Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove coach bolts

I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 21:32, Murmansk wrote:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Weld a bit of L shaped bar to the head to act as a handle then cut it
off to do the next one and so on?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote

I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa
suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at
either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts -
a domed head with a square bit underneath.

Yes, thats a coach bolt. Originally used on real coaches,

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut
with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the
head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it
because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

You can drill a hole into the dome, into the square knob thing under
the dome and put a thing a bit like a thread tap, but tapered, forget
the name, into that hole and put a spanner on the square end of
the thing I cant think of the name of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"2987fr" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote

[...]

Screw extractor.
https://au.element14.com/duratool/d00163/screw-extractor-5pc/dp/1447442?gclid=CjwKCAiA8OjjBRB4EiwAMZe6y4XZC9O9zB7T U938haUZgFlHRX8W0s0Js-AG7P5pXAKFfBs3KnxwQhoCAlYQAvD_BwE&gross_price=true &mckv=s_dc|pcrid|333874817699|pkw||pmt||slid||prod uct|1447442|pgrid|66778631243|ptaid|pla-293946777986|&CMP=KNC-GOO-SHOPPING-1447442#

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote
Murmansk wrote

I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa
suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at
either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach
bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the
nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up
the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it
because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Weld a bit of L shaped bar to the head to act as a handle

Not easy to do with the head down a hole.

then cut it off to do the next one and so on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk has brought this to us :
Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Centre pop the middle of the dome, then drill into it with progressivly
larger drill bits, to the thickness of the thread. The dome will then
come free and the rest of the bolt pulled out. It the head tries to
turn as you drill, clamp the nut with a mole grip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"2987fr" wrote in message ...
Murmansk wrote

[...]

Once youve drilled a sufficiently large hole in the head it will separate
from the shank and you should be able to punch the bolt through
to the other side, ideally (or ironically) using a similarly sized bolt
using the mushroom head to take the impact.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-03-02 3:06 p.m., Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Murmansk has brought this to us :
Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Centre pop the middle of the dome, then drill into it with progressivly
larger drill bits, to the thickness of the thread. The dome will then
come free and the rest of the bolt pulled out. It the head tries to turn
as you drill, clamp the nut with a mole grip.

cut it off with a torch
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 09:04:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Weld a bit of L shaped bar to the head to act as a handle

Not easy to do with the head down a hole.

Or, as in your case, with your head eternally up your arse!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 08:59:27 +1100, 2987fr, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

You can drill a hole into the dome,

Someone obviously drilled a hole in your dome, senile Ozzietard! BG

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk Wrote in message:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Cut the nut end off ? Angle grinder, hacksaw, multi tool?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 21:32, Murmansk wrote:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Altogether, one, two, three: ANGLEGRINDER!!!

Seriously - and maybe this is what Jim was thinking of - could you slice
through the timber with an anglegrinder in such a direction that
inserting a new splint of wood will give the structure its strength back
and also cut through the shaft of the bolt in such a place that you can
pop each severed half out of there? Beware of metal sparks setting dry
timber on fire!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"2987fr" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote

[...]

Not with the smallest screw extractor and that's
just the one hole. If you drill a big enough hole
to see the head come off, you'd need to drill
a number of increasing sized holes.

and you should be able to punch the bolt through to the other side,
ideally (or ironically) using a similarly sized bolt using the mushroom
head to take the impact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
Murmansk Wrote in message:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on
chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed
head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a
socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns
as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a
hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Cut the nut end off ? Angle grinder, hacksaw, multi tool?

Indeed. Or use one of these; £6.50 for the pair

https://www.toolstation.com/nut-splitter-set/p80007

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-03-02 3:06 p.m., Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Murmansk has brought this to us :
Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Centre pop the middle of the dome, then drill into it with progressivly
larger drill bits, to the thickness of the thread. The dome will then
come free and the rest of the bolt pulled out. It the head tries to turn
as you drill, clamp the nut with a mole grip.

cut it off with a torch

Much harder to do with it down a hole as he said the heads are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 21:32:30 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

The mains methods are already mentioned. A couple mo
Use a left handed drill bit into the head & put ATF on the nut to make it come free easier.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message

On 2019-03-02 3:06 p.m., Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Murmansk has brought this to us :
Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Centre pop the middle of the dome, then drill into it with progressivly
larger drill bits, to the thickness of the thread. The dome will then
come free and the rest of the bolt pulled out. It the head tries to
turn as you drill, clamp the nut with a mole grip.

cut it off with a torch

Much harder to do with it down a hole as he said the heads are.

