DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas meter connection -safe? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/636263-gas-meter-connection-safe.html)

F[_2_] June 1st 19 04:18 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

Davey June 1st 19 04:27 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 16:18:42 +0100
F news@nowhere wrote:

https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

To this non-expert viewer, it looks terrible. Maybe send that picture
to the gas supplier for comment and information? Even show it to the
local firemen.

--
Davey.

ARW June 1st 19 04:34 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

--
Adam

[email protected] June 1st 19 05:18 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

That looks dreadful. It's easily solved but doing so is the job of the
installer.

F[_2_] June 1st 19 05:36 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 16:34, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

Thanks. I've Googled for that and anything I thought similar but cannot
find anything 'official', only diynot comments which aren't going to cut
it with Siemens who installed it.

F[_2_] June 1st 19 05:38 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

That looks dreadful. It's easily solved but doing so is the job of the
installer.

Agreed, I'm not going anywhere near it and am not getting anyone in. I'm
just wanting to get something rock-solid to face them with rather than
get the brush-off.

Brian Gaff June 1st 19 06:02 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

I'd still get a second opinion myself. I have no gas, but even when I did I
was not very impressed by the standard of workmanship in the, shall we say
out of site out of mind areas. That is one reason I got rid of it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

newshound June 1st 19 09:41 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 17:38, F wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

That looks dreadful. It's easily solved but doing so is the job of the
installer.

Agreed, I'm not going anywhere near it and am not getting anyone in. I'm
just wanting to get something rock-solid to face them with rather than
get the brush-off.

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit. Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed
bellows but with a rubber hose inside it? If there *is* a rubber hose
then I don't think I would worry much as the stresses in it are not
going to be high and there is still some secondary containment. I would
certainly be a bit unhappy if the bellows is the primary containment.

It looks a bit as though it might be inside a garage, which means the
ventilation will be pretty good, so the chances of getting an explosive
mixture if it fails are not so high. If it is in a basement or cellar
that seldom gets visited, with poor ventilation, so that a leak might
not be detected, then risks are higher.

Doesn't look as though it meets Adam's criterion of convolutions in
contact, so I would not feel embarrassed about reporting it. You could
always say "I thought I smelled gas" rather than "It doesn't look right
to me", since even if it tests out OK on leakage the gas guys are more
likely to change it to be on the safe side.

Going off at a not totally irrelevant tangent, just came back from a
holiday cottage that had no broadband for the first half of the week. It
had apparently taken Openreach a fortnight to come out and look (various
cock-ups on the way). The techie quickly confirmed that the problem was
18.5 metres back from the router, suggesting it might be at the top of
the pole. In fact it turned out to be no more than five metres away,
where the neighbour trimming a small hedge had simply chopped through
the cable just before it went into the (terraced) cottage. If I had
bothered to look, I could have done a temporary fix myself.

---

Andy Burns[_13_] June 1st 19 09:55 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

newshound wrote:

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit.

The valve and anaconda are on the supply side of the meter, so SEP.

Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed
bellows but with a rubber hose inside it?

I don't think there's a hose inside it, just (hydroformed?) stainless steel.

F[_2_] June 1st 19 10:15 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 21:41, newshound wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:38, F wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The pipe with the valve at the top is a very sturdy length of 2"
steel which rises out of the concrete garage (good guess!) floor so,
unfortunately, it's not going anywhere.

I do like the 'I think I can smell gas' solution.

F[_2_] June 1st 19 10:17 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 21:55, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit.

The valve and anaconda are on the supply side of the meter, so SEP.

SEP?

Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed
bellows but with a rubber hose inside it?

I don't think there's a hose inside it, just (hydroformed?) stainless steel.

Google warns against leaving any flux that might have dropped on it as
it will rot through and leak so I assume there's nothing beyond the metal.

