Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default How to remove coach bolts

Grind the head off down the hole and get new bolts?

Is there any spare threaded part blow the nut you can use a pair of moles
on?
If its really rusted up there may not be any other way than to cut the bolt
itself by the nut, sadly either way if you intend refurbishing it next time
find some galvanised or stainless bolts.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa
suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either
end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach bolts - a
domed head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn the nut
with a socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head
of the bolt turns as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the
head is domed and down a hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?