Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A warm glow :-)

Having just had to fit a new tube motor to my garage's roller shutter
door, then finally got around to tidying up its control unit box which
has sat with it's PCB dangling out for years - I took a look at another
frustration.

I have two wireless remote controls for it, one in the car, other in
the house, then a wired one inside the garage. The buttons contacts on
the remotes have been variable for a few years and being side by side,
with two spare unused buttons it has always been rather confusing which
to press for open and which for close door. One bluetacked near back
door, the other bluetacked on top of my rear view mirror.

Earlier in the week, I decided I needed to find a solution to the
remote button problems and confusion, so I ordered up some tiny
momentary on/off/on toggle switches. These wired across the remote's
failing buttons using some hdd ribbon cable, meant I could mount the
switches more sensibly - push up for open/ down for closed, simple, no
confusion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

You can get new remotes for just about anything like this from eBay or
aliexpress, cost very little too.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 30/05/2019, Chris Green supposed :
You can get new remotes for just about anything like this from eBay or
aliexpress, cost very little too.

I'm sure I could, but it would have to match my system so perhaps a lot
of trial and error to get the right one. I would still be stuck with
trying to remember which button was up and which down - hit the wrong
button and then the right one has to be pressed three times for some
strange reason, to reset the system - to get it to obey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
[...]

you can buy learning garage door remotes on ebay for a couple of quid.......

just got mine fitted...got it fitted on the outside this time to gain an
extra nine inches for the mustang.....the door goes up....the door goes
down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the
door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes
up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the
door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes
down.....the door goes up....the door goes down...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
on 30/05/2019, Chris Green supposed :
You can get new remotes for just about anything like this from eBay or
aliexpress, cost very little too.

I'm sure I could, but it would have to match my system so perhaps a lot of
trial and error to get the right one. I would still be stuck with trying
to remember which button was up and which down - hit the wrong button and
then the right one has to be pressed three times for some strange reason,
to reset the system - to get it to obey.

but but...they are learning remotes...I bought three different types

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
just got mine fitted...got it fitted on the outside this time to gain an
extra nine inches for the mustang.....the door goes up....the door goes
down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the
door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes
up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the
door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes
down.....the door goes up....the door goes down...tee hee

Be very, very careful - those door motors have a 4 minute run time
limit. Þ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I have often wondered about switches fitted to devices. Most are el
cheapo or worse, just conductive foam, and usually fail in about a year.
Back in the early days of infra red tv remotes we had little click switches
with hard button tops, never ever went wrong. Has to be a lesson there.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 31/05/2019 :
you can buy learning garage door remotes on ebay for a couple of quid.......

Where is the DIY in that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 30/05/2019, Chris Green supposed :
You can get new remotes for just about anything like this from eBay or
aliexpress, cost very little too.

I'm sure I could, but it would have to match my system so perhaps a lot
of trial and error to get the right one. I would still be stuck with
trying to remember which button was up and which down - hit the wrong
button and then the right one has to be pressed three times for some
strange reason, to reset the system - to get it to obey.

They're actually pretty generic as far as I've found, the only issue
is the frequency they use, if I remember old ones are 433MHz and new
ones are 485Mhz (433Mhz is theoretically illegal now but you can still
get 433MHz remotes if you try hard). I have several old 433MHz driven
garage doors and all the 433MHz remotes I have tried seem to work (I
bought quite a few over the years for different places - in the car, on
the 'bike keyring and hanging by the front door).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff submitted this idea :
Yes I have often wondered about switches fitted to devices. Most are el
cheapo or worse, just conductive foam, and usually fail in about a year. Back
in the early days of infra red tv remotes we had little click switches with
hard button tops, never ever went wrong. Has to be a lesson there.

These were actual tiny push button switches, I guess they used metal,
linking two contacts, there was no click. I got 5x on/off/on tiny
momentary switches for £4.49, used two and was able to fit them on
brackets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes

Back in the early days of infra red tv remotes we had little click switches
with hard button tops, never ever went wrong. Has to be a lesson there.

Yes Brian. The lesson learned by the manufacturers is that if things
don't break, consumers are less likely to replace them.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 30/05/2019, Chris Green supposed :
You can get new remotes for just about anything like this from eBay or
aliexpress, cost very little too.

I'm sure I could, but it would have to match my system so perhaps a lot
of trial and error to get the right one. I would still be stuck with
trying to remember which button was up and which down - hit the wrong
button and then the right one has to be pressed three times for some
strange reason, to reset the system - to get it to obey.

They're actually pretty generic as far as I've found, the only issue
is the frequency they use, if I remember old ones are 433MHz and new
ones are 485Mhz (433Mhz is theoretically illegal now but you can still
get 433MHz remotes if you try hard). I have several old 433MHz driven
garage doors and all the 433MHz remotes I have tried seem to work

You mean several garages all open at once?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 30/05/2019, Chris Green supposed :
You can get new remotes for just about anything like this from eBay or
aliexpress, cost very little too.

