Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default How to remove coach bolts

On 02/03/2019 21:32, Murmansk wrote:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Cut across the thread level with the visible face of the nut, using an
angle grinder with a thin wheel. Cut the nut in half by cutting into the
bolt end and thus the nut, at right angles to the previous cut. Stop
short of damaging the wood. Break off the halves of the nut using a cold
chisel. Bash the end of the bolt so it retracts. If this isn't enough to
make the head grabable bash it some more using an old bolt or something
(and a hammer).

Bill