Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How to remove coach bolts

Brian Gaff wrote

A friend of mine,no longer with use called it his bodger...

Someone I know has the name of greg bodger.

Cant imagine what his ancestors got up to for the life of me.

However a lot of coach bolts tend to be quite soft and it won't work very
well.

It will in fact work fine.

"2987fr" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote

I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa
suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at
either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach
bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

Yes, that's a coach bolt. Originally used on real coaches,

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the
nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up
the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it
because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

You can drill a hole into the dome, into the square knob thing under
the dome and put a thing a bit like a thread tap, but tapered, forget
the name, into that hole and put a spanner on the square end of
the thing I cant think of the name of.