I'm sure I could, but it would have to match my system so perhaps a lot
of trial and error to get the right one. I would still be stuck with
trying to remember which button was up and which down - hit the wrong
button and then the right one has to be pressed three times for some
strange reason, to reset the system - to get it to obey.

They're actually pretty generic as far as I've found, the only issue
is the frequency they use, if I remember old ones are 433MHz and new
ones are 485Mhz (433Mhz is theoretically illegal now but you can still
get 433MHz remotes if you try hard). I have several old 433MHz driven
garage doors and all the 433MHz remotes I have tried seem to work

You mean several garages all open at once?

I've disabled the wireless part of the garage door controller for that
very reason. I don't know whether there is any unique coding but it's
very basic tech so I didn't want to take the risk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2019 09:18, Graeme wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes

Back in the early days of infra red tv remotes we had little click
switches
with hard button tops, never ever went wrong. Has to be a lesson there.

Yes Brian.Â* The lesson learned by the manufacturers is that if things
don't break, consumers are less likely to replace them.

And quality costs money.
It all goes back to T Bliars 'investing in people' - basiocally they
gave mony to people woith no sense, no class and no brains who hadn't
earnt it, and 'buying stuff' became their hobby then.

So the Rattner generation was born.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I have often wondered about switches fitted to devices. Most are el
cheapo or worse, just conductive foam, and usually fail in about a year.
Back in the early days of infra red tv remotes we had little click
switches with hard button tops, never ever went wrong. Has to be a
lesson there.

Do you mean what is generally called a tactile switch?

Just replaced the ones on my car remote. Got a new case for it too off
Ebay. Total cost about £20. New one from a dealer, £350, including coding.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
These were actual tiny push button switches, I guess they used metal,
linking two contacts, there was no click. I got 5x on/off/on tiny
momentary switches for £4.49, used two and was able to fit them on
brackets.

I found a box of assorted ones on Ebay. 10 each of ten sizes. About a
tenner and took about ten weeks to arrive from China. ;-)

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 30/05/2019, Chris Green supposed :
You can get new remotes for just about anything like this from eBay or
aliexpress, cost very little too.

I'm sure I could, but it would have to match my system so perhaps a lot
of trial and error to get the right one. I would still be stuck with
trying to remember which button was up and which down - hit the wrong
button and then the right one has to be pressed three times for some
strange reason, to reset the system - to get it to obey.

They're actually pretty generic as far as I've found, the only issue
is the frequency they use, if I remember old ones are 433MHz and new
ones are 485Mhz (433Mhz is theoretically illegal now but you can still
get 433MHz remotes if you try hard). I have several old 433MHz driven
garage doors and all the 433MHz remotes I have tried seem to work

You mean several garages all open at once?

No, strangely. :-) The remotes are programmable and most seem to have
four buttons (presumably they all use the same chip inside) and so you
can set them up to operate up to four doors (or other things). We do
actually have three remotely operated doors on two garages.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :
just got mine fitted...got it fitted on the outside this time to gain an
extra nine inches for the mustang.....the door goes up....the door goes
down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes
up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes
down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes
up....the door goes down.....the door goes up....the door goes
down.....the door goes up....the door goes down.....the door goes
up....the door goes down...tee hee

Be very, very careful - those door motors have a 4 minute run time limit.

oh right.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green explained on 31/05/2019 :
No, strangely. :-) The remotes are programmable and most seem to have
four buttons (presumably they all use the same chip inside) and so you
can set them up to operate up to four doors (or other things). We do
actually have three remotely operated doors on two garages.

One button opens the door, a second one closes it. Buttons three and
four do nothing. I also have an electronic code lock on the small side
door, with an option to use a Yale type key if that fails. I got fed up
of having to go back to the house, to grab the Yale key when I forgot
it, so fitted a key pad system, with an 8 digit code entry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 31/05/2019 09:18, Graeme wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes

Back in the early days of infra red tv remotes we had little click
switches
with hard button tops, never ever went wrong. Has to be a lesson there.

Yes Brian.Â* The lesson learned by the manufacturers is that if things
don't break, consumers are less likely to replace them.

And quality costs money.
It all goes back to T Bliars 'investing in people' - basiocally they
gave mony to people woith no sense, no class and no brains who hadn't
earnt it, and 'buying stuff' became their hobby then.

So the Rattner generation was born.

Ratner (one T) made his gaff denigrating his firms own products in 1991
when the Major Government was still
fairly young. T Blair didnt get into power till 1997.
You must be really desperate to make a connection when there is such a time
difference,
It is so wide of the mark that it makes you look ridiculous or suffering
from an age related mental illness.

GH