Andy Burns[_13_] June 1st 19 10:28 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

F wrote:

SEP?

someone else's problem, if the O/P is concerned about it ask the meter
fitters to come back and improve it, if they won't, call transco and say
you're concerned about the safety of it ... make sure you call at a time
when it'll be convenient to have no gas for a few hours.

newshound June 1st 19 10:32 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 17:38, F wrote:
On 01/06/2019 17:18, wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I had completely misinterpreted the picture. In that case I would
be trying to move the meter. If that's too difficult, then it would be
on to the phone! Actually (not being a very convincing liar, owing to my
Aspergers) I would probably say "My wife thinks she can smell gas. I
can't myself, typical neurotic woman, but I suppose you have to err on
the side of safety".

---

newshound June 1st 19 10:34 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

newshound wrote:

If it was mine, I would just move the pipe below the valve over to the
left a bit.

The valve and anaconda are on the supply side of the meter, so SEP.

My mistake, see later post!

Can anyone confirm the technology, is that a pressure-formed bellows
but with a rubber hose inside it?

I don't think there's a hose inside it, just (hydroformed?) stainless
steel.

I wasn't sure. I've used them a bit on vacuum and low pressure kit.

---

[email protected] June 2nd 19 03:31 AM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On Saturday, 1 June 2019 22:32:53 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 01/06/2019 22:15, F wrote:

I do like the 'I think I can smell gas' solution.

Sorry, I had completely misinterpreted the picture. In that case I would
be trying to move the meter. If that's too difficult, then it would be
on to the phone! Actually (not being a very convincing liar, owing to my
Aspergers) I would probably say "My wife thinks she can smell gas. I
can't myself, typical neurotic woman, but I suppose you have to err on
the side of safety".

Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install condemned, regardless of the cause.

NT

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] June 2nd 19 07:34 AM

Gas meter connection -safe?

After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install condemned,
regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot
leaks outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our
local pressure regulator station.

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 2nd 19 07:59 AM

Gas meter connection -safe?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install
condemned, regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot leaks
outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our local
pressure regulator station.

while on holiday in a rented flat in Rothesay in the 50's my mother went
looking for a town gas leak with a match and found it with a nice wee flame
spouting from a pipe........

Nick Odell[_2_] June 2nd 19 10:56 AM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 02/06/2019 07:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install
condemned, regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot leaks
outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our local
pressure regulator station.

while on holiday in a rented flat in Rothesay in the 50's my mother went
looking for a town gas leak with a match and found it with a nice wee flame
spouting from a pipe........

If it were anything like some of the holiday lets I experienced in those
days - or even the post war prefab my parents were housed in after my
dad came out of the army - there was very little chance of gas build up
thanks to the howling gales which forced their way through all the cracks.

Nick

Nick Odell[_2_] June 2nd 19 11:00 AM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 16:34, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

Nick

RJH[_2_] June 2nd 19 11:27 AM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 16:34, ARW wrote:
On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the
right hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

It's a basic reg (from what I have picked up over the years) that none
of the ribbed sections should touch each other.

Try a Google for gas anaconda.

Had my meter replaced recently, and the ribbed bits definitely touch at
a drastic 90 degree bend. Mmmm.

Being replaced again next week with a smart meter - I'll raise it with them.

--
Cheers, Rob

Andy Burns[_13_] June 2nd 19 11:30 AM

Gas meter connection -safe?

Nick Odell wrote:

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

AUIU, the latter.

Nick Odell[_2_] June 2nd 19 12:26 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 02/06/2019 11:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

AUIU, the latter.

So, if it is reasonable to assume they don't have the overall outlook on
gas safety and the causes of gas safety as a Gas Safe engineer then it
might be reasonable to wonder what horrors lurk in other people's homes.

These amazing gas explosions which blow the fronts off houses: I wonder
if they had a smart gas meter fitted recently?

Nick

Roger Hayter[_2_] June 2nd 19 12:55 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install
condemned, regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot leaks
outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our local
pressure regulator station.

while on holiday in a rented flat in Rothesay in the 50's my mother went
looking for a town gas leak with a match and found it with a nice wee flame
spouting from a pipe........

Contrary to popular belief, searching for a gas leak with a lighted
match is probably fairly sensible; as long as the whole house didn't
blow up when you first lit the match, anyway.

