E. run a properly sized conductor from the gas pipe to the electrical
grounding bar. Does not matter the distance.

The fact that your giving the dimension in "mm" tells me your not in the US.
600 mm translates to about 24 inches and I am not aware of any US grounding
requirement meeting that situation.

Try calling your local code authority.

Mains blocks with surge protection? Paul Hutchings UK diy 15 October 5th 04 07:12 AM
Further Earth Bonding questions [email protected] UK diy 34 September 15th 04 08:49 AM
Down to earth - can you identify tonight's mystery switch gear? John Rumm UK diy 21 April 21st 04 09:23 AM
Ceiling fan earth Andy Wade UK diy 5 August 11th 03 04:16 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM