Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How to remove coach bolts

"michael adams" wrote in message

"2987fr" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote

I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa
suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at
either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach
bolts - a domed head with a square bit underneath.

Yes, that's a coach bolt. Originally used on real coaches,

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the
nut with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up
the head of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it
because the head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

You can drill a hole into the dome, into the square knob thing under
the dome and put a thing a bit like a thread tap, but tapered, forget
the name, into that hole and put a spanner on the square end of
the thing I cant think of the name of.

Once youve drilled a sufficiently large hole in the head it will separate
from the shank

Not with the smallest screw extractor and that's
just the one hole. If you drill a big enough hole
to see the head come off, you'd need to drill
a number of increasing sized holes.

and you should be able to punch the bolt through to the other side,
ideally (or ironically) using a similarly sized bolt using the mushroom
head to take the impact.