Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Gas meter connection -safe?

Max Demian wrote:

On 02/06/2019 13:09, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After serious thinking wrote :
Reporting smelling gas gets you instantly cut off & your install
condemned, regardless of the cause.

Only if a leakage is confirmed. I have a good nose, regularly spot
leaks
outside and report them. Most recently I smelled a leak from our local
pressure regulator station.

while on holiday in a rented flat in Rothesay in the 50's my mother went
looking for a town gas leak with a match and found it with a nice wee
flame
spouting from a pipe........

Contrary to popular belief, searching for a gas leak with a lighted
match is probably fairly sensible; as long as the whole house didn't
blow up when you first lit the match, anyway.

but nobody was happy when she did that

That was the year I got a dirty big skelf in my bare foot from the wooden
Woolworths floors ....remember those? .....

We Sassenachs have things called "shoes".

Or "clogs" in the case of the North. Plenty of barefoot kids in the
streets in 1960s Leeds.

--

Roger Hayter