--

Roger Hayter

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 2nd 19 01:06 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install
condemned, regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot
leaks
outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our local
pressure regulator station.

while on holiday in a rented flat in Rothesay in the 50's my mother went
looking for a town gas leak with a match and found it with a nice wee
flame
spouting from a pipe........

Contrary to popular belief, searching for a gas leak with a lighted
match is probably fairly sensible; as long as the whole house didn't
blow up when you first lit the match, anyway.

but nobody was happy when she did that

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 2nd 19 01:09 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install
condemned, regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot
leaks
outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our local
pressure regulator station.

while on holiday in a rented flat in Rothesay in the 50's my mother went
looking for a town gas leak with a match and found it with a nice wee
flame
spouting from a pipe........

Contrary to popular belief, searching for a gas leak with a lighted
match is probably fairly sensible; as long as the whole house didn't
blow up when you first lit the match, anyway.

but nobody was happy when she did that

That was the year I got a dirty big skelf in my bare foot from the wooden
Woolworths floors ....remember those? .....

Daniallo[_3_] June 2nd 19 01:18 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 19:31:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install condemned, regardless of the cause.

If the leak is on your side.

If it's on the supply side Transco will sort it, they won't leave the
premises until it's sorted or made safe pending a repair.

Had it at my dad's house, meter under the stairs, whiff of gas.
Very old installation, no flexi & thumbscrew valve that wouldn't budge.
Transco came within the hour, confirmed leak with his sniffer. His laptop
showed the gas main was cast iron under the pavement & thought it would
have to be dug up.

Another van arrived, had a look & they decided to saw it off & replace live
as the property was empty.

He told me the main was only about 5 psi. Just needed open windows for a
couple of hours.

Max Demian June 2nd 19 02:34 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

We Sassenachs have things called "shoes".

--
Max Demian

Roger Hayter[_2_] June 2nd 19 02:44 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

Or "clogs" in the case of the North. Plenty of barefoot kids in the
streets in 1960s Leeds.

--

Roger Hayter

Andy Burns[_13_] June 2nd 19 03:03 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

Nick Odell wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Nick Odell wrote:

Are the people who install smart gas meters Gas Safe certified or are
they simply trained up as meter installers?

AUIU, the latter.

So, if it is reasonable to assume they don't have the overall outlook on
gas safety and the causes of gas safety as a Gas Safe engineer then it
might be reasonable to wonder what horrors lurk in other people's homes.

They will still have an outlook on safety, just that they are not on the
Gas Safe register, e.g. from a job spec for smart meter personnel

"Engineers should be Gas qualified with minimum CCN1/CMA1 AND MET1 and
at least 1 year experience in gas installation."

Steve Walker[_5_] June 2nd 19 04:18 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 02/06/2019 07:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install
condemned, regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot leaks
outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our local
pressure regulator station.

I once worked for a company that had a vessel containing 15 tons of
liquified natural gas, used for fueling gas turbine or gas engined
industrial compressors on test.

When it was needed, liquid was fed to a small boiler that heated it and
the chemical smell was added.

They once suffered a leak in the chemical dosing system, releasing the
undiluted chemical into the atmosphere. People from offices and housing
all around the area were phoning reports of a massive gas leak in :)

SteveW

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 2nd 19 04:26 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

or too many onions ....

Steve Walker[_5_] June 2nd 19 09:56 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 02/06/2019 16:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Not quite the same though - I have also commissioned the controls on an
odour control system at a curry factory and the smell when opening the
inspection covers on the semi-closed cycle, spraymist absorption vessel
is pretty well 100% onion.

SteveW

F[_2_] June 4th 19 11:26 PM

Gas meter connection -safe?

On 01/06/2019 16:18, F wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2g6LbaV

We've had smart meters installed (don't ask!) and I'm not too sure on
whether or not the ribbed flexible connector to the supply is as it
should be. It looks a little stretched with that tight bend at the right
hand end.

Anyone with relevant gas installation knowledge care to comment?

Update: I got Network out and they pronounced it 'safe' but were not
impressed with the quality of the install.