The nut end

Better to do that with a nut cracker or a multitool so you don't **** the
wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 21:32, Murmansk wrote:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Cut across the thread level with the visible face of the nut, using an
angle grinder with a thin wheel. Cut the nut in half by cutting into the
bolt end and thus the nut, at right angles to the previous cut. Stop
short of damaging the wood. Break off the halves of the nut using a cold
chisel. Bash the end of the bolt so it retracts. If this isn't enough to
make the head grabable bash it some more using an old bolt or something
(and a hammer).

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grind the head off down the hole and get new bolts?

Is there any spare threaded part blow the nut you can use a pair of moles
on?
If its really rusted up there may not be any other way than to cut the bolt
itself by the nut, sadly either way if you intend refurbishing it next time
find some galvanised or stainless bolts.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa
suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either
end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a
domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut
with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head
of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the
head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very often you can get the squared end to re-engage with the wood by hammering the domed end further into the wood. The only problem might be if the nut is badly rusted on it will simply start to turn again once any torque is applied. Worth a try along with a good dosing of easing oil on the nut, you will not be in a worse position if it does not work.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 21:32, Murmansk wrote:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Just drill into the head using a drill slightly larger in dia than the
bolt. (You will need a centre punch, may be a pilot hole.) Once you've
drilled through the head, it will part company with the rest of the bolt.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

A friend of mine,no longer with use called it his bodger...

Someone I know has the name of greg bodger.

Cant imagine what his ancestors got up to for the life of me.

However a lot of coach bolts tend to be quite soft and it won't work very
well.

It will in fact work fine.

"2987fr" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 11:45:32 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

cut it off with a torch

Much harder to do with it down a hole as he said the heads are.

Senile Ozzietard knows it all better, again and again and again... LMAO

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2019 09:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Very often you can get the squared end to re-engage with the wood by hammering the domed end further into the wood. The only problem might be if the nut is badly rusted on it will simply start to turn again once any torque is applied. Worth a try along with a good dosing of easing oil on the nut, you will not be in a worse position if it does not work.

....and possibly in a _better_ position - to cut the bolt above the nut
and then drive it out

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 13:26:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Much harder to do with it down a hole as he said the heads are.

The nut end

Better to do that with a nut cracker or a multitool so you don't **** the
wood.

Senile Ozzietard knows it all better, again and again and again... LMAO

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 11:38:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Once youve drilled a sufficiently large hole in the head it will separate
from the shank

Not with the smallest screw extractor and that's
just the one hole. If you drill a big enough hole
to see the head come off, you'd need to drill
a number of increasing sized holes.

Senile Ozzietard knows it all better, again and again and again... LMAO

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell Wrote in message:
[...]

Er no I was suggesting the op cuts the nut off at the other end
from the recessed coach bolt head. He has access as he is trying
to turn it?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote

A friend of mine,no longer with use called it his bodger...

Someone I know has the name of greg bodger.

Cant imagine what his ancestors got up to for the life of me.

Presumably they lived in huts* in the woods around High Wycombe
and made Windsor Chairs.**

Bodging use to mean using a high level of skill to make
highly practical objects using a very restricted range of
tools. Unfortunately those skills didn't necessarily
incorporate very much business sense and so they never
got rich as a result.

It's only latterly that its come to mean making a Horlicks
of something.

The High Wycombe furniture business was revived in the
1920's by a chap called Lucian Ercolani. Although they
also made Windsor Chairs he wasn't himself descended
from bodgers. The clue is in the name.

michael adams

* At a time when most other yokels lived in similar or worse

** Chairs where all the joints consisted of turned ends
fitted into augered holes. And chair seats were fashioned
with spokeshaves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 20:17:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

A friend of mine,no longer with use called it his bodger...

Someone I know has the name of greg bodger.

Make that someone IMAGINARY you pretend to know, you forsaken psychopathic
swine!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , michael
adams writes

Bodging use to mean using a high level of skill to make
highly practical objects using a very restricted range of
tools. Unfortunately those skills didn't necessarily
incorporate very much business sense and so they never
got rich as a result.

It's only latterly that its come to mean making a Horlicks
of something.

Only by those who really mean 'botch'. There's a world of a difference
between the two
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , michael
adams writes

"Jim K.." wrote in message
Murmansk Wrote in message:
[...]

I've never used a nut-splitter before. Even if it doesn't actually crack
the nut, I guess that it might distort it slightly (especially if used
repeatedly at several angles) and break the rust in the threads -
allowing penetrating oil to get in better.

Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes

Bodging use to mean using a high level of skill to make
highly practical objects using a very restricted range of
tools. Unfortunately those skills didn't necessarily
incorporate very much business sense and so they never
got rich as a result.

It's only latterly that its come to mean making a Horlicks
of something.

Only by those who really mean 'botch'. There's a world of a difference between the two

"The Oxford English Dictionary Supplement of 1972 has two definitions
for bodger, one is a local dialect word from Buckinghamshire, for
chair leg turner. The other is Australian slang for bad workmanship.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

Rodney hails from Australia. Although from quite where exactly,
or under what circumstances he actually subsists, is rather
difficult to establish.

Another possible definition might be to do a competent job with
improvised tools.

That link describes them as "itinerants" when in fact they
weren't. While they might be taken as the woodworking
equivalent of "Tinkers" who were tinsmiths, the latter really
were itinerant as they travelled around the country repairing
pots and pans, among other things.
The bodgers only ever stayed in one place the woods around
High Wycombe.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 00:09:12 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

Altogether, one, two, three: ANGLEGRINDER!!!

Seriously - and maybe this is what Jim was thinking of - could you slice
through the timber with an anglegrinder in such a direction that
inserting a new splint of wood will give the structure its strength back
and also cut through the shaft of the bolt in such a place that you can
pop each severed half out of there?

But why? Cut a slot in the head, insert screwdriver in slot, hold head while
recessed nut is turned by the socket...

Beware of metal sparks setting dry
timber on fire!

That. And sparks hitting glass and burning in...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
Nick Odell Wrote in message:
[...]

But it might be in a hole in the wood and he is using a socket on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

A friend of mine,no longer with use called it his bodger...

Someone I know has the name of greg bodger.

Cant imagine what his ancestors got up to for the life of me.

That was a joke, joyce.

Presumably they lived in huts* in the woods around
High Wycombe and made Windsor Chairs.**

This is rather more plausible, because those doing
your bodging would have got their surnames long
before their descendents did much bodging.
https://www.houseofnames.com/bodger-family-crest

Bodging use to mean using a high level of skill to
make highly practical objects using a very restricted
range of tools. Unfortunately those skills didn't
necessarily incorporate very much business
sense and so they never got rich as a result.

It's only latterly that its come to mean
making a Horlicks of something.

The High Wycombe furniture business was revived in
the 1920's by a chap called Lucian Ercolani. Although
they also made Windsor Chairs he wasn't himself
descended from bodgers. The clue is in the name.

And I bet no one he employed had a surname of bodger.

* At a time when most other yokels lived in similar or worse

** Chairs where all the joints consisted of turned ends fitted into
augered holes. And chair seats were fashioned with spokeshaves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2019 14:32, michael adams wrote:

"The Oxford English Dictionary Supplement of 1972 has two definitions
for bodger, one is a local dialect word from Buckinghamshire, for
chair leg turner. The other is Australian slang for bad workmanship.[1]"

That's typical of effete southern dictionaries. In Yorkshire bodging
means fondling a lady's breasts in the hope of arousing her sexually.
Sometimes it's done in conjunction with nibbling, and if the gentleman
shaves, by 'sanding', which is rubbing the breasts (esp the nipples)
with stubble until she squeals.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Altogether, one, two, three: ANGLEGRINDER!!!

Seriously - and maybe this is what Jim was thinking of - could you slice
through the timber with an anglegrinder in such a direction that
inserting a new splint of wood will give the structure its strength back
and also cut through the shaft of the bolt in such a place that you can
pop each severed half out of there?

But why? Cut a slot in the head, insert screwdriver in slot, hold head while
recessed nut is turned by the socket...

Ah, I geddit now: The head is down the hole...

I'd stick a flat screwdriver down the hole, and try to wedge it between the edge
of the domed head and the wall of the hole, in the hope that the nut won't need
a lot of torque to come off.

Thomas